Ravens trade Kicker/Punter Kaare Vedvik to the Vikings for a 5th

wackywabbit

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Kaare Vedvik practiced with the Vikings for the first time on Monday and reports from the session had him hitting field goals of 55 yards and longer with fans cheering on the makes. Vedvik isn’t just a placekicker, however, as he did the punting at Marshall for his final two seasons in college and only added kicking duties during his senior year. Vedvik was kicking with the Ravens before Sunday’s trade, but called himself “an athlete” capable of doing both.

Head coach Mike Zimmer said that Vedvik could do both jobs if he proved to be good enough, but suggested that wasn’t a likely outcome for the 2019 season.

Zimmer: “It’s probably difficult for a rookie, I would think. You’ve got a rookie snapper, and then you’d have a rookie kicker and rookie punter. Then you’d have to find somebody to hold.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/12/mike-zimmer-probably-difficult-for-kaare-vedvik-to-kick-and-punt/

I hate Zimmer now 

6 hours ago, Woz said:

Completely different muscle mechanic

Guys have done it in the CFL for decades - I'm not saying they need to be elite at both, but you'd figure a punter could be a 70% placekicker from inside 40 yards in a pinch

The fact I've seen Quarterbacks and Ochocinco kick in an emergency is ridiculous. As a punter, you's think it would be a handy tool to have in your box as Punters are entirely replaceable

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Vedvik can't even kick while also being the holder?!?

Just cut him now.

Should've traded a 1st for Justin Tucker! I bet he could play 2 positions at once!

I need two 1st for Tucker. Most accurate kicker in NFL history AND he can boot from 60+ yards when his wife's real good to him? Yeah, give me dem picks, bruh!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 2:40 PM, ChazStandard said:

I would ALWAYS have the back-up QB be the holder, because it opens up so much more with regard for trick plays and such.

Yeah, the Vikings are literally the complete opposite. We’ve been having our punter hold for years, and now this year Adam Thielen and Chad Beebe holding kicks.

yesterday..... Dan Bailey was the holder. 

15 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yeah, the Vikings are literally the complete opposite. We’ve been having our punter hold for years, and now this year Adam Thielen and Chad Beebe holding kicks.

yesterday..... Dan Bailey was the holder

haha... "Hey Dan, hold for the kid we just traded a draft pick for to replace you"

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 1:42 PM, Woz said:

Completely different muscle mechanic

That's where the "not even kinda?" from his quote comes into play. 

It's different muscle mechanics to throw the ball vs tucking and running,  different muscle mechanics to tackle someone vs high pointing an INT, different muscle mechanics to truck someone vs hurdling them. Other players aren't locked into one muscle mechanic when they play, I don't see why a kicker has to be if they can learn both mechanics. 

I don't expect someone to come in and be elite or even top tier at both positions, but if they were "good enough" I think it could work like I've come to understand it has worked in the CFL.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...