2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I totally agree with your opinion.  Davis, when healthy, was a very reliable returner and I would breathe a sign of relief when I saw him in the game.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if 1265 goes with the younger model in this particular position.  Not saying I want that to happen - I'm mixed - but we've seen it happen before in various other positions.  Still some time left in the pre-season for the needle to move in one direction or the other.  Should be interesting.

Agree. Davis has left the door open to be replaced. A). his difficulties staying healthy. B). his slow progression as a WR.
It will really get interesting if he balls out these next two games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

WHEN WILL TRAMON CATCH A PUNT

I think he caught some last year....I dont know. Cant recall. It was an ugly affair and represented the team/organization badly IMO. They really let it go down the drain.....but then again, last year was what it was......a lost season. Nothing seemed to go right - or if it did - it didnt stay right. 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree. Davis has left the door open to be replaced. A). his difficulties staying healthy. B). his slow progression as a WR.
It will really get interesting if he balls out these next two games.

I'm really hoping it does, Leader!  This is the stuff that makes watching pre-season really compelling! :)

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm really hoping it does, Leader!  This is the stuff that makes watching pre-season really compelling! :)

Well......I'm not sure I'd pair up compelling and pre-season....but so be it. I wish him well.
Cant say if he'd land with another team if cut - but I do think (when healthy) he elevates a ST unit.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Lets not go overboard trying to re-characterize the past with hypotheticals. Davis was producing on STs. Its statistical fact. He was a weapon.

It's also fact GB had nobody on the roster to replace that production. Our return game turned into an unproductive clown show. It was embarrassingly bad.

Which games was Davis active? Did it lead to more points or wins? 

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Which games was Davis active? Did it lead to more points or wins? 

He played in one or two games last year after coming off IR. Dont know which they were and dont think he changed the outcome in either or any of them.....but those are entirely moot points as far as I'm concerned. He made what equated to a cameo appearance in the ****show that was 2018. I'm not gonna fault him that he didnt turn the direction around in the short period he got on the field. It was a year of destiny and we were destined to suck for any number of reasons.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

No. Obviously not but when healthy he produced for us.

To me, availability to play is a huge determining factor for a player,  especially a fringe player.    Davis at wr/st doesn't do squat for the Packers if he's hurt non stop.  Yes, I agree his potential may be higher but if he can't be on the field he is basically worthless and taking up a roster spot.  These next 2 games should tell the tale.  If Davis is heads and tails better than Shep, than go with him.  If they are basically equal, Davis should be gone and save some $$ and contract years. 

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

He played in one or two games last year after coming off IR. Dont know which they were and dont think he changed the outcome in either or any of them.....but those are entirely moot points as far as I'm concerned. He made what equated to a cameo appearance in the ****show that was 2018. I'm not gonna fault him that he didnt turn the direction around in the short period he got on the field. It was a year of destiny and we were destined to suck for any number of reasons.

He definitely was a better return man.  I just didn't remember which games he played in.  

4 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

To me, availability to play is a huge determining factor for a player,  especially a fringe player.    Davis at wr/st doesn't do squat for the Packers if he's hurt non stop.  Yes, I agree his potential may be higher but if he can't be on the field he is basically worthless and taking up a roster spot.  These next 2 games should tell the tale.  If Davis is heads and tails better than Shep, than go with him.  If they are basically equal, Davis should be gone and save some $$ and contract years. 

I said this earlier: Davis has left the door open to be replaced. A). his difficulties staying healthy. B). his slow progression as a WR.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leader said:

I disagree with the opinion that Davis was expendable. As last year more than evidenced, his contributions to ST was sorely missed. Nobody - but nobody - stepped up. He came back for a game or two and suddenly returns were a reality again. He got hurt and they disappeared again. Perhaps I value the positive yards he was securing more than others.

This is the reason I'd like to see Shepherd on the final 53. Half of any team is backups and niche players. Why not have a solid bottom-of-the-roster backup to Davis's ST duties (at least as a punt returner). Shepherd is also a viable backup to Allison in the slot, which is more value than you get from most guys who are 6th/7th receivers.

In short, despite being a 6th/7th WR he has good value to the team, more than most guys that far down the depth chart.. the real problem is that if both Davis and Shepherd make the team (and you put Adams/MVS/Allison as locks), you lose one of Kumerow or ESB with 6 receivers kept. The only way this really works is with 7 receivers and both Kumerow and ESB can be kept.

You could keep Shepherd instead of Davis, but then Shepherd loses a part of his value (ie having a backup at PR).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1