Kicker saga continues, Bears cut all - only Piniero remains

malagabears

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

On the topic of Pineiro, it seems like when he rushes the approach on his kickoffs they end up significantly shorter, he slowed it down after we went up 20-17 and it was an absolute bomb.

I think they wanted him to kick to 1 at times.

Big night for Pineiro and he responded.

I really like the volume of kicks that he had. 5/5 gives us a nice addition to the sample size.

I really wanted Nagy to kick the 56 yarder where he went for it on 4th down. I know, why screw up a big night for the kid, but if he had stroked that we would really be rocking.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Big night for Pineiro and he responded.

I really like the volume of kicks that he had. 5/5 gives us a nice addition to the sample size.

I really wanted Nagy to kick the 56 yarder where he went for it on 4th down. I know, why screw up a big night for the kid, but if he had stroked that we would really be rocking.

He’s done enough to me to make this not a story any more. He’s shown to be a professional caliber kicker. I don’t know what more people need to see. He’s got a plus NFL leg. He’s converting at 88.9% as a Bear. Not counting his college XP he’s 50/56 overall since 2016 in games (89.2%). Nagy said he wanted to see how his kickers respond when they miss and Pineiro has responded to his only miss as a Bear by making 8 in a row, earning some backup from him and the apparent support and respect from his teammates (did you see the way Mitch and AR reacted to that 58 yard make yesterday?). He’s a good fit with this group with his swagger too. Other than longevity, which he actually needs time to establish, what more do you need to see from him? What other boxes has he not yet checked? 

This is only still a big story going forward because those who write the stories and those who expect perfection just refuse to let it end. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s done enough to me to make this not a story any more. He’s shown to be a professional caliber kicker. I don’t know what more people need to see. He’s got a plus NFL leg. He’s converting at 88.9% as a Bear. Not counting his college XP he’s 50/56 overall since 2016 in games (89.2%). Nagy said he wanted to see how his kickers respond when they miss and Pineiro has responded to his only miss as a Bear by making 8 in a row, earning some backup from him and the apparent support and respect from his teammates (did you see the way Mitch and AR reacted to that 58 yard make yesterday?). He’s a good fit with this group with his swagger too. Other than longevity, which he actually needs time to establish, what more do you need to see from him? What other boxes has he not yet checked? 

This is only still a big story going forward because those who write the stories and those who expect perfection just refuse to let it end. 

Because people are wont to admit they were wrong.  They have been saying for a month true kicker isn’t on the roster.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think they wanted him to kick to 1 at times.

Ah, if so then he did a great job. lol

Is that for him to gamble and to potentially get the other team to start behind the 25? I think the starting field was great there, but there is an element to luck as well if that is the case IMO.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Ah, if so then he did a great job. lol

Is that for him to gamble and to potentially get the other team to start behind the 25? I think the starting field was great there, but there is an element to luck as well if that is the case IMO.

I think they probably just wanted to see the ST coverage team.

• Like 1

Nagy on that last field goal attempt for Pinerio.

He said pre game ST coach give him parameter of distances/hash marks/etc. kicker is likely to make or miss.  

That last field goal was a likely miss or bad enough odds to avoid, so Nagy didn't do it.  

He says he wanted to, but he has to stay disciplined to their pre game analysis which is there for a reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Nagy on that last field goal attempt for Pinerio.

He said pre game ST coach give him parameter of distances/hash marks/etc. kicker is likely to make or miss.  

That last field goal was a likely miss or bad enough odds to avoid, so Nagy didn't do it.  

He says he wanted to, but he has to stay disciplined to their pre game analysis which is there for a reason.

Smart coaching all the way around.

Nagy sounded to me like a guy who was not only ready to keep Pineiro outside of surprise availability of a solidly proven option, but also ready to give him a bit of rope to find the consistency everyone covets from the position. I’m fully on board with that.

Pineiro has gone 8/9 on FG through 4 PS games, including converting his last 8 in a row. A 32/36 pace. Literally every team in the league would take that. Further re: XP, there were only 3 kickers in the entire league among those attempting 20 XP or more who didn’t miss an XP last year, and they ranked 14th, 24th and 30th in attempts. Further, only 14 kickers among those attempting 20+ didn’t miss at least two. Several kickers, including some really good ones (Gould, Bryant, Butker, Myers, Gano), missed more XP than FG last year. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nagy sounded to me like a guy who was not only ready to keep Pineiro outside of surprise availability of a solidly proven option, but also ready to give him a bit of rope to find the consistency everyone covets from the position. I’m fully on board with that.

Pineiro has gone 8/9 on FG through 4 PS games, including converting his last 8 in a row. A 32/36 pace. Literally every team in the league would take that. Further re: XP, there were only 3 kickers in the entire league among those attempting 20 XP or more who didn’t miss an XP last year, and they ranked 14th, 24th and 30th in attempts. Further, only 14 kickers among those attempting 20+ didn’t miss at least two. Several kickers, including some really good ones (Gould, Bryant, Butker, Myers, Gano), missed more XP than FG last year. 

It's odd how that's working out.  I first noticed it when culling through Robbie's stats.

What is there about that particular attempt that seems to jinx so many otherwise very good PKs?

1 hour ago, soulman said:

It's odd how that's working out.  I first noticed it when culling through Robbie's stats.

What is there about that particular attempt that seems to jinx so many otherwise very good PKs?

It's a weird angle and there is virtually no margin of error on the xp now.  If anything goes wrong mechanically it's a miss. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He still left door open that they might not keep him.  Press kept pressing him on it.  I would be shocked if they didn't though.  

I think door was open because he can't just unilaterally make that call at a post game press conference.  It's Pace's call with advice from Nagy or they at least have to discuss it. However they do cuts.

Edited by dll2000