Thoughts and Observations: Preseason 1

WindyCity

I think Sowell still has inside track and Bunting is looking like PS.

Sowell is a personal project for Pace and Nagy and as long as Shaheen and Burton are available then they want to keep working on it. 

Shaheen or Burton get hurt again and all bets are off.  Could be a trade even. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Who are you releasing?

Burton

Shaheen

Braunecker

Are locks.

I would hate to lose Bunting who has flashed in camp and game 1, for a blocking only TE who offers nothing in the passing game.

To me this is where going with 3 RB (plus Patterson) giving us more flexibility may allow us to keep a guy on the 53 where we might otherwise not. 

That said, Whyte looked pretty good on Thursday against the future insurance salesmen. 

Lots of tough decisions at the bottom of our roster over the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

To me this is where going with 3 RB (plus Patterson) giving us more flexibility may allow us to keep a guy on the 53 where we might otherwise not. 

That said, Whyte looked pretty good on Thursday against the future insurance salesmen. 

Lots of tough decisions at the bottom of our roster over the next few weeks. 

I used to think we can’t put this guy on PS some one will grab him!  It almost never happens unless guy has elite traits or fills a dire need for someone. 

PS guys can be activated as necessary.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I used to think we can’t put this guy on PS some one will grab him!  It almost never happens unless guy has elite traits or fills a dire need for someone. 

In the case of Whyte he has skills that not every team has at the position. He’s got elite speed, has KR experience, is a RB who seemingly can catch but also has enough size that he doesn’t have to be JUST a scat back. I’m more reluctant to put that on the PS especially if he continues to show well. Someone would find a place on their 53 for that even if he’s a weekly inactive. With Bunting I think it’s the other way. I think there are a lot of guys who profile as receiving only TE who can’t block at all. Many are guys who were big college WR who aren’t fast enough to transition there to the NFL (like Trey Burton was) but who might in time be able to be a factor at TE but aren’t ready yet. I think it’s far less likely that Bunting would get poached off of our PS than Whyte, and really, even if he did get poached there are Ian Buntings elsewhere. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

My thoughts from watching the game:

Both Davis and Montgomery look like they can run the ball.  That cut by Monty on the TD run was a thing of beauty and he looks good as a receiver and running with the ball in the open field.

Whyte also flashed a bit as well.  This is the best depth we've had at RB in years.

TE Bunting impressed but I want to see how he continues to play the rest of preseason before jumping the gun and saying he deserves to make the team.

QB play was crap.  Never been a huge fan of Chase...he holds onto the ball way too long which leads to a lot of sacks and negative plays.... and Bray is straight practice squad material with an unimpressive deep ball.  Bears need to invest in another young arm in next year's draft to develop behind Mitch.

Defense was pretty good for the most part.  That Woods kid looks like he could be a nice find and Pierre-Louis flashed with his quickness.  Bush also played well and looks poised for a good season if he needs to be inserted into the starting lineup at any point over HaHa.

Special teams....well outside of O'Donnell there wasn't too much to be pleased with here.  I think the best kicker of the night was the backup Joey Slye for Carolina.  Bears should maybe look into trading a late round pick for him after losing out on Vedvik from Baltimore because I've concluded that Pineiro is garbage outside of his ability to kick the ball far outside the end zone.  The Raiders traded him for a conditional 7th round pick.  Shows you what they thought of him.... anyway I would not trust him any more than I did Parkey to make big kicks for this team. 

Fry looks more consistent but I didn't see the leg strength you want in a kicker who will be kicking the majority of the time in inconsistent weather scenarios with Chicago weather patterns.  This might be another problem area this season if Pace doesn't solve this issue quick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

In the case of Whyte he has skills that not every team has at the position. He’s got elite speed, has KR experience, is a RB who seemingly can catch but also has enough size that he doesn’t have to be JUST a scat back. I’m more reluctant to put that on the PS especially if he continues to show well. Someone would find a place on their 53 for that even if he’s a weekly inactive. With Bunting I think it’s the other way. I think there are a lot of guys who profile as receiving only TE who can’t block at all. Many are guys who were big college WR who aren’t fast enough to transition there to the NFL (like Trey Burton was) but who might in time be able to be a factor at TE but aren’t ready yet. I think it’s far less likely that Bunting would get poached off of our PS than Whyte, and really, even if he did get poached there are Ian Buntings elsewhere. 

Yes that is Whyte will likely make team and E. Hall will probably be put on IR or something.  They are elite athletes with potential so you want to marinate them a bit.  

I was thinking of Bunting.  

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

QB play was crap.  Never been a huge fan of Chase...he holds onto the ball way too long which leads to a lot of sacks and negative plays.... and Bray is straight practice squad material with an unimpressive deep ball.  Bears need to invest in another young arm in next year's draft to develop behind Mitch.

Defense was pretty good for the most part.  That Woods kid looks like he could be a nice find and Pierre-Louis flashed with his quickness.  Bush also played well and looks poised for a good season if he needs to be inserted into the starting lineup at any point over HaHa.

Chase did okay with some bad moments.  Bray looked really bad.  He throws some really good deep balls in practice and has a cannon.  I can't really say anything else good about him.  I think it is fair to say if MT gets put out for season we can call it a year.  I think that is case for almost every team though.   

Special teams....well outside of O'Donnell there wasn't too much to be pleased with here.  I think the best kicker of the night was the backup Joey Slye for Carolina.  Bears should maybe look into trading a late round pick for him after losing out on Vedvik from Baltimore because I've concluded that Pineiro is garbage outside of his ability to kick the ball far outside the end zone.  The Raiders traded him for a conditional 7th round pick.  Shows you what they thought of him.... anyway I would not trust him any more than I did Parkey to make big kicks for this team. 

Fry looks more consistent but I didn't see the leg strength you want in a kicker who will be kicking the majority of the time in inconsistent weather scenarios with Chicago weather patterns.  This might be another problem area this season if Pace doesn't solve this issue quick.

I think someone made point if we could combine Fry's consistent stroke with Pinerio's leg strength we would really have something.  

If it's me I let Pinerio develop and live with a miss here and there since he has the high ceiling.  I don't think people have my patience though.  Because of media and social media it is full panic mode re the kicker.  There is a mob effect mindset I think.   Like when media hypes a virus and then everybody has it.

My mindset on players is usually give me the talent if the talent is willing to work hard to improve and the player is intelligent and driven.  I don't have any idea if Pinerio is intelligent and driven, if I was his coach I would, but if he is that is who I would keep.  If he isn't I dump him.  

When you hit driver sometimes you miss more than if you hit 5 iron.  But if you can get your driver in fairway then you have a huge advantage over other golfers.

• Like 2

Both Davis and Montgomery look like they can run the ball.  That cut by Monty on the TD run was a thing of beauty and he looks good as a receiver and running with the ball in the open field.

Whyte also flashed a bit as well.  This is the best depth we've had at RB in years.

TE Bunting impressed but I want to see how he continues to play the rest of preseason before jumping the gun and saying he deserves to make the team.

Agree with Bunting. He needs a redshirt year before seeing the field IMO. Now if he is outplaying Braunecker in practice consistently then you might make the case but IDK if he is or isn't.

Agree 100% on QB play. Chase gets more credit, I stand by the fact he is massively overpaid, and over half his gamefilm in a 10 year career came from 2 games last year.. He is a $2mil back up at best, but is getting a salary boost for some level of consistency and mentoring. If it helps Tru then it can be worth it, but if he has to play I'm hoping the talent around him can make up for the lack of his own talent. I'm still hoping we get someone like Lauletta in here from NYG, he had a good game though so his market may start creeping up rather than him being released. Same for Tanney from NYG too.

The Haha/Bush thing will be interesting. Pagano played more dime than almost any other DC in his time, so I am wondering if Bush finds himself on the field with a little regularity even if he is the main safety reserve.

Raiders also were willing to make the deal to let the Bears have Mack, and invested $100 million in Gruden,  and invested $50 mil in Brown, etc. Their appraisal of someone's worth isn't something worthwhile to add to the equation.  I think people were spoiled from having Gould, so anything that isn't immediately as good as him is going to be considered a failure. Hell people on here were crying constantly about his "inability to win offside kicks" while he was here. Even he lost us a few games too. Just as how Tru is expected to grow, I think Pineiro will too. His upside is crazy, and he has already shown he can make important kicks in college. That is about all you can ask for a young kicker, now he has to carry it over to the pros. I'm happy to let Pace make his decision either way though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If it's me I let Pinerio develop and live with a miss here and there since he has the high ceiling.  I don't think people have my patience though.  Because of media and social media it is full panic mode re the kicker.  There is a mob effect mindset I think.   Like when media hypes a virus and then everybody has it.

My mindset on players is usually give me the talent if the talent is willing to work hard to improve and the player is intelligent and driven.  I don't have any idea if Pinerio is intelligent and driven, if I was his coach I would, but if he is that is who I would keep.  If he isn't I dump him.  

I’d be fine with either tbh. Give me the guy who’s been ultra accurate as a pro in games and let him work on his leg strength over time, or give me the boomer who can can continue to refine his technique to become more accurate (though he’s not super inaccurate now). Just pick one and give them a real chance. If people stop panicking about it and just let it play out odds are whichever we pick is going to do an adequate job. Then again I am of the opinion that an average ranking kicker for 2019 if we go with a younger kicker is an acceptable outcome and I understand that others want and maybe even expect whoever our kicker is to be a stud. The far greatest likelihood is that this team either is or is not going to win the Super Bowl in 2019 principally because of the play of Mitch Trubisky and not that of our kicker. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d be fine with either tbh. Give me the guy who’s been ultra accurate as a pro in games and let him work on his leg strength over time, or give me the boomer who can can continue to refine his technique to become more accurate (though he’s not super inaccurate now). Just pick one and give them a real chance. If people stop panicking about it and just let it play out odds are whichever we pick is going to do an adequate job. Then again I am of the opinion that an average ranking kicker for 2019 if we go with a younger kicker is an acceptable outcome and I understand that others want and maybe even expect whoever our kicker is to be a stud. The far greatest likelihood is that this team either is or is not going to win the Super Bowl in 2019 principally because of the play of Mitch Trubisky and not that of our kicker. 

I think gaining leg strength is something like getting faster or throwing harder (as an adult).  

I think it is far easier to get more accurate or improve your stroke than to kick farther.   Why I would rather take the talent.  You want to draft the 21 year old dude who throws 88 and has perfect command or the pitcher who is a bit wild and throwing 102?  I'll take the flamethrower and work with him on location. 

I liked when one got his own day and other got his own day.  I think Fry or Pineiro should have had the game and not mixed it up.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I'm pretty much settling in with this thinking as well.  There seems to be far less risk of losing players via waivers after final cut down now than there once was.

I wouldn't necessarily risk those who starred in preseason who play high demand positions but I don't see a kid like Bunting who was an UDFA with no real college pedigree as being a guy teams will be clamoring for.

We also have 3 weeks more of practices and preseason to get through where injuries could be a factor so I'm in no way prepared to call out a final 53 and a 10 man PS just yet.

47 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think gaining leg strength is something like getting faster or throwing harder (as an adult).  

I think it is far easier to get more accurate or improve your stroke than to kick farther.   Why I would rather take the talent.  You want to draft the 21 year old dude who throws 88 and has perfect command or the pitcher who is a bit wild and throwing 102?  I'll take the flamethrower and work with him on location. 

I liked when one got his own day and other got his own day.  I think Fry or Pineiro should have had the game and not mixed it up.  

Then you want.....Ricky Vaughn.  icon_rofl.gif

maxresdefault-2.jpg