Kicker saga continues, Bears cut all - only Piniero remains

malagabears

21 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm not opposed to Fry at all.  I like the fact that he has been uber consistent in camp and in the AAF and 75%/99.4% FG/PAT in college.  We'll attempt far more kicks from under 50 yards than over 50 yards and he has hit from as far as 60 yards in camp.

My only question is based on him being from the South and having kicked in the South throughout his career.  Parkey was far better kicking in Miami than in Chicago so will Fry end up as another warm weather PK who can't handle Chicago in Nov.-Jan.?

Both guys are meeting my expectations so far.

I have no dog in this fight but how can you call Fry consistent when his average s lower than Pinero's. Both of these guys are here for the duration of the pre season after that the coaches should have enough info to make a decision on who is going to kick in the regular season.

Edited by blkwdw13
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I have no dog in this fight but how can you call Fry consistent when his average s lower than Pinero's. Both of these guys are here for the duration of the pre season after that the coaches should have enough info to make a decision on who is going to kick in the regular season.

I don't think that set in stone. They are going to take it game by game. 

10 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I have no dog in this fight but how can you call Frye consistent when his average s lower than Pinero's. Both of these guys are here for the duration of the pre season after that the coaches should have enough info to make a decision on who is going to kick in the regular season.

I was also taking his 14-14 AAF record into consideration as I believe AZ was as well.  That is pro game experience Piniero lacks.

And basically they about even as far as accuracy goes.  IIRC until the Carolina Piniero was at 85% in camp and Fry 84.7%.

Edited by soulman

2 hours ago, GBHalas said:

Just saw the Vikings just traded for Vedvik, guessed desperate teams do desperate things lol

Chris Tomasson‏ @christomasson

In addition to the #Vikings, the teams I've been told that wanted to trade for kicker-punter Kaare Vedvik were Chicago, Green Bay and the New York Jets.

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm glad we didn't trade for Vedvik.

Me too. And I like him. But giving up a 5th for a guy no less a complete unknown than what we already have is beyond my comfort level. 

To me either we go with one of our own kids or sign a vet like Bryant for 2019 and PS one of them for development throughout the year to be the guy in 2020. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Chris Tomasson‏ @christomasson

In addition to the #Vikings, the teams I've been told that wanted to trade for kicker-punter Kaare Vedvik were Chicago, Green Bay and the New York Jets.

I think what he meant is you had a PK coming back from last season as does GB whereas Chicago and NY are hunting for one.

Personally I see it as a smart move.  The kid can punt very well too.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Me too. And I like him. But giving up a 5th for a guy no less a complete unknown than what we already have is beyond my comfort level. 

To me either we go with one of our own kids or sign a vet like Bryant for 2019 and PS one of them for development throughout the year to be the guy in 2020. 

Yup.  Baltimore was trolling him to the highest bidder looking for as high as 4th.  No way Pace was ever gonna jump that high or even a 5th.

FWIW here's how the PK competition through camp ended not including the preseason game last week.

Fry: 48/59/81.4%

Piniero: 48/57/84.2%

So it would seem that neither has won or lost the job and both are fairly even.  The next three games should decide a winner.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

FWIW here's how the PK competition through camp ended not including the preseason game last week.

Fry: 48/59/81.4%

Piniero: 48/57/84.2%

So it would seem that neither has won or lost the job and both are fairly even.  The next three games should decide a winner.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct

84% puts you right in middle of league.  I would also note that those percentages include a lot of short kicks.  In practice you usually don't practice many short kicks aside from extra points.  

We were bottom 6 last year at 76%.

I would also note, and I think this is important that we had lowest long made field goal at 50.   Not being able to make kicks from outside 50 leaves a lot of points on the field.  

Being able to make kicks outside of 50 is a huge bonus.  That extra 3 points at end of halves is huge.  We had 2nd fewest attempts at over 50 in whole league at only 3.  We made 1.

So we made one field goal from 50 on  3 attempts, while 14 teams made vast majority in 10+ tries.  That is difference between winning and losing a lot of games.  Most point spreads are around 3 for a reason.

My point is a big leg matters.  This isn't even discussing taking KR out of game when you want to which is not nothing.  Cordarelle Patterson was a major reason we lost to Patriots last year and didn't get a bye.  

Being accurate from 40 yards in and not being able to kick the deep ball is weak sauce.

Why I am hoping Pineiro is accurate enough to win the job.  I am not biased, I just want the weapon.  

Edited by dll2000
typos
  • Like 2

Worth considering too, and I hadn’t thought about it until today - if we sign a vet and they’re on the roster week 1 I believe their salary is guaranteed for the entire season, but that’s not the case with a rookie. All the more reason to think they wanna give every chance to one of these guys to win the job. 

• Like 1

Also FWIW, Nagy has been steadfast all along that he doesn’t expect that his kickers will make every kick, while also saying he wants his kicker to be consistent. Seems to me that it’s guys like us and the media that seem to have the higher expectations. Nagy needs reasonable reliability. Fans and media want an all star. 

Biggs in his mailbag today about Joey Slye, for those looking for some perspective: 

Joey Slye looked like the best kicker on the field Thursday. Signed just two week ago, how was he not on the Bears’ radar? Jamie Kohl, the consultant they hired, should be fired. — Jeffrey L., Parts Unknown

Slye had the best night of any kicker on the field last week at Soldier Field, no question about that, as he nailed field goals from 29, 42 and 55 yards in the preseason opener for the Panthers. It was an impressive performance by Slye, and he showed plenty of leg strength, which he was known for during his career at Virginia Tech, where he became the school’s all-time leading scorer. To suggest Kohl is unfamiliar with Slye would be inaccurate. Slye has trained through Kohl’s kicking camps previously. Reality is Slye has struggled with accuracy, which is something he dealt with as a senior for the Hokies, when he made 15 of 22 field goals (68.2 percent). The Buccaneers and Browns gave Slye tryouts in 2018 and he couldn’t stick. The Giants brought him in during May when the Bears were having their kicker carnival at Halas Hall and they didn’t sign him. Then the Giants signed Slye just before training camp and cut him four days later. The Panthers signed him because veteran Graham Gano is dealing with a sore left plant leg. Even after Slye’s nice performance, he’s viewed as a camp leg until Gano gets healthy. Could that change? I suppose so. The point is Slye hasn’t done well enough at previous stops to stick. So to suggest Kohl isn’t doing his job for the Bears based on four kicks by a guy on one night is, well, wide right of the mark. Kohl isn’t the guy that cut Robbie Gould. He didn’t sign Connor Barth. He didn’t pay big time for Cody Parkey. He’s doing his best to help the Bears navigate through some serious kicking issues. I’m not sure Slye is really a solution for the Bears.

• Like 2