Are the Pittsburgh Steelers contenders in the AFC?

DigInBoys

First of all, people gotta stop with the whole 'Le'Veon Bell' loss but. He was gone all of last season and our running game was just fine Last year without Bell, in fact it was, in some ways, better.

AB, just in regard to his skill will be a loss however Ben probably throws less Ints without him because he won't forcing the ball to a singular WR. 

As far as your actual question, who knows, preseason wont even tell us that, however week 1 against the Patriots will. 

I know many think the 'Browns are gonna Browns', and not reach their potential, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers split with the Brown, lose both to the Ravens...inexplicably, as they have seem to have done a couple of times in recent past...and if they lose one to the Bengals, that would leave them 2-4 in the Division, and even if they can pull off a 10-6 from that, they could very well lose the tie-braker to the Browns, or Ravens, or Bengals...who knows who might go 11-5, and realistically, maybe 2 x 9-7 teams, they are out of WC contention.

They have the talent, of course, but they did last year, too...with AB for 15 gms, so... 

As a homer, of course I THINK they can win the Division, and get through the WC round, but realistically??  Most important to me is that the Defense improves, Connor stays healthy, and we have a 2nd WR emerge as a big enough threat to aid Juju...and look to be a legit threat in 2020.

They are certainly contenders. Good O-line, good QB and good skill players on offense will always make you a contender. If Devin Bush proves to be great they could be front runners but I think they will be good on offense and better than average on defense and be in the 10 win range.

Is this a joke?  Of course the Steelers are contenders, they have a Hall of Fame QB and Devin Bush looks to be an amazing addition if his first preseason game is any indication.  Kid can ball and provide much needed speed and playmaking for that D.  On offense they will be fine, have a good OL, Benny Snell was a steal in the draft and James Washington looks to be a legit WR opposite JuJu.  They will be fine and will be good.

I would not be surprised to see the Ravens take a little step back because of the leaders lost on defense in Suggs, Mosely and Weddle.  And Bengals without AJ for awhile will hurt and Browns will be good but there will be growing pains I am sure.  Steelers players have confidence because they expect to win and have a history and tradition of winning.  Browns do not have that, and if they win it will a lot of first times across the board for that organization in quite awhile.  

Edited by Ozzy

Yes.

Steelers were pretty unlucky in one score games last year (they overachieved in that department in 2017), so they should see a regression towards the mean. Granted, they were also pretty healthy last year, so they may not be as lucky when it comes to injuries. All and all, I have they around 10-6,  3rd or 4th seed depending how Indy does in the south and KC and LAC does in the west. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Starless said:

They're the 3rd best team in their division.

Lay off the crack cocaine, 3rd best team. You're the biggest Steeler hater on the board. The Lamar Jackson led Ravens who have an unproven group of WRs and a lot of turnover on defense are not better than Pittsburgh and while on paper it's easy to say Cleveland is, they're not better till they prove it.

The Steelers also have the best QB in the division BY A MILE.

The Ravens can be good but there is a chance they'll struggle with Jackson at QB, then will tell.

Edited by wwhickok