Kaare Vedvik traded to the Vikings for a 5th

wackywabbit

I'm glad he's a Viking and not a Bear. I really appreciate it. They don't need any more help.

Bailey has considerably dropped off since his days in Dallas, and releasing him saves us some money.

Anyways, thanks. And good luck this year.

Oh, One hypothetical though: how much would it take to trade Justin Tucker?

Edited by SteelKing728

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm glad he's a Viking and not a Bear. I really appreciate it. They don't need any more help.

Bailey has considerably dropped off since his days in Dallas, and releasing him saves us some money.

Anyways, thanks. And good luck this year.

Oh, One hypothetical though: how much would it take to trade Justin Tucker?

Not that he’s on the block, but I wouldn’t do it for anything less than a 1st round pick. You’ve got a kicker that is the only kicker in history above 90%, a guy with the leg to drill 60+ yd field goals, that has proven the clutch gene on multiple occasions, that has embraced the city and fans, has no off the field problems to speak of, and can play for another 10-12 years depending on how well he takes care of his body. That type of package wouldn't come cheap IMO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Jeff Z's recent tweet about Kaare not kicking well in practice makes me more relieved about the 5th round pick. We took the highest pick we could get and jumped all over it before the Vikings could say no or before Kaare missed a kick of any kind in a game.

What were you reasonably expecting, though?  It was the highest pick traded for a kicker in 23 years.  For a guy who has never played a regular season game, let alone made a kick.

18 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

What were you reasonably expecting, though?  It was the highest pick traded for a kicker in 23 years.  For a guy who has never played a regular season game, let alone made a kick.

I was reasonably expecting there to be a bidding war and for us to get a 4th, maybe even a 3rd if Chicago was desperate enough. But again, like I said that's just me being naive. With the premium that's being placed on Kickers right now in the NFL, it's not a surprise that teams are paying higher than ever for them, because right now we're seeing teams' seasons literally end because their kicker can't make kicks. Furthermore, Baltimore has a pretty solid track record right now of grooming great kickers.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I was reasonably expecting there to be a bidding war and for us to get a 4th, maybe even a 3rd if Chicago was desperate enough. But again, like I said that's just me being naive. With the premium that's being placed on Kickers right now in the NFL, it's not a surprise that teams are paying higher than ever for them, because right now we're seeing teams' seasons literally end because their kicker can't make kicks. Furthermore, Baltimore has a pretty solid track record right now of grooming great kickers.

I'm not sure that's particularly a new thing.

2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I'm not sure that's particularly a new thing.

Sure, that's not a new thing but with the emphasis and pressure placed on teams via social media and how viral everything is, it seems like teams missing kicks, especially big kicks, has more of an impact now than ever before, which is leading teams to place bigger premiums on guys who can make kicks reliably.

Kaare Vedvik practiced with the Vikings for the first time on Monday and reports from the session had him hitting field goals of 55 yards and longer with fans cheering on the makes. Vedvik isn’t just a placekicker, however, as he did the punting at Marshall for his final two seasons in college and only added kicking duties during his senior year. Vedvik was kicking with the Ravens before Sunday’s trade, but called himself “an athlete” capable of doing both.

Head coach Mike Zimmer said that Vedvik could do both jobs if he proved to be good enough, but suggested that wasn’t a likely outcome for the 2019 season.

Zimmer: “It’s probably difficult for a rookie, I would think. You’ve got a rookie snapper, and then you’d have a rookie kicker and rookie punter. Then you’d have to find somebody to hold.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/12/mike-zimmer-probably-difficult-for-kaare-vedvik-to-kick-and-punt/

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Man....0/3 to start his career. Meanwhile we just signed a Bears kicker who just drilled a 48 yarder on his first attempt lol

Just shows that teams need to invest more in their long snapper and holder vs just their kicker. It’s all rhythm and the Ravens seem to have a good system with Koch and Cox, especially Koch... he’s an elite holder.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Just shows that teams need to invest more in their long snapper and holder vs just their kicker. It’s all rhythm and the Ravens seem to have a good system with Koch and Cox, especially Koch... he’s an elite holder.

I believe this is where you find the answer. It doesn't make much sense that he was able to produce over to preseasons with us, and suddenly he can't kick when he ends up with the Vikings. If the timing is just slightly off, he either have to get adjusted or they need to change things up for the better.