Thoughts and Observations: Preseason 1

WindyCity

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not comparing the two Hall's. I'm comparing them to Taylor Gabriel. Both Hall's stink. To expect them to replace a veteran, fast receiver with good hands is unreasonable but also the most Chicago thing out there

Like I posted previously Marvin Hall was signed primarily as a replacement for Bellamy and for now that's more than likely what we expect out of him.  That and as a backup for Gabriel not as his immediate replacement.

Next season things may change depending on whether or not Nagy, Furrey, and Pace feel Marvin Hall can be a legit deep threat every game. But for now it's too soon to tell just what we may have in him.

20 minutes ago, soulman said:

Could go either way brother.  Remember, Marvin Hall plays ST and was signed as a replacement for Josh Bellamy as much as anything.  I don't see him taking Gabriel's job away in 2019 and maybe not in 2020 either.  We just don't know enough yet.

Bunting has not played ST and even if he can I doubt he'll replace Braunecker in that role whose more experienced and a key four unit guy.  I also feel Sowell will contribute as a blocker on ST as he always has.  Health is still a key at TE IMHO.

51 minutes ago, soulman said:

If Hall was used primarily as a deep threat in Atlanta wouldn't that explain his lower catch ratio?  What percentage of deep throws did Ryan hit on or any other QB for that matter.  Mitch struggled with his deep ball last year as well.

I can't tell you whether or not Hall will replace Gabriel but I can tell you that Gabriel's catch ratio was greater because he was used more often on shorter routes and screens. And.....we may not replace Gabriel at all.  Who knows?

Another possibility if we do is Miller.  He was actually targeted deep more often than anyone and may be this season as well.

I'm not looking to move on from Gabriel as much as I'm looking at his cap hit vs his production and the fact that he doesn't play ST and Marvin Hall does.  Hall is also what, $5 mil cheaper and at some point we'll have cap casualties.

If it came down to needing that $5 mil to say keep Kyle Long around another year would you object?  Are the catches Gabriel may or may not make more important than our running game or keeping Mitch upright and uninjured?

IMHO Marvin Hall is simply Ryan Pace thinking ahead a bit and also signing a WR whose a ST guy who can replace Bellamy.  That's it.

Hall was signed to be competition for PR/KR duties. Bellamy was a great ST in that he got his nose dirty and wasn't afraid to smack someone. I can't see Hall being that player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Could go either way brother.  Remember, Marvin Hall plays ST and was signed as a replacement for Josh Bellamy as much as anything.  I don't see him taking Gabriel's job away in 2019 and maybe not in 2020 either.  We just don't know enough yet.

Bunting has not played ST and even if he can I doubt he'll replace Braunecker in that role whose more experienced and a key four unit guy.  I also feel Sowell will contribute as a blocker on ST as he always has.  Health is still a key at TE IMHO.

That's why I'm thinking the team will play this position cautiously with both Burton and Shaheen no sure bets to stay healthy this coming season.  Sowell is a hybrid guy between the OL and TE positions but since he's officially listed as a TE now I am including him in the 5.

I am also assuming that Bunting will make the team, but that is far from a lock at this point.  If he keeps impressing though, as I'm hearing and witnessed in the game vs Carolina last week then it will be hard not to keep him considering the other question marks at the position.

• Like 1

Marvin Hall has deep speed which is what our team is lacking. It's why we hoped to hit on Emmanuel Hall -- too bad we didn't.

I don't think he's a replacement for Turbo right now, but let's talk again in Feb 2020.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Hall was signed to be competition for PR/KR duties. Bellamy was a great ST in that he got his nose dirty and wasn't afraid to smack someone. I can't see Hall being that player.

But I don't believe that's all he was brought in for since most ST guys will play both ways or like Cohen and Patterson they're contributors on other units.  Anyway, Hall is 3rd on the depth chart as a KR behind Patterson and Miller and 2nd behind Cohen as a PR.

What's odd so far is that Kerrith Whyte isn't listed.  The others are Franklin III/KR, and Jackson, Duck and Shelley/PR.

Bellamy was a little bigger than Hall but at 190lbs Hall is about the same weight as other coverage guys and bigger than others.  He could certainly play on coverage teams and I believe he is and has at Atlanta.  So I won't assume he won't playing here.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Marvin Hall has deep speed which is what our team is lacking. It's why we hoped to hit on Emmanuel Hall -- too bad we didn't.

I don't think he's a replacement for Turbo right now, but let's talk again in Feb 2020.

And that's my thinking as well.

Gabriel is a proven commodity as a WR whereas Hall is not.  But that's not to see can't become one.

FWIW here's Nagy commenting on Marvin Hall;

"He's really smooth as a route runner," Nagy said of Marvin Hall. "Obviously fast. He has natural hands. He's really taken everything that we do with this offense. It hasn't been too much a challenge for him. Some of the guys, they can hiccup on it a little bit, but he's done really well."

1 hour ago, soulman said:

FWIW here's Nagy commenting on Marvin Hall;

"He's really smooth as a route runner," Nagy said of Marvin Hall. "Obviously fast. He has natural hands. He's really taken everything that we do with this offense. It hasn't been too much a challenge for him. Some of the guys, they can hiccup on it a little bit, but he's done really well."

So he didn't say that he's slow, has bad hands, learns slowly and has all in all done poorly?

I'm stunned.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

So he didn't say that he's slow, has bad hands, learns slowly and has all in all done poorly?

I'm stunned.

You posted that Marvin Hall is "horrible" and all I was doing is showing you, and others, that Nagy doesn't agree with that assessment.