2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We're 8-2 and control our destiny for HFA. I think choosing to spend money elsewhere than WR has been a fine choice.

Packers HAD TO spend big dollars on defense due to Thompson's crap drafts and doing nothing in free agency his last few years.  They needed a massive infusion of talent more so than the offense and Gute got it done very well through the draft and free agency.  No doubt the money spent upgrading the D over wr was indeed a fine choice.  That being said, help is still needed on the d line and inside linebacker but the offensive needs for next year are as much or more at ot, wr, and te.  There will be some $$ available for free agency and with Gute utilizing the draft choices wisely as he shown he can, next year could be even more special than this year.  I'm confident the good decisions shown by Packer brass will continue to improve this team by every and any means available. 

21 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Came here to post this. It's easier to see now why Gute punted on WR in the last draft. We could be looking at someone better than AJ Brown on Day 1-2 next year.

It'll be interesting to see how many of those guys drop to the 3-5 round. Lots of dudes 6-4 to 6-6 in this draft. Not too many 5-10 to 6-2 guys either. I think we'll get our guy early Day 3 TBH. 

20 hours ago, Howler said:

Some of these so-called high round WR busts can be attributed to system and quarterback. Take for example, Robert Woods who toiled away in Buffalo, until he was reborn with the rams. 

14 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

And then there’s Treadwell, Kevin something for the Bears, that Chargers WR and three dozen other first round receivers that just bust.

Your success as a WR is a 50/50 deal with few exceptions. It's 50% you and 50% where you go. Half the issue with Treadwell is because of that QB situation and coaching, Kevin White is an injury bust, Mike Williams is dealing with a run-first HC in San Diego, and many of the other 1st round busts just couldn't adjust to the pro game. We're seeing fewer busts at skill positions simply because scouting now is much better than it was as recent as 5 years ago.

17 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Same applies to ILB. 2019 was a bad year for that position and I'm hearing 2020 should be much better. RB should be good as well, so WR, ILB and (possibly later) RB, are all potential targets for Green Bay. Some of the other need positions (like OT and DL) look like they are average years, while TE looks poor. Of course who declares will make a difference to the overall quality. 

Is anyone hearing different to what i am saying or has something to add for the quality of the 2020 draft ?

I'd question ILB a bit. There's really nobody that stands out as a 1st round pick like Roquan Smith did a couple years ago and the closest guy is Malik Harrison who has a ton of talent in front of him. TE is very poor this year, but the OT class is looking really good and maybe even deeper than WR. How good are they as a fit for what we do is really the only question.

14 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Shaping up nice for the Pack.  Wish we would have taken advantage of DT's last year.  Came away with Keke that's it.  WR, ILB, and RB are all needs for us.  RB is for the future of course.  Teams are going to be very desperate for OT's.  Number of teams very weak there.  We will need one too but not the year for a high draft pick.  Don't think Gutey will have a choice but to re-up Bulaga.  DL and ILB are probably the most pressing.  Ughhh more D.  Maybe we can plug in FA and concentrate on the offense for once.

Why are teams going to be desperate for OTs? I know New England will be all over OL, TE, and WR this year, but I can really only think of a handful of teams struggling along the OL. I'd also wait on Dexter Williams to see what we have. He showed a lot of good things in the preseason so unless we really like a Najee Harris or someone like that, I can't see us addressing it outside of maybe a late round pick. I would've loved to have taken Dexter Lawrence this last year, but Gary can 3-tech when necessary so I'm not as frustrated about selecting Gary as others. 

Again, I think rounds 3-5 are where we can find that solid WR2 or one that can develop into a WR2 moving forward so we roll into next year with Adams, Draft Pick(s), ESB, MVS, and Lazard. 

Edited by Joe

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He had a bad camp because he wasn't getting beat writers love like Kumerow and Lazard.

EQ wasnt getting talked up on a daily / consistent basis because he was having nothing but a quiet/consistent camp (as supported by the post by Shanedorf). He was just getting what little they were asking of him done. Let's face it - there wasnt much to the GBP's training camp / PS. I dont think there was much positional competition to EQs situation - but who knows.

The organization sidelined him for the season - which leads me to think his injuries were more extensive than reported / known - or it could reflect a less than positive perspective from the GM/new coaching staff. The season long IR is a wildcard.

Meanwhile the social media world was ablaze with the underdog stories of Kumerow and to a lesser extent Sheppard and Lazard.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I'd question ILB a bit. There's really nobody that stands out as a 1st round pick like Roquan Smith did a couple years ago and the closest guy is Malik Harrison who has a ton of talent in front of him. TE is very poor this year, but the OT class is looking really good and maybe even deeper than WR. How good are they as a fit for what we do is really the only question.

Look at this thread in 'Football's Future NFL Draft'. It is a positive thread (in terms of prospects) from multiple posters, who follow that kind of thing much closer than i do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Look at this thread in 'Football's Future NFL Draft'. It is a positive thread (in terms of prospects) from multiple posters, who follow that kind of thing much closer than i do.

saw that, but do a lot of them hold up well against the run. That's our biggest issue. Sure, we could use either/or but if the class is really that deep, do we really need to pick one before Day 3?

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He had a bad camp because he wasn't getting beat writers love like Kumerow and Lazard.

Preseason stats:

Jake Kumerow--7 catches, 99 yards

Allen Lazard--6 catches, 114 yards

Equanimeous St. Brown--1 catch, 7 yards

Maybe he was a world-beater in practice, but I doubt it, considering that he was well down in the pecking order and couldn't get open when he did get into the games. It was disappointing after the promise he showed as a rookie. The lackluster preseason was probably one reason they shut him down for the year. I hope he comes back strong next year, but he may be on the outside looking in, especially if they draft a receiver or two. 

1 minute ago, Greg C. said:

Preseason stats:

Maybe he was a world-beater in practice, but I doubt it, considering that he was well down in the pecking order and couldn't get open when he did get into the games. It was disappointing after the promise he showed as a rookie. The lackluster preseason was probably one reason they shut him down for the year. I hope he comes back strong next year, but he may be on the outside looking in, especially if they draft a receiver or two. 

Snap counts please

Just now, Greg C. said:

Preseason stats:

We had Tim Boyle and Kizer as preseason QBs.