2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

14 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is the reason I'd like to see Shepherd on the final 53. Half of any team is backups and niche players. Why not have a solid bottom-of-the-roster backup to Davis's ST duties (at least as a punt returner). Shepherd is also a viable backup to Allison in the slot, which is more value than you get from most guys who are 6th/7th receivers. In short, despite being a 6th/7th WR he has good value to the team, more than most guys that far down the depth chart.. the real problem is that if both Davis and Shepherd make the team (and you put Adams/MVS/Allison as locks), you lose one of Kumerow or ESB with 6 receivers kept. The only way this really works is with 7 receivers and both Kumerow and ESB can be kept. You could keep Shepherd instead of Davis, but then Shepherd loses a part of his value (ie having a backup at PR).

I'm not tied to any player. If Davis is let go its the consequence of his actions/inactions. I've simply been putting forward the argument (wrong word there, but you get the idea....) that when healthy he's been productive. For no known reason, he's been targeted as worthless. As someone who had NUMEROUS flaws and did nothing right. I disagree with the notion.

Also - you need to seek out and destroy any/all brain cells that somehow have been corrupted with the notion that EQ might get cut. It ain't happening! A brain defrag is in order after which a reboot will be necessary :)

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Which games was Davis active? Did it lead to more points or wins? 

Minnesota and Seattle.  His return lead to neither.  He returned 4 punts anywhere from 7 yards to 15 yards.  The slight uptick in field position didn't lead to one single point last year.  

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

Minnesota and Seattle.  His return lead to neither.  He returned 4 punts anywhere from 7 yards to 15 yards.  The slight uptick in field position didn't lead to one single point last year.  

Are you saying that my openmindedness which allowed me to believe that maybe Davis is worth keeping was wrong all along?

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is the reason I'd like to see Shepherd on the final 53. Half of any team is backups and niche players. Why not have a solid bottom-of-the-roster backup to Davis's ST duties (at least as a punt returner). Shepherd is also a viable backup to Allison in the slot, which is more value than you get from most guys who are 6th/7th receivers.

In short, despite being a 6th/7th WR he has good value to the team, more than most guys that far down the depth chart.. the real problem is that if both Davis and Shepherd make the team (and you put Adams/MVS/Allison as locks), you lose one of Kumerow or ESB with 6 receivers kept. The only way this really works is with 7 receivers and both Kumerow and ESB can be kept.

You could keep Shepherd instead of Davis, but then Shepherd loses a part of his value (ie having a backup at PR).

I have to imagine that outside of injury, there isn't anyway both Davis and Shepherd make the roster.  

IMO we're keeping 6 and that last spot is going to come down to Davis or Shepherd.  If that's the case I'm routing for Shepherd given the higher upside at WR.  

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Are you saying that my openmindedness which allowed me to believe that maybe Davis is worth keeping was wrong all along?

Not saying that all.  Just pointing out that he had absolutely no effect on the team last year in the 2 games he played in.  Davis is a good return man when he's on the field.  

17 minutes ago, SSG said:

Not saying that all.  Just pointing out that he had absolutely no effect on the team last year in the 2 games he played in.  Davis is a good return man when he's on the field.  

I do think that if he played vs the Rams, the Packers would have had a 50/50 chance to steal that one rather than Montgomery running the ball out of the end zone and fumbling the game away.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Thats right. He had absolutely no effect on the team the four times he touched the ball last year.

1 hour ago, RedRaider said:

I do think that if he played vs the Rams, the Packers would have had a 50/50 chance to steal that one rather than Montgomery running the ball out of the end zone and fumbling the game away.

This is a better by default situation. The plays went bad, you can reasonably argue (enter player name) could of generated better results

18 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

We'd have had a 50/50 shot with anyone staying in the endzone rather than coming out.  Stasitically speaking, Davis actually wasn't any better of a kick returner than Monty had been over his career.