Kicker saga continues, Bears cut all - only Piniero remains

malagabears

12 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Wonder which kicker they're bringing in from another teams cut pile. Wonder if this changes pinheads performance at all

It could go either way. He might feel more relaxed, confident and comfortable and make everything, or **** himself in the spotlight and be unemployed in 12 days.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think people always forget that kick was tipped and still traveled 43 yards and missed by 4 inches.  Pretty damn good kick.  This after a perfectly timed ice time out.

Give some credit to Cox and Philly defense.  Cox is an amazing football player and even if it wasn't Cox in middle Howard and Oline couldn't run ball between tackles all year.  But Cox was there so forget about it. 

I think but for Burton's freak groin injury that game goes other way.  They took Cohen out of game with doubles, every other guy got shut down man to man and it took us a full half to figure out Robinson was where we had to go. 

And we were missing both Jackson and Callhan on defense. 

I can think of at least one heave sent up for grabs late in the game I believe Eddie would have picked and could Callahan have defended the winning TD pass better than McManis?

And this is in addition to scoring only 15 points.  I was never a Parkey fan to begin with but a failure to score more than 15 points had more to do with that loss than a missed FG.

The issue for Parkey was too many misses throughout the season AND blowing that one.  Yeah, it was tipped but his trajectory was low as well and that has also been discussed.

Then he hung himself out to dry by going on TV and down playing it's importance in his life.  That was an even bigger mistake to admit in front of your teammates and the world.

I weep not for Cody Parkey.  He wrote his own ticket out of town.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Bull.  When a football has to travel 129 feet in Winter any touching of it makes a significant difference.  How do you touch a ball with just a finger nail anyway unless you have press ons? 

You could argue that it wasn’t properly high enough to clear line, that I am not sure.  If true then I have no defense to that.

He sucked on season, but made every kick that day besides the one that was tipped. 

And I think that was the point that several pros made after seeing the video.  The trajectory was low and that created an opportunity to block it.

If we put two and two together from things Nagy has said about accuracy, distance, and trajectory all being part of their evaluation process I think we can tie that back in to Parkey's miss and that kick was not the only one during the course of the year that I felt was nearly blocked. 

On some of his kicks his launch angle seemed very low and they often sliced to his right. To me that was always an indication he was coming across the face of the ball and not getting enough air under it.  Like Fry he did not have a lot of leg strength.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

And this is in addition to scoring only 15 points.  I was never a Parkey fan to begin with but a failure to score more than 15 points had more to do with that loss than a missed FG.

This is still my biggest issue with the game. The game should never have been able to be decided by him. Our offense was horrendous,  yes the call on Miller's fumble seal seems ridiculous, and yes missing Burton was the big reason but Nagy should have been able to adapt. If not for Tru and Robinsons great plays at the end we would have went out without even a whimper. All things considered the defense was incredible.

That is one of the biggest reasons I want Wims to get used to playing in the slot because I don't want Burton to go down and our offense to unravel again. Because Burton, has much as I liked him all the way back from his days at Florida, is a decent player but not a great player. If that unravels the team with the talent Chicago had then that is a major issue with schemes and adjustments. This year with the added talent in the backfield and young guys coming in they should not be in that position if he goes down again.

I want to see growth from Nagy as much as I do Trubisky. Both have set up one hell of a foundation, now I want to see them getting closer to the finished product

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

This is still my biggest issue with the game. The game should never have been able to be decided by him. Our offense was horrendous,  yes the call on Miller's fumble seal seems ridiculous, and yes missing Burton was the big reason but Nagy should have been able to adapt. If not for Tru and Robinsons great plays at the end we would have went out without even a whimper. All things considered the defense was incredible.

That is one of the biggest reasons I want Wims to get used to playing in the slot because I don't want Burton to go down and our offense to unravel again. Because Burton, has much as I liked him all the way back from his days at Florida, is a decent player but not a great player. If that unravels the team with the talent Chicago had then that is a major issue with schemes and adjustments. This year with the added talent in the backfield and young guys coming in they should not be in that position if he goes down again.

I want to see growth from Nagy as much as I do Trubisky. Both have set up one hell of a foundation, now I want to see them getting closer to the finished product

Seems like Wims is proving himself to be a very dependable WR and with a little more playing time I believe Ridley will also step up.

That's two more receivers who can play any of the receiver positions and allow Nagy to use them in addition to Burton.  ARob is also effective playing from the slot so I think the added depth and Mitch having learned more of the scheme will help to offset any losses due to injury as long as we don't have multiple ones.

Losing Burton in effect also took Cohen out of the game and we never did establish a decent running game so Philly could dare Nagy to beat them with just Mitch and ARob and we damn near did.  I suspect this offense once it's gets going will be 150% better than last years and much deeper across the board as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Fry is gone. 

The Bears are down to one kicker. Head coach Matt Nagy announced on Sunday that the team has waived Elliott Fry off of their 90-man roster. Fry missed a field goal against the Giants on Friday night, but made the three other kicks he’s tried this offseason.

The move leaves Eddy Pineiro as the only kicker currently on hand, but Nagy made it clear that Fry’s departure doesn’t mean Pineiro will be the kicker against the Packers on September 5.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/18/bears-waive-k-elliott-fry/

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Bears are down to one kicker. Head coach Matt Nagy announced on Sunday that the team has waived Elliott Fry off of their 90-man roster. Fry missed a field goal against the Giants on Friday night, but made the three other kicks he’s tried this offseason.

The move leaves Eddy Pineiro as the only kicker currently on hand, but Nagy made it clear that Fry’s departure doesn’t mean Pineiro will be the kicker against the Packers on September 5.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/18/bears-waive-k-elliott-fry/

Nice....but you're late to the party brother.  We've already been batting this around.  It's what's been expected for awhile now.

And congrats on landing Vedvik.  Hopefully he sticks around longer than for a cup of coffee and the morning paper. ;)

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Nice....but you're late to the party brother.  We've already been batting this around.  It's what's been expected for awhile now.

And congrats on landing Vedvik.  Hopefully he sticks around longer than for a cup of coffee and the morning paper. ;)

i understand. i just thought it was worthwhile that Nagy stated clearly that Pineiro has not won the job yet either.

thanks about Vedvik, we'll see if works out really well or doesn't even make the cut. because now our regular kicker and punter have stepped up their game since we signed V, lol!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think people always forget that kick was tipped and still traveled 43 yards and missed by 4 inches.  Pretty damn good kick.  This after a perfectly timed ice time out.

Give some credit to Cox and Philly defense.  Cox is an amazing football player and even if it wasn't Cox in middle Howard and Oline couldn't run ball between tackles all year.  But Cox was there so forget about it. 

I think but for Burton's freak groin injury that game goes other way.  They took Cohen out of game with doubles, every other guy got shut down man to man and it took us a full half to figure out Robinson was where we had to go. 

Imo the entire season we were too conservative on offense. Caused a couple of our losses. We never stood a chance winning a super bowl when we’re playing casually on O defat does of a talented D

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Imo the entire season we were too conservative on offense. Caused a couple of our losses. We never stood a chance winning a super bowl when we’re playing casually on O defat does of a talented D

Being conservative on defense CLEARLY cost us a couple of games, though...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i understand. i just thought it was worthwhile that Nagy stated clearly that Pineiro has not won the job yet either.

thanks about Vedvik, we'll see if works out really well or doesn't even make the cut. because now our regular kicker and punter have stepped up their game since we signed V, lol!

I normally won't contradict Nagy but when you've pared like 8 or 9 PKs you began with down to two before camp and then after 4 weeks or so of joint competition down to just one with only 3 weeks to go 'til your opener I'd say for all intents Piniero has won the job so all he can really do is lose it by screwing up.

I'm not implying we shouldn't keep an eye on other possibilities but as long as Piniero keeps making 85% of his kicks or more the chances of finding anyone else demonstrably better are slim.  From what I can tell another half dozen or so who will probably be cut are all about the same caliber as he is.

Vedvik was one who stood out above others which is why you guys gave up a 5th for him and we would have been willing to as well.  I can't imagine whatever conditions Pace insisted on were very onerous and may only have been conditioned on a serious injury.

• Like 1