7WR
Davante Adams
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Geronimo Allison
Jake Kumerow
Trevor Davis
Allen Lazard
Darrius Shepherd

Question for Leader: How did you get the spacing between the player names so close together?

I type in a sentence, press enter and type in the next sentence but it results in looking like this:

Davante Adams

Marquesz Valdes-Scantling

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

You're telling me our 5th WR is 27 with minimal upside who doesn't play any of the return spots. And isn't a stand out on teams? Oof that's so tough for me to buy in to. 

Is WR like the only spot we're going all in on the "win now" philosophy?

I could see using keeping: Adams/MVS/Allison/ESB/Kumerow/Davis and inviting both Shep and Moore to the PS. Likely one of them makes it to our PS.

Then, we start the season with Kumerow read and available as a role-confident reserve to let Shep continue to grow. At some point in the season, injuries, whatever, it might make sense to move on from Kumerow and know we have a smart/apparently assignment-sure guy like Shep on the PS in case we need him.

I can see a scenario where it's helpful to have Kumerow to start the season. And hey, if he plays well against starters in his opportunities - great! He keeps his spot.

I think the above is an ideal for me: do we think Shep would make someone else's 53?

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I could see using keeping: Adams/MVS/Allison/ESB/Kumerow/Davis and inviting both Shep and Moore to the PS. Likely one of them makes it to our PS.

Then, we start the season with Kumerow read and available as a role-confident reserve to let Shep continue to grow. At some point in the season, injuries, whatever, it might make sense to move on from Kumerow and know we have a smart/apparently assignment-sure guy like Shep on the PS in case we need him.

I can see a scenario where it's helpful to have Kumerow to start the season. And hey, if he plays well against starters in his opportunities - great! He keeps his spot.

I think the above is an ideal for me: do we think Shep would make someone else's 53?

I think that is the big question, and it isn't just Shepherd. Any one of Shepherd, Lazard or Moore could get picked up by another team if the Packers try to keep them on the PS.

(WARNING: Leader close your eyes now) It could even apply to ESB if he ends up on the PS. I would be surprised but not shocked, if he fails to make the 53. Lazard and Shepherd have been making their case to be the last WR kept at cutdown.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Question for Leader: How did you get the spacing between the player names so close together?

I type in a sentence, press enter and type in the next sentence but it results in looking like this:

Davante Adams

Marquesz Valdes-Scantling

Answer from Leader:
Read 1265's response who's been designated authority to respond for me when I'm tied up with other matters :)

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

You're telling me our 5th WR is 27 with minimal upside who doesn't play any of the return spots. And isn't a stand out on teams? Oof that's so tough for me to buy in to. 

Is WR like the only spot we're going all in on the "win now" philosophy?

If that happens, I don't think that's treating the  position any differant than we treated it last year.  Last year we kept 7 and moved Davis to the IR immediately . ESB was our #5 WR going into the year and he played 15 ST snaps all year.  Moore was the guy at the bottom of the WR depth chart and he wasn't anything special on ST (he didn't start getting routine time on ST until week 8).

Davis is the only WR on the roster who's noticeably better on ST and he's behind the power curve because of an inability to stay on the field.  You might be able to argue Shephard as well because of his kick return ability but it's a really small sample size.  

IMO if we were in "win now" we'd have thrown a bunch of money or high draft picks at the position like we did Safety and Edge.  

11 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

(WARNING: Leader close your eyes now) It could even apply to ESB if he ends up on the PS. I would be surprised but not shocked, if he fails to make the 53. Lazard and Shepherd have been making their case to be the last WR kept at cutdown.

Its saddens me somewhat to see individuals in whom I'd entrusted confidence in their thinking.....struggle with such easy matters.

Recommendation? Turn off the churning GM instincts infecting social media and rely instead in the safe, sure knowledge that EQs got what it takes and no "new guy on the block" has proven him deficient in any way. Your confidence will be rewarded, the "angst factor" will be cut way down and live a longer, happier life :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

Its saddens me somewhat to see individuals in whom I'd entrusted confidence in their thinking.....struggle with such easy matters.

Recommendation? Turn off the churning GM instincts infecting social media and rely instead in the safe, sure knowledge that EQs got what it takes and no "new guy on the block" has proven him deficient in any way. Your confidence will be rewarded, the "angst factor" will be cut way down and live a longer, happier life :)

I think sometimes we have to "pretend" preseason is worth more than it is. We follow it all closely so you don't want to think it truly doesn't matter. I can't see Shep or Lazard on this team week one. But I'm happy with them as backup options on the PS if that happens

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Kumerow is ahead of Davis and Moore. Moore should be right down there with Lazard and Shep. Davis only a smidge higher, like 50/30.

Kumerow is an 85/75 to me. Don't really see a scenario where he's cut.

No... For some reason you're discounting talent. Davis and Moore are much more talented than the players you mentioned. The roster spots are theirs' to lose.

Laszard and Shephard are dime a dozen UDFAs. Every team has some of those every camp that do well. This year, the Bengals have a couple they're talking about being the future of their team. Kumerow, bless his heart. He's a professional training camp WR. To confuse him as more than that, at the expense of younger more talented players, is foolish.

Like I originally mentioned, this will be decided by Davis and Moore. If Davis stays healthy, he'll make the team. If not, hello Mr. Shepherd. If Moore is on his game and catching everything the next week and half, he makes the team. If not, then all different possibilities arise. 

11 minutes ago, Donzo said:

No... For some reason you're discounting talent. Davis and Moore are much more talented than the players you mentioned. The roster spots are theirs' to lose.

Laszard and Shephard are dime a dozen UDFAs. Every team has some of those every camp that do well. This year, the Bengals have a couple they're talking about being the future of their team. Kumerow, bless his heart. He's a professional training camp WR. To confuse him as more than that, at the expense of younger more talented players, is foolish.

Like I originally mentioned, this will be decided by Davis and Moore. If Davis stays healthy, he'll make the team. If not, hello Mr. Shepherd. If Moore is on his game and catching everything the next week and half, he makes the team. If not, then all different possibilities arise. 

Jason Spriggs was supremely talented. You're discounting availability. Davis is rarely available. He was never replaceable, but I think Shepherd can replace him. 

Moore is talented but doesn't play that way. I'm sure they'll sneak him on the PS if they can. "His spot is his to lose" well I think he's lost it. Adams at least had the Pats game and the Cowboys game in that first year to show you he was a baller if he could get it together. JMon can't even get it together in a preseason game.

Shep led all of college football in average yards of separation per route last season. He's trending more towards diamond in the rough than basic UDFA.

Lazard is a big, above average athlete. Nothing screams stud about his game, but he's been the best true WR of the 3rd team, and he's beat out many of the DBs for roles on ST, his spot could come there.

Kumerow is what he is, I don't think he'll be great, but he's one of the best 53 on the team no doubt and he's made the team.

• Like 2