Kicker saga continues, Bears cut all - only Piniero remains

malagabears

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Jets 2 kickers are 2-6 on extra points.

Tennesse kicker is 2-4.

6 kickers have missed extra points so far.

ATL kicker is 4-7 on FG.

DAL is 3-5

Buf and NE are 1-3.  

Ten and Cle are 0-1.

Only 6 kickers in entire league are perfect on more than 4 FG attempts.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2019&type=pre&mode=K&conf=&limit=100&sort=kickfgm

Wait - other kickers miss??! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

would be fine if the Bears kicked on 1st or 2nd down to ensure that Pinero kicks a couple of 50 yarders.

1st and 10 from the 35. Send out Pinero from 52. I don’t need to see the Tyler Bray led backup offense score a TD,

Yeah, gimme 3 FB dives and a kick there too. I’ve been advocating for the 3rd down “Chase throw it out the back of the end zone” play call for 2 games already. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, gimme 3 FB dives and a kick there too. I’ve been advocating for the 3rd down “Chase throw it out the back of the end zone” play call for 2 games already. 

I want 8-10 kicks from Pinero with a couple bombs mixed into it.

I could care less if we score another TD.

This is the issue with Bray, he can’t move the ball and limits the chances for kicks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

True but it is better that than talking about a starters injury or a key players hold out. I'll take it this year. LOL

Agreed.  If uncertainty about our PK is our biggest concern we are a lucky buncha' Bears Fans.

Piniero has made roughly 85% of his kicks in camp and preseason and has shown a strong leg.

I'll take that over Connor Barth, Cody Parkey, and whoever else we've had here for coffee and a sandwich since we cut Robbie Gould.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

Agreed.  If uncertainty about our PK is our biggest concern we are a lucky buncha' Bears Fans.

Piniero has made roughly 85% of his kicks in camp and preseason and has shown a strong leg.

I'll take that over Connor Barth, Cody Parkey, and whoever else we've had here for coffee and a sandwich since we cut Robbie Gould.

Eddy, Eddy, Eddy...

Personally I wouldn't bother with calling plays so that Piniero has to make a 50+ FG.

Why?

Because we already know he can.  He's made them from that distance and beyond before and kicked one from 80 yards as a stunt.

So it's not all about can he but rather will he and even if he makes four 50+ FGs during these last two preseason games that still doesn't assure he'll make the first one he attempts for real or that 56 yard game winner in a critical must win game.

There comes a time when ya' gotta stop shaking the cup and just roll the dice.  He either is our PK or he's not.  I'd be just as happy if not more so seeing nail 6 PATs and a couple of 40 yarders without a miss as I would see him bang one home from 50+ but miss two PATs.  He still has to make a kick after each TD we score too.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I like Nagy's attitude on Pinerio today.   He shouldn't feel like he misses a kick and he's out.  That is too much. 

It’s realistic. I love that he finally pushed back on reality today and reminded people that every kicker misses from time to time. 

• Like 3

So... Adam Vinatieri is the gold standard when it comes to kickers, right?

Has anyone looked at his career numbers?

Or gone year-by-year?

My point being, let's all pump the breaks a bit on our kid Eddie Piñeiro. I hope he makes every kick just like anyone else, but as Coach Nagy has said, there isn't a kicker on the planet that hasn't missed a kick. Let this 23 year old kid work in his craft and hope that we found someone who will be here for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The situation in Carolina makes things very interesting for us...I like Eddie but both those guys seem like upgrades.

Yeah, I'm not sure they would make a move for Slye but if the Panthers keep Slye over Gano, I think Pace might make a move. Since 2012 he's been really good with the exception of 2016, and he's 32, so he probably has another 5+ years of good kicking left.