Thoughts and Observations: Preseason 1

WindyCity

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Been a while that’s for sure. You already convinced Bunting is a real NFL player? 

I think there are enough flashes that he warrants being the 4th TE over a blocking only Sowell.

Bunting has size, catches the ball well, runs better than his 40 time. I think it is worth seeing what he can do.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I thought he was very talented from college film.   Still think that. 

Problem must be him.  You can't help teams from training room.  Apparently Bears agreed with Mizzu coaches on him attitude wise.  

At practice I was at this year Wims rolled his ankle bad.  He walked it off for like 20 minutes by himself in agony and went back in.   He knows situation.  Sometimes when you are on edge you have to play hurt to maintain your spot.  

I do think it is a little unfair since Hall had same surgery Burton had, but more recent.  It's a surgery with a lot of complications and varied recovery time.   

I think he must have pissed someone off by missing a rehab or being late to something.    

I think you may well have nailed it.

One issue he had at Mizzou was refusing to play unless he believed he was 100%.  Based on what I read from their comments that became and issue between him and his coaches.

I get that he may have been trying to protect his draft status but it backfired on him.  The Bears took a chance on him and gave him a sizable bonus and minimum salary guarantee but how much of him did we see during camp?

This is not a key starter you want to protect.  This is a guy trying to make the team.  If he was pulling the same stuff he did in college I can see why Nagy and Furrey finally lost patience and sent him packing early.  If the kid plays that fragile why even bother with putting him on the PS.  He won't be available there either or likely mature as an NFL player if placed on the IR.

Sounds like he was coming across as being a Kevin White v2.0 or worse and anyway Marvin Hall had him beat out nine ways to Sunday already.  You can't lose what you never had and it looks like Emmanuel Hall was all talk and no action.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m pretty sure placing him on waivers is necessary to get him to IR. We should get more when Nagy talks after practice today. 

That's possible but I can't think of any rule that requires it.

If they still believe he has an upside I suppose it makes sense to waive him when he is injured knowing it's doubtful anyone would claim him than place him on IR.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The problem is this city. We overrate late round picks, small white dudes and even UDFA's. There were rumors of attitude/love of the game issues for Hall in college. He also couldn't catch in college. Furthermore he was injured in college. And yet, Taylor Gabriel caught everything in 2018 and this stupid fan base thought it was a good idea to already plan his cutting in March 2020 for a 2019 UDFA who can run 3 routes + all of the problems I listed above.

I think many of us just see Gabriel as a potential 2020 cap casualty is all and we're looking for a cheaper deep threat.  It didn't have all that much to do with his ability.  Only his cost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I think many of us just see Gabriel as a potential 2020 cap casualty is all and we're looking for a cheaper deep threat.  It didn't have all that much to do with his ability.  Only his cost.

Maybe we should've been looking elsewhere all along then, because typically poor route runners with subpar hands that end up as UDFA's don't make it

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe we should've been looking elsewhere all along then, because typically poor route runners with subpar hands that end up as UDFA's don't make it

I think we already did.....Marvin Hall.

Emmanuel Hall may have been or still be a swing for the fences and we may not have heard the last from him yet.

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

What is your expectation for a WR7/ST player, because that’s all Hall would be and he has shown he is good at it. 

What? The topic at hand was finding a replacement for Gabriel after the season and soul mentioned Marvin Hall. As you said he's a #7 if not a career FA WR. That's what he's good at. In 24 career games, Hall has 12 catches on 28 targets in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

Agreed.

You agree that Marvin Hall would be a suitable replacement for one of the surest handed receivers in football?

Guys, this is the 2019 Bears. We don't shoot for bad players anymore. Discuss using one of the two 2's on a WR next April. Discuss finding another Gabriel (just slightly cheaper) in FA, just how Pace did. But Marvin Hall? *barf*

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

Not according to what's been written about him so far.  Seems he's had a good camp and he plays ST which E. Hall did not.

I don't think he makes the team unless there is a long term injury to another one of the wideouts who I project to make the team (AR, Miller, Gabriel, Patterson, Wims and Ridley).  

Hall offers no more than what Gabriel/Patterson do.

I also believe Bears will opt to carry 5 TE's (including Sowell) instead of 7 WR's

Edited by topwop1

20 minutes ago, soulman said:

Not according to what's been written about him so far.  Seems he's had a good camp and he plays ST which E. Hall did not.

I'm not comparing the two Hall's. I'm comparing them to Taylor Gabriel. Both Hall's stink. To expect them to replace a veteran, fast receiver with good hands is unreasonable but also the most Chicago thing out there

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

What? The topic at hand was finding a replacement for Gabriel after the season and soul mentioned Marvin Hall. As you said he's a #7 if not a career FA WR. That's what he's good at. In 24 career games, Hall has 12 catches on 28 targets in the NFL.

If Hall was used primarily as a deep threat in Atlanta wouldn't that explain his lower catch ratio?  What percentage of deep throws did Ryan hit on or any other QB for that matter.  Mitch struggled with his deep ball last year as well.

I can't tell you whether or not Hall will replace Gabriel but I can tell you that Gabriel's catch ratio was greater because he was used more often on shorter routes and screens. And.....we may not replace Gabriel at all.  Who knows?

Another possibility if we do is Miller.  He was actually targeted deep more often than anyone and may be this season as well.

I'm not looking to move on from Gabriel as much as I'm looking at his cap hit vs his production and the fact that he doesn't play ST and Marvin Hall does.  Hall is also what, $5 mil cheaper and at some point we'll have cap casualties.

If it came down to needing that $5 mil to say keep Kyle Long around another year would you object?  Are the catches Gabriel may or may not make more important than our running game or keeping Mitch upright and uninjured?

IMHO Marvin Hall is simply Ryan Pace thinking ahead a bit and also signing a WR whose a ST guy who can replace Bellamy.  That's it.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think he makes the team unless there is a long term injury to another one of the wideouts who I project to make the team (AR, Miller, Gabriel, Patterson, Wims and Ridley).  

Hall offers no more than what Gabriel/Patterson do.

I also believe Bears will opt to carry 5 TE's (including Sowell) instead of 7 WR's

Could go either way brother.  Remember, Marvin Hall plays ST and was signed as a replacement for Josh Bellamy as much as anything.  I don't see him taking Gabriel's job away in 2019 and maybe not in 2020 either.  We just don't know enough yet.

Bunting has not played ST and even if he can I doubt he'll replace Braunecker in that role whose more experienced and a key four unit guy.  I also feel Sowell will contribute as a blocker on ST as he always has.  Health is still a key at TE IMHO.