Ravens trade Kicker/Punter Kaare Vedvik to the Vikings for a 5th

wackywabbit

3 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

This was the case before, but since Tony Romo's fumble snap in the playoffs game in Seattle in 2006, the teams do not want to put their backup QB as a holder anymore.

Does anyone remember when Ed McCaffrey used to hold? That's the solution - get a WR to do it, you can ensure he's got the hands to get any sort of snap.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Sam Koch. I would say the only guy close (if not better) is Michael Dickson.

I wouldn't go that far. He's good, but there are a number of quality punters that have a case with Koch (or are in that same ballpark). He's definitely in that conversation, as are others. 

7 hours ago, Dome said:

Kicker/Punter?

can he really do both?

ive been waiting a long time for a guy like this to show up and change the face of special teams 

The only issue I have with it is that the injury risk is much higher, and thus the potential downside for a team is much higher. 

Also, the cynical in me just thinks a kicker that also does punting is an easy target for cheap shots while punting. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Does someone who does both have to concern themselves with leg fatigue over the course of a season?

Yea, I mean who even knows. How long has it been since someone has done both? Would the time spent practicing being good at punting take away from being a good kicker? Or vice versa? If you are a team like the Vikings, who potentially see themselves needing critical kicks made in a playoff clincher or postseason game late in the season, are you really willing to experiment to find out? Is the extra roster spot worth it? 

I'd be really interested in seeing if he could do both, but my guess is that Vikings just make him a kicker.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1