If you had to pick one  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

Of the three choices, I’d say Kumerow, Shepherd, Davis in that order.

Too bad Trevor Davis is already dinged; he’s valuable for his return abilities, and showed promise as gunner last year. He just can’t stay on the field.

Unless practice snaps are completely meaningless, Kumerow is a lock barring injury. Worst case, he's our No. 4 guy right now. He's ahead of ESB and miles ahead of Moore. If Moore makes this team it will 100% be a unilateral decision by Gute. The only true battle IMO is the No. 6 spot, probably between Davis and Shepherd who are similar players. 

For some reason I feel like Shepherd is going to have the best career of these 3...

But I also really liked Moore, too. So I suck.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, deathstar said:

This is what it seems the depth chart is right now: 

Adams, then MVS & Allison, then Kumerow, then Davis and maybe EQ. St. Brown hasn't really had a stellar camp, or a bad one; he just hasn't had a second year leap like MVS. Right now I think it's Moore vs. Shep vs. the last RB/TE/OL. If Moore doesn't just loosen up and start catching **** he's gone. Then it's up to Shep to make Gute decide to keep 7 WRs and last night he made some strides there.

Lot of different opinions here. My take is this. D.Adams, MVS, Allison, ESB, Davis (if he gets fit fairly quickly), Kumerow, Shepherd, Moore, Lazard.

Adams and MVS are the two outside guys, Allison in the slot for the 1,2,3. Kumerow is fighting ESB, Moore, Shepherd etc to stick. I rate ESB above Kumerow because while they both catch well and have good length, ESB is five years younger, faster and more athletic. The quality of Kumerow's route running is not enough to pick him over an ascending ESB. Davis is a burner whose value was as a returner (and gunner) on ST, and who has learned this year how to be an effective receiver. When you are looking at 5th and 6th receivers, good ST play counts for a lot, so I rate him over Kumerow as well.

This contradicts the current Packers.com depth chart where Kumerow is listed as second string and both ESB and Davis are third string, but how I listed them above, is how I think it plays out. 

In my opinion, the quality of his route running, good size and trust he has with AR, puts Kumerow above Shepherd, who has made many splash plays in camp and is also a returner, but is 5" shorter. He is also ahead of the 6'4"+ Lazard. All three are in the  4.52 to 4.55 range in speed. therefore if the Packers keep 6 receivers (and i think they do), Kumerow gets on the team, while Moore misses out.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Lot of different opinions here. My take is this. D.Adams, MVS, Allison, ESB, Davis (if he gets fit fairly quickly), Kumerow, Shepherd, Moore, Lazard.

Adams and MVS are the two outside guys, Allison in the slot for the 1,2,3. Kumerow is fighting ESB, Moore, Shepherd etc to stick. I rate ESB above Kumerow because while they both catch well and have good length, ESB is five years younger, faster and more athletic. The quality of Kumerow's route running is not enough to pick him over an ascending ESB. Davis is a burner whose value was as a returner (and gunner) on ST, and who has learned this year how to be an effective receiver. When you are looking at 5th and 6th receivers, good ST play counts for a lot, so I rate him over Kumerow as well.

This contradicts the current Packers.com depth chart where Kumerow is listed as second string and both ESB and Davis are third string, but how I listed them above, is how I think it plays out. 

In my opinion, the quality of his route running, good size and trust he has with AR, puts Kumerow above Shepherd, who has made many splash plays in camp and is also a returner, but is 5" shorter. He is also ahead of the 6'4"+ Lazard. All three are in the  4.52 to 4.55 range in speed. therefore if the Packers keep 6 receivers (and i think they do), Kumerow gets on the team, while Moore misses out.

I'm just going off of what I saw in Family Night and the game last night. Kumerow is the first off the bench for the WRs right now. Everything you've said comparing EQ and Kumerow makes sense and is fairly accurate, but based on current usage Kumerow's got a stranglehold on the 4th spot.

Posted (edited)

I hope they don't give up on Moore, he's has the most talent of the 3 young guys. 

He's playing too tight because he feels the heat and he's putting too much pressure on himself. 

Rodgers or someone really needs to pull the kid to the side and settle him down. I believe Moore's struggles are more mental, he's thinking more than just playing free.

I really like Lazard. He's the biggest receiver on the roster at 6'5 230 and a catching machine. With  Graham & Lewis leaving next year maybe he'll be a good candidate to convert to TE.

Shepherd is a poor man's Randle Cobb, lacks speed but very Shifty. Rodgers really likes the kid and the coaches talk about how smart he is and how he's picked up the playbook so fast. He could be a nice slot replacement at a fraction of the cost of Cobb.

Edited by St Vince

17 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

How I would handicap the WR battle;

Adams, MVS, and ESB are locks to make the roster. 

Kummerow and Allison I'd put at 90% to make the roster for both guys. There are a few factors that could contribute to them not making it (injury, age, lack of pedigree/upside)

Davis or Sheppard will make the team as a returner (I'd handicap it as Davis as a 2-1 favorite since I think he's better, but there is the injury factor)

Moore would have to ball out on special teams, and need an injury (to Kumerow or Allison). I give him a 10-20% chance of making the team 

Lazzard won't make the team unless 3 guys get hurt.

I think you've nailed it.

I'd love to see Sheppard on the PS and then fill in for Kumerow or Allison next year if either leaves via free agency.

I do think it is time to give up on Moore.  He's living up to his draft profile - great athlete, but focus issues that lead to drops.  He might be a better route runner this year, but he looks so uncomfortable catching the ball. 

We're not lacking young receivers with high upside, either.  If MVS or EQ fizzle out this year, it sounds like the draft next year is loaded with receivers.  

In an ideal world, I'd keep Adams, MVS, Allison, EQ, Kumerow, and Davis on the 53.  I'd like to see Sheppard and Lazard on the PS.  In this situation I think you have the top 6 wide receivers that can contribute THIS YEAR.  

Next year Allison and Davis are both UFA.  If one or both are allowed to leave, then ideally Sheppard or a draft pick could step in the 5th or 6th spot.

Every year we have receivers that we feel we just have to keep.  The hand wringing that I, and hundreds of other fans have participated in over guys like Abby, DeAngelo Yancey, Dupre, Kevin Dorsey, Myles White, Charles Johnson, Alex Gillett, and that other white kid that everybody fell in love with a handful of years back.  (I looked for 15 minutes and for the life of me I can't find his name back...)  

If we're going to stash a high-upside guy, I'd rather it be at a position that doesn't have 100 guys on the street that can do the same thing.  Keep an offensive or defensive lineman.  Keep an extra DB - lord knows we go through enough.  But don't keep an extra wide receiver when you could have 3 guys with just as much ability sitting on the practice squad.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

I hope they don't give up on Moore, he's has the most talent of the 3 young guys. 

He's playing too tight because he feels the heat and he's putting too much pressure on himself. 

Rodgers or someone really needs to pull the kid to the side and settle him down. I believe Moore's struggles are more mental, he's thinking more than just playing free.

I really like Lazard. He's the biggest receiver on the roster at 6'5 230 and a catching machine. With  Graham & Lewis leaving next year maybe he'll be a good candidate to convert to TE.

Shepherd is a poor man's Randle Cobb, lacks speed but very Shifty. Rodgers really likes the kid and the coaches talk about how smart he is and how he's picked up the playbook so fast. He could be a nice slot replacement at a fraction of the cost of Cobb.

Think you are confusing talent with potential.  I  see no argument where you could argue that Moore is more talented than any of the 3 guys listed.  It's surely not an argument that's based on much that has happened thus far in his NFL career.  At some point we've got to stop ignoring everything he's doing or not doing on the field because we're overly obsessed about his athletic profile in gym shorts.  

I had some hope for Moore when he was struggling last year, but at this point I expect his time in a GB uniform is coming to its end.  Falling down on routes because he's cutting off the wrong foot is not a good sign that Moore is grasping the technical aspects of the position any better than he is grasping the balls that continue to bounce off his hands.

My hope from the day they were drafted was that one of Moore, MVS and EQ would pan out, and that goal still seems to be on track.

Posted (edited)

The most interesting part for me will be the shakedown in numbers between the big and physical (and fast) that Gute has prioritized vs the small and quick (and fast) that I have a feeling MLF may want. I have a feeling that will be the final nail in Moore's coffin, but maybe they try to sneak him on the PS as a last resort

Edited by cannondale

I'm glad I'm not making this decision.

Davante, MVS, EQ and Allison are locks.

Kumerow I cannot see not make it. Rapport with Rodgers, consistent, beating starters like Jaire and Roby. It's happening. 

Moore- hasn't shown much but his ceiling is just so high. We do have high upside guys in MVS and EQ but I just don't want to give up on him.

Davis is  By far the best special teamer and seemingly has improved as a WR. Can he continue to impress in pads or stay healthy? I don't know. 

I think Moore is the one on the block. But if I were making the decision, I think I'm keeping all 7 and cutting elsewhere. Talent is talent, and I wouldn't want to give up on the up-side of Moore for a depth piece. 

I saw someone make a "poor man's Randall Cobb" comp for Darrius Sheppard.  

I'm seeing more Victor Cruz than Cobb.  He's a touch lighter and shorter than Cruz, but I get that vibe when I watch him.  

Anybody else see it?

I don't see any world where Moore would be claimed by another team after being released by GB.  If Moore is to continue his development in GB, it should be on the PS.

5 hours ago, Cheech said:

Every year we have receivers that we feel we just have to keep.  The hand wringing that I, and hundreds of other fans have participated in over guys like Abby...and that other white kid that everybody fell in love with a handful of years back.  (I looked for 15 minutes and for the life of me I can't find his name back...)

Max McCaffrey?