2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

@CWood21, just warn me before I do it this time.

Bringing up Jarret effing Boykin’s second year when it was the effing year Rodgers was out for 8 games in a conversation about MVS.

Just give me the warning now.  Stupid argument is stupid.  Terrible, my God.

Just log off on and go for a walk.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Must be doing pretty well since he’s playing a lot with the first team, compared to those others.

Rob Demovsky:  Equanimeous St. Brown (knee) has been cleared to practice. He missed the last two days but is good to go after an MRI ruled out structural damage. Brown has been running as the Packers' No. 4 receiver behind Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rob Demovsky:  Equanimeous St. Brown (knee) has been cleared to practice. He missed the last two days but is good to go after an MRI ruled out structural damage. Brown has been running as the Packers' No. 4 receiver behind Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison.

Mind sharing a link to whatever that is? I’m having a hard time finding it. Like I said earlier in this thread: I’m not rooting for anything here and I’m open to all information because this is fun. That would be literally the first thing I’ve seen saying who is a definitive #4 receiver though.

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Mind sharing a link to whatever that is? I’m having a hard time finding it. Like I said earlier in this thread: I’m not rooting for anything here and I’m open to all information because this is fun. That would be literally the first thing I’ve seen saying who is a definitive #4 receiver though.

Was posted by @Leader several pages back

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

It was a Tweet.

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Not sure that's accurate or if it is, it's very recent. I was at camp the entire 2nd week and ESB wasnt running ahead of Kumerow. That's just based on pure personal observation. 

Sounds like Brown is taking a huge step forward if he's solidified himself at WR4. I really hope that we air it out in one of these last three preseason games as well as run the ball a bunch in another game. I'm looking over the box score from the Houston game and 13 players got targeted with only 5 of them receiving multiple targets; one of those 5 players was Danny Vitale. I'm not a coach, but I don't think 2 or 3 targets can really produce an accurate evaluation of a player unless they horribly whiff on three targets like Moore did last year.

What do we think of Lazard? Thought his TD catch against Lonnie Johnson was pretty studly.

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure that's accurate or if it is, it's very recent. I was at camp the entire 2nd week and ESB wasnt running ahead of Kumerow. That's just based on pure personal observation. 

Actually....I didnt copy/paste the comment directly from Twitter. It was on Rotoworld which relayed the Demovsky Tweet:

Equanimeous St. Brown (knee) has been cleared to practice. He missed the last two days but is good to go after an MRI ruled out structural damage. Brown has been running as the Packers' No. 4 receiver behind Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison. Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter Aug 13, 2019, 11:48 AM ET

@deathstar

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Actually....I didnt copy/paste the comment directly from Twitter. It was on Rotoworld which relayed the Demovsky Tweet:

Equanimeous St. Brown (knee) has been cleared to practice. He missed the last two days but is good to go after an MRI ruled out structural damage. Brown has been running as the Packers' No. 4 receiver behind Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison. Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter Aug 13, 2019, 11:48 AM ET

@deathstar

This, I think, further adds to the narrative of how hard it is to find good, accurate information. This information is coming from this tweet:

Rotoworld added in the bit about him being the #4. And the MRI I guess. @incognito_man

Edited by deathstar

13 hours ago, SSG said:

I never said Rodgers played good but to ignore how awful the rookies looked against Arizona is crazy.  There is a reason that MVS seen his snap count cut in half and his starting spot stripped from him until injuries forced them to put him back into the starting lineup. 

If you're incapable of realizing how bad Aaron Rodgers was, especially against the Cardinals you're incapable or unwilling to be critical of Aaron Rodgers.  That alone tells me that you aren't looking at this objectively.  You point to the drop in snap count, and what was the common denominator in those two games (against the Falcons and Bears)?  Davante Adams AND Randall Cobb played in both of those games.  Outside of those two games, from Week 4 on MVS played in over 70% of the snaps in all but 3 games (including against the Bears and Falcons).  The 3rd game was against the Rams, and MVS, Geronimo Allison, and Randall Cobb all played roughly 60% of the snaps.  MVS actually came in 2nd in terms of snaps amongst WRs in that game behind Davante Adams.  Last year, MVS finished 6th among rookie WRs in receptions and receiving yards.

13 hours ago, SSG said:

That's not what I mentioned at all.  I said low end ROOKIEs which is entirely different than talking about all pro caliber players who were drafted lower.  I'd be interested if anyone can find me an elite offense in any year that got 20 starts from low end ROOKIE draft picks.  I  went back and looked at seasons with some high profile rookie seasons and none of those teams got 20 starts out of rookies muchless bottom of the draft rookies.  Gotta wonder if Rodgers job was so easy and WR talent had nothing to do with his season then why isn't there a long list of QBs who have high end seasons with multiple low end rookie WRs starting.  

I'm not really sure why you mentioned it.  If Rodgers needs a bunch of All Pro WRs to be successful, maybe he's not as good as we're making him out to be.  You're so caught up in the draft status, and using that as a crux in a ridiculous bad argument.  If MVS was a 2nd round pick, you would have been THRILLED with his production.  Most teams don't revamp their WR corps quite like the Packers did, especially with a proven QB like Aaron Rodgers.  That's why you're not going to find much of a track record.

13 hours ago, SSG said:

You lost me when you referred to Jared Goff as an exceptional QB?  Before Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp and Brandin Cooks came to town he was a 55% passer who had more INTs than TDs.  There were serious concerns that he was going to be one of the biggest busts in NFL history.  The best offensive mind in the NFL came to town and the first thing he did was throw a MASSIVE amount of draft assets and money at the WR position to overhaul it. He overpaid Woods, traded a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and starting DB for Sammy Watkins and Brandin Cooks.  He also spent a 3rd and early 4th round pick on WRs in that whirl wind.  I'd argue that there isn't a position group that McVay invested more into than WR. 

Yes.  Back-to-back top 10 in ANYA.  You want to give all the credit to the WR in this.  Jared Goff played with Jeff Fisher, a notorious QB killer.  Anyone who thought he was a major bust refused to realize that you don't have Jeff Fisher as your HC and expect your QB (especially a young QB) succeed.  Nobody viewed Sean McVay as the best offensive mind when he was hired by the Rams.  In fact, most viewed the hire as a reach.  The reality is that the QB is the one throws the ball to the WR.  You're not going to just insert a QB and see that same kind of success.

13 hours ago, SSG said:

My argument about our WR core isn't about where the WR was drafted.  I don't think it's an overly talented group past Adams and it's an opinion I've had since last year.  I'm never going to agree that Michael Thomas or Tyreek Hill are the same caliber of WR talents as MVS and EQ because they were drafted in the same range in the draft.

I could give two flying ****s about GIFS or the idea that a fan thinks he can see exactly what the QB is seeing based on a video clip.  I find the idea that Aaron Rodgers is intentionally trying to lose games to be unrealistic. That's essentially what you are accusing him of doing if you think he's picking a throwaway instead of a wide open WR running free.  If that's the case and we do indeed have a QB who's trying harder to lose games than win them then we've got bigger issues than WR.  

Except it clearly is, otherwise you wouldn't be parroting around the whole being drafted late.  The fact is that MVS was a top 6 rookie WR last year.  Fact.  Rodgers was in his arguably his worst season in a LONG time.  Fact.  But somehow the fact that he was that productive, he isn't good.  You're going to ignore the fact that Aaron Rodgers was on pace to blow by the record for most throwaways.  Again, if you need a slew of All Pro WRs, then maybe Rodgers isn't as good as we think he is.  Or maybe it was our franchise QB openly feuding with his HC.  One is more logical than the other.

Nobody said he was trying to lose.  What we saw was a QB who was openly challenging his HC.  He was calling audibles away from what the original play call was.  He was throwing away from WRs not named Davante Adams.  Davante Adams last year had 169 targets last year, and his career high prior to that was 121 in 2016.  That's 48 more targets than the previous season.  This is on top of the well noted fact that Rodgers isn't a fan of rookie WRs.  Since Rodgers was our starting QB, the rookie WR with the most targets was Jordy Nelson in 2008 with 54 targets (33 receptions, 366 receiving yards) until MVS had 73 targets (38 receptions, 581 receiving yards) this year.  There is video proof of Rodgers missing wide open WRs, and you're throwing it out the window.

• Like 1