2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

Guys should be open. Fans want to throw a trade at the problem without knowing the cause. Adams is the best in the business and MVS runs a 4.3 but no one is open ? We haven't had a TE in a decade so I don't want to hear it. I keep waiting for someone like Fennell to post something via All-22 on this issue. Something isn't right. Until I hear differently, I think it's system related. It's the only moving part that has changed

No disagreement there.  Guys should be open but they aren't.  So what if MVS runs a 4.3; speed alone doesn't make a receiver.  Adams is getting double covered  but I do think he should be targeted more.  MVS has potential but he has to hold onto the ball and run good routes.  Allison has been a ghost.  Having a reliable TE would be a definite benefit.  Could very well be a new system problem that receivers are having trouble adapting to.    That being said, somebody has to step up consistently in the passing offense.

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

No disagreement there.  Guys should be open but they aren't.  So what if MVS runs a 4.3; speed alone doesn't make a receiver.  Adams is getting double covered  but I do think he should be targeted more.  MVS has potential but he has to hold onto the ball and run good routes.  Allison has been a ghost.  Having a reliable TE would be a definite benefit.  Could very well be a new system problem that receivers are having trouble adapting to.    That being said, somebody has to step up consistently in the passing offense.

Scheme your playmakers to find time and space.  It’s literally as easy...and difficult....as that.

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Scheme your playmakers to find time and space.  It’s literally as easy...and difficult....as that.

Scheming your play makers to find time and space would be an excellent idea if it wasn't so easy and difficult to do.   First off, do the Packers have the wr's that are smart enough and experienced enough to implement time and space?  Have they had enough practice time to "try" time and space?  Have the teams they've played to a 3-0 record have defenses that are vulnerable to time and space?  As you said .... easy and difficult.  Better get your buddies to help the Pack figure it out.   

16 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

He's basically going through the same thing Cooper did in Oakland.  His numbers are representation of his QB, not him.  Trust me, he's a star with even a capable QB and would eventually take over as #1 here.

Then he won't do **** in GB unless he's played with Rodgers for at least 4 years.

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Scheming your play makers to find time and space would be an excellent idea if it wasn't so easy and difficult to do.   First off, do the Packers have the wr's that are smart enough and experienced enough to implement time and space?  Have they had enough practice time to "try" time and space?  Have the teams they've played to a 3-0 record have defenses that are vulnerable to time and space?  As you said .... easy and difficult.  Better get your buddies to help the Pack figure it out.   

We've already gone over this, but it's worth going over again.  

Rules for Time and Space:  you need talent and a dynamic, never stale, always changing and unpredictable scheme.

Every weekend several players break out for huge games, some are relative unknowns.  Look at Taylor Gabriel.  Going into last night, he had 3 catches for 35 yards and 0 TD's.  Last night he has 6 catches, 75 yards, and 3 TD's.  Next weekend, he'll probably slip back into the unknown because defenses will be keying on him.  Perfect - a chance to scheme someone else with time and space.  Mike Evans, Tampa Bay, 8 receptions for 190 yards receiving, 3 TD's this week.  Previous two weeks, 6 receptions for 90 yards, 0 TD's.  He'll slip back into unimpressive numbers in week #4 because defenses will scheme to stop him.  Great, scheme a new guy on offense and catch em by surprise.

Some talented guys create time and space for themselves without fancy schemes.  Dalvin Cook has been running wild the first three games.  Cooper Kupp was literally running wide open all over the field this weekend with crafty route running, racking up TD's and yards all game long.  

Space and Time isn't some kind of myth - it literally happens every weekend in the NFL.  Even JAGs get in on the action, if the scheme is right.  I'm not even going to spend a lot of time talking about Brady and BB because they do it with regularity and with the same personnel and scheme, yet, the league still can't figure them out.  Again proving that space and time are keys to winning.

I watch a ton of hockey.  The best teams scheme their playmakers to get space and time.  There isn't a more relative example of the importance of space and time in sports than hockey.  That sheet of ice is small - very little room to create space and time.  It's nothing but mugging and smothering out there.  But man, when you see a skilled playmaker break free from the clutching and grabbing, it's something special to watch.

I get your point about needing practice and time to gain chemistry, and the right playmakers to make it happen.  I agree to a point.  But on any given Sunday across the league, JAGs and stars are finding space and time and putting up huge numbers.  Every weekend.  We haven't done that enough in the past several years and it shows.   

Could you imagine this offense if we landed Allen Robinson? He and Adam's would've been unstoppable.  Robinson would've been the best #2 receiver in the league. Cutting Jordy for Robinson makes more sense now than wasting money on a washed up TE that can't block or get open and TE the QB refuses to throw to. Robinson and Adams would've been the best receiving duo in the league. Boy Gute missed out on that one.

Nelson Agholor will be an UFA in 2020 and will only be 27. I hope he's on Gutes radar, he would add much needed speed and quickness to this receiving core.

Forgive me for my naivety, but wouldn't even the best scheme you could come up with have to change almost every week and expect the same impact? And even then,  If you're WR and TE corps are slow, can't catch, or aren't quick enough to create space (one or all attributable to the bottom 7/8ths of our WR and TE roster) then what? 

I'm asking a legit question. Strategy basics and probability dictate the best strategy will only take you so far if the opposition has the ability to execute better than you.

It seems to me like we're saying that if LeFleur was the best play caller the NFL has ever seen, we should be getting better performance out of our offense. 

4 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Could you imagine this offense if we landed Allen Robinson? He and Adam's would've been unstoppable.  Robinson would've been the best #2 receiver in the league. Cutting Jordy for Robinson makes more sense now than wasting money on a washed up TE that can't block or get open and TE the QB refuses to throw to. Robinson and Adams would've been the best receiving duo in the league. Boy Gute missed out on that one.

Nelson Agholor will be an UFA in 2020 and will only be 27. I hope he's on Gutes radar, he would add much needed speed and quickness to this receiving core.

Except Agholor can't catch a cold.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Forgive me for my naivety, but wouldn't even the best scheme you could come up with have to change almost every week and expect the same impact? And even then,  If you're WR and TE corps are slow, can't catch, or aren't quick enough to create space (one or all attributable to the bottom 7/8ths of our WR and TE roster) then what? 

I'm asking a legit question. Strategy basics and probability dictate the best strategy will only take you so far if the opposition has the ability to execute better than you.

It seems to me like we're saying that if LeFleur was the best play caller the NFL has ever seen, we should be getting better performance out of our offense. 

Great, even good coaches create dynamic (ever changing) schemes to keep defenses off balance, so yes, if you're not changing it up with regularity, it's not easy to create space and time, unless you have freak athletes that can do it just on sheer athleticism.