2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

7 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Somebody help me out here. IIRC Jones was good catching balls with his little fingers together. He was bad at catches with his thumbs together. In other words, low balls facing the QB were no problem. High balls were problematic. That's what I noticed about him. I don't have any empirical data. 

Adams had some early problems with drops, but it never seemed to be about hand-eye coordination and hard hands, which are, I think, Moore's problems. I don't know how you solve that. That sort of thing may be hard-wired into one's nervous system.

If you assume it's hand eye and hard hands. He's dropped some of the easiest passes I've ever seen last PS. That's not good, but I don't think you make it that long in college and get taken 4th round of that's EXACTLY what it is.

Looks like a dude thinking too much to me. But what do I know. I'm from another planet where I think Rashan Gary can't play ILB and Jake Kumerow isn't great at getting open.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Yup. To justify keeping Kumerow on the roster beating out Allison is a must. If he cannot then we're wasting a roster space keeping him. He probably wouldn't even be a game day active as 4th receiver - that's probably Davis. He's essentially taking away a spot from a young high upside player.

If Kumerow beats out Allison then the same logic must apply to Allison. Cut him as he's essentially taking away a spot from a younger higher upside receiver.

In fact I had a sudden spark of memory just now....Allison does not play special teams at all does he. I seem to recall he barely played any ST snaps in his rookie season.  If that is still true then he has to establish himself as a starter to justify keeping him otherwise cutting him becomes a very viable possibility. Another factor to consider, Allison is going to be a FA next year and if he's not going to be part of our long term plans then cutting him is going to be easy. The likelihood of Allison getting cut is surprisingly high isn't it??

Man I've talked myself into being ok with cutting Allison. 

And if Kumerow is better than Geronimo Allison, I'm not losing any sleep over it.  If they choose to keep Allison over Kumerow, again I'm not losing any sleep over it.  The Packers top 3 WRs (right now) are Adams, MVS, and Allison in some order.  I think Allison's longer track record gives him a healthy edge over Kumerow.  And neither has a ST edge, so it comes down to who is going to perform better in 2019.

23 minutes ago, St Vince said:

We may lose one or maybe two these receivers to Detroit. I guess the question would be which one would you be comfortable letting Detroit get.

I'm hoping like hell J'mon puts it together and makes this team. My worse nightmare would be him getting cut and going to Detroit and becoming the receiver we're hoping he would become here. And to add insult to injury coming back and torching our secondary twice a year.

Kumerow is another receiver I would hate to see in an Lions uniform. Guy just makes plays.

I guess I'd be comfortable with Davis going to Detroit because he's always hurt. I hope Shepherd and Lazard make it to the PS but that doesn't seem likely if they keep playing good in the preseason.

IF the Packers were to move on from J'Mon Moore, I'd imagine someone would gamble and trade a conditional draft pick for him.  Maybe nothing special, but I'd bet someone would gamble on his tools.  Less confident about Kumerow.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's not upside.  That's production.  And his production has largely come against backups.  He was "healthy" for the second half of the year last year, and the games (Jets and Lions) in which he played in over 50% of the snaps was a byproduct of players missing games.  Against the Lions, Davante Adams and ESB were inactive, and he was the top 3 WR along with Randall Cobb and MVS, although that's not saying much given WR4 was J'Mon Moore.  Against the Jets, he was the 3rd most used WR.  Your argument looks a LOT stronger IF Adams or Allison aren't playing.

When I think of upside I think of it from a production stand point.

lions game was a absolute scratch , that team didn’t care. 

A QB-WR connection can go a long way 

15 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

nope .. they showed me.  4th round picks don't get as much slack.

What separates the two of them though?  They were picked 80 spots apart.  Adams has 38 receptions and 446 receiving yards on 738 snaps.  J'Mon Moore had 2 receptions on 33 yards on 74 snaps.  Davante Adams got a LOT more opportunity to perform.

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

When I think of upside I think of it from a production stand point.

lions game was a absolute scratch , that team didn’t care. 

A QB-WR connection can go a long way 

Upside for me is what are they now, and what are they possibly going to become.  Kumerow isn't going to be better than he is now.  He's an assignment-sure player who probably isn't going to be any better than he is now.  A zebra doesn't change it's stripes.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Upside for me is what are they now, and what are they possibly going to become.  Kumerow isn't going to be better than he is now.  He's an assignment-sure player who probably isn't going to be any better than he is now.  A zebra doesn't change it's stripes.

Not consciously....but when being eaten by a pride of lions...its stripes change dramatically. I thought to mention that for some unknown reason :)

7 hours ago, Donzo said:

If you want to complain about Moore’s drops and ignore his borderline elite ability to get open, then there isn’t anything to talk about… Just like if I said you can’t talk about his drops and only emphasize his fantastic skill set.

In recent history, the Packers have had two elite route runners, Adams and Jennings. Peak Jordy was damn good, too; but Adams and Jennings are the standard.

Moore is close to Adams and Jennings. He’ll probably be there with them if he can overcome the drops.

Moore ran 3 routes in college.  I dont think we should conflate route running with his athletic ability.  

If Gute determines that he has too high a ceiling to risk losing him, he won't.  Last year everything got sorted out and we had Cobb in the mix.  I'm not terribly concerned.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

What separates the two of them though?  They were picked 80 spots apart.  Adams has 38 receptions and 446 receiving yards on 738 snaps.  J'Mon Moore had 2 receptions on 33 yards on 74 snaps.  Davante Adams got a LOT more opportunity to perform.

Yup, that's true.  Maybe they needed Davante at the time more than Moore?  Maybe Davante showed more than J'Mon in practice?   Only the coaches know for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Moore ran 3 routes in college.  I dont think we should conflate route running with his athletic ability.  

If Gute determines that he has too high a ceiling to risk losing him, he won't.  Last year everything got sorted out and we had Cobb in the mix.  I'm not terribly concerned.

That's my thing. Played one side. Didn't run a ton of routes, still feel like he gets space. There's a million ifs with him but there ALWAYS was. I think the consensus was we'd know by year 3 kinda thing. I know that's cliche but with him, moreso.

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

That's my thing. Played one side. Didn't run a ton of routes, still feel like he gets space. There's a million ifs with him but there ALWAYS was. I think the consensus was we'd know by year 3 kinda thing. I know that's cliche but with him, moreso.

Totally get it.  He has a great combination of size, athleticism and fluidity.  

The thing is, he was immediately passed up by two guys in his same class that were drafted after him.  MVS busted his *** to get better.  Maybe his college offense wasn't sophisticated enough, and maybe my first impression was less than stellar, but the kid absolutely took his game to another level.  EQ seemingly took a few more months to come around, but the flashes turned into production.

Now we have a UDFA out of a FBS school making noise in the slot and a UDFA in Lazard who is making plays as well.  

At some point, and hopefully soon, Moore needs to take that potential and produce a no-doubter game where he shuts everyone up.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Totally get it.  He has a great combination of size, athleticism and fluidity.  

The thing is, he was immediately passed up by two guys in his same class that were drafted after him.  MVS busted his *** to get better.  Maybe his college offense wasn't sophisticated enough, and maybe my first impression was less than stellar, but the kid absolutely took his game to another level.  EQ seemingly took a few more months to come around, but the flashes turned into production.

Now we have a UDFA out of a FBS school making noise in the slot and a UDFA in Lazard who is making plays as well.  

At some point, and hopefully soon, Moore needs to take that potential and produce a no-doubter game where he shuts everyone up.  

I'm not defending Moore getting passed up, didn't see MVS doing it, ESB makes some sense. Totally agree on the last line, also assume when you said FBS you meant FCS and the NDSU kid?

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did anybody else think Moore maybe woke the hell up in that game? Seemed very upset with his performance and brought it in practice the rest of the week? Lord knows that dude with his hair on fire is a helluva player. 

I hope so but it’s only 1 practice right?  Let’s see if he continues that trend. 

Hopefully his technique improves as well. Holy crap how can not be better than that after all these years at WR?