Kicker saga continues, Bears cut all - only Piniero remains

malagabears

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Bears are down to one kicker. Head coach Matt Nagy announced on Sunday that the team has waived Elliott Fry off of their 90-man roster. Fry missed a field goal against the Giants on Friday night, but made the three other kicks he’s tried this offseason.

The move leaves Eddy Pineiro as the only kicker currently on hand, but Nagy made it clear that Fry’s departure doesn’t mean Pineiro will be the kicker against the Packers on September 5.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/18/bears-waive-k-elliott-fry/

Where did they get that Fry has mad his three other kicks this offseason, he has only attempted 2 total, I'm thinking their sloppy reporting got the two kickers mixed up.

A 43 yard field goal should never be blocked by a 6’2” DT who does not penetrate across the line of scrimmage. 

Pinero has 2 games to kick this down and we need kick volume to actually get an accurate picture. I would like to see 8-10 kicks over the next 2 games to get a bigger sample size.

• Like 1

Cool story bro, from Wikipedia:

Pineiro started off playing soccer, he was a four-time All-Dade County pick in soccer and signed with Florida Atlantic on a scholarship. [2] Despite having grown up only playing soccer, he joined the Miami Sunset Senior High football team in his senior season, handling extra points and kickoffs. [2] His dad encouraged him to try on football cleats and pads but with no football scholarship, Pineiro went on to play soccer for a small junior college, ASA College. In the summer of 2015 he went to an open kicking combine at the University of Alabama. Out of hundreds of kickers, Alabama coach Nick Saban narrowed his scholarship offers to Chris Salek and Pineiro. [3] Pineiro verbally committed to Alabama but later tried out for Florida and ultimately that was where he chose to play.

During his final year of college Pinerio had the best field goal percentage in the nation, 94.4% (17-for-18).[1] He finished his career with an 88.4% (38-for-43) field goal conversion rate, which ranks first in UF history (min. 35 attempts) as he passed Bobby Raymond (87.8%, 43-of-49, 1983-84.) His 38 made field goals place him sixth all-time in Florida history. He also connected on 16 straight field goals to close the 2017 season, which tied Jeff Chandler (2001) for the second longest streak in program history. [1] He played for the Gators during the 2016 and 2017 seasons.[4]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

A 43 yard field goal should never be blocked by a 6’2” DT who does not penetrate across the line of scrimmage. 

Pinero has 2 games to kick this down and we need kick volume to actually get an accurate picture. I would like to see 8-10 kicks over the next 2 games to get a bigger sample size.

I’m glad they picked one now rather than 2 weeks from now. Not only does it give Pineiro the rest of the kicks and a shot of confidence but also sets up as a him-against-the-field scenario should he falter as well which IMO is better than THEM-against-the-field.

If it’s not Pineiro at this point I do expect a vet like Bryant. I still expect Pineiro to kick for us week 1 if for no other reason than because the salary of any vested veteran would be fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster week 1, but not if added after week 1. I do think he’ll hold the job though, and not because I care about being right about him - I care only about having a competent kicker. Really we should all want that regardless of whether or not we think he should be the guy because it’d be best for the team in all regards. 

I don’t think the NFL has seen the last of Fry either. He’ll get stronger and be back somewhere next offseason IMO, if not sooner. 

• Like 1

I'll only say that we kinda knew this was coming either this week or next.  With only two games remaining one or the other had to get a go sign.  If nothing much but Piniero's leg strength had separated them so far I doubt that would have changed much two weeks from now.

I like that Nagy is not giving any Pineiro any guarantees just because they released Fry.  As far as I can tell this means that Pineiro still has a 2 game audition to prove that he deserves a roster spot this season.  Makes sense to give the guy you think has been better to this point all of the rest of the preseason opportunities to prove himself.

If he shows well then good, but if not then expect Bears to put in a claim for Panthers kicker Joey Slye or to add a vet after week 1, as AZ made reference to.

Jets 2 kickers are 2-6 on extra points.

Tennesse kicker is 2-4.

6 kickers have missed extra points so far.

ATL kicker is 4-7 on FG.

DAL is 3-5

Buf and NE are 1-3.  

Ten and Cle are 0-1.

Only 6 kickers in entire league are perfect on more than 4 FG attempts.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2019&type=pre&mode=K&conf=&limit=100&sort=kickfgm