2017 NFL draft using players the from 2007 draft.

DjRay1985

I have been thinking about doing something like this on the old forum but just never got around to it. Anyways, I know it's a week before football and the draft is long over, but in fun, I thought it would be interesting to fill in each team's draft pick, with the top player available from the 2007 draft from 2017 draft picked player/position.

So for example: since the Browns drafted a DE, I will replace the top Defensive End available from the 2007 draft in their place.

Now I know, best actual player, best available player regardless of position, and a ton of dynamics play into this all. Plus hind sight, looking at the players that year and what happened to them at the time based on where they fell in the draft, how the game is played vs 2007 based on pick choices; thats realistically understood. However, I think it's interesting to see where players from 2007 stack up to their 2017 position counterpart based on their draft stock/pick at the time. So don't blame me if year team's pick sucked giving a player who was a bust a high grade (all QBs that year). Blame the GMs and Scouts that year. IDK maybe someone could do a realistic version on this in a large mock draft?

NOTE: if the next best player available in the 2007 draft was too low out the 1st round, too far fetched with no pro bowls or anything, I used the 2nd round pick choice of the 2017 draft player counterpart and so on. If not good enough still, I used the closest player position available. Most of the issues were from pick 27 - 32. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cleveland Browns Myles Garrett DE - Gaines Adams DE (unfortunately passed away due to a heart condition after only 3 seasons drafted #4 overall by TB)

Chicago Bears Mitchell Trubisky QB - Jamarcus Russell QB (no need to explain, plus I am an LSU fan)

San Francisco 49ers Solomon Thomas DE - Jamaal Anderson DE (lasted 6 seasons in the NFL)

Jacksonville Jaguars Leonard Fournette RB - Adrian Peterson RB (perfect matchup! future HOF)

Tennessee Titans Corey Davis WR - Calvin Johnson WR (WOW, nuff said, future HOF? Maybe)

New York Jets Jamal Adams S - Laron Landry S (LSU to LSU and crazy coincidence, I do think Adams will be better though)

Los Angeles Chargers Mike Williams WR - Ted Ginn Jr. WR (he is still playing so you guys would have longevity)

Carolina Panthers Christian McCaffrey RB - Marshawn Lynch RB (Can't complain about that pick at all, Beast Mode in Carolina, as a Saints fan I am glad thats not a reality)

Cincinnati Bengals John Ross WR - Dwayne Bowe WR (Bowe had a solid 8 seasons in KC, huge bust in Cleveland, but huge payday lol )

Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes II QB - Brady Quinn QB (ouch!! He is a good radio and TV guy IMO)

New Orleans Saints Marshon Lattimore CB - Darrelle Revis CB (Would have been nice to the Saints have this future HOFer, one can only hope Lattimore can get half as good as Revis)

Houston Texans Deshaun Watson QB - Kevin Kolb QB (ouch!! but he did start, and this is why I kept him in his position without moving on the the Texans 2nd round pick a LB)

Arizona Cardinals Haason Reddick LB - Patrick Willis LB (No need to go into how great he was, Imagine how he would be on that Def today let alone still playing)

Philadelphia Eagles Derek Barnett DE - Jarvis Moss DE (Six not great seasons in NFL, he was originally drafted out of Florida #17 overall by Broncos)

Indianapolis Colts Malik Hooker S -  Michael Griffin S (2x pro bowl, and 2nd team all pro, with a solid 9 of 10 seasons in the NFL)

Baltimore Ravens Marlon Humphrey CB - Leon Hall  CB (to me had a solid 9 year career of 8 in Cincy, and was 2nd team all pro in 2009. The Ravens sure could use him now)

Washington Redskins Jonathan Allen DT - Amobi Okoye DT (MEH normal player, nothing really sticks out)

Tennessee Titans Adoree' Jackson CB - Aaron Ross CB (not great, but solid with the Giants, drafted #20 overall)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers O. J. Howard TE - Greg Olsen TE (he alone would change the entire dynamic of the NFC south)

Denver Broncos Garett Bolles OT - Joe Thomas OT (Future HOF)

Detroit Lions Jarrad Davis LB -  Lawrence Timmons LB (solid, solid, solid player with one pro bowl and still playing solid)

Miami Dolphins Charles Harris DE - LaMarr Woodley DE (He wasn't drafted until the 2nd round, but he was the next best DE on the board, and a good solid one at that)

New York Giants Evan Engram TE - Zach Miller (Overall solid TE in his tenure in the NFL)

Oakland Raiders Gareon Conley CB - Chris Houston (had a solid career and a great 2011 season with 5 ints, and most INT ret yards that season too)

Cleveland Browns Jabrill Peppers S - Reggie Nelson S (Still playing and 2x pro bowler and 2nd team all pro in 2015)

Atlanta Falcons Takkarist McKinley OL - Levi Brown OL (Had a solid 4 years in AZ then was injured out the league in 2014)

Buffalo Bills Tre'Davious White CB - CB Pick was too low so WR was next choice - Robert Meachem WR (he was solid for the Saints but T White will prob be the better player in the long run)

Dallas Cowboys Taco Charlton DE - DE Pick was too low so CB was next choice and since Dallas drafted 2 back 2 back CBs, I just chose the best D-Lineman available.  Adam Carriker DT (Rams ROTY, but thats was about it for him; lasted until the 2015 season). 

Cleveland Browns David Njoku TE - TE Pick was too low so QB was next choice - John Beck (yeah Haha) next best for pick would have been an OT - Joe Staley OT (beast of a player; 5x probowler, and 3x 2nd team all pro and still playing)

Pittsburgh Steelers T. J. Watt OLB - John Beason (Super solid pick up; 3× Pro Bowler, First-team All-Pro in 2008 and Second-team All-Pro in 2009)

San Francisco 49ers Reuben Foster LB - Anthony Spencer LB (Career stater in Dallas and a 2012 probowler)

New Orleans Saints Ryan Ramczyk OT - OTs were too low so I chose the closet position G - Ben Grubbs G (2x probowler with the Saints, an a solid career stater, I guess it was inevitable he went to the NO Saints)

Other top named players from 2007 draft not picked/used based on availability and position were (from 1st and 2nd rounds) and maybe Dallas' 1st round pick in this mock draft could have been replaced with one of these guys:

Paul Posluszny, Eric Weddle, Sydney Rice, NYG Steve Smith, and Ryan Kalil

• 4 weeks later...

Archived