Report - Dak Seeking 40m Per Year Deal

goldfishwars

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can we please stop making Brady look like some sort of Saint that was looking out for the best interest of the "Team" instead of his Wallet. The only reason Tom Brady was able to take less the past decade, is because he has a Wife who made even more money then him annually!!!! Anyone who thinks that's not really the deciding factor that allowed him to not fleece the Patriots, is fooling themselves. 

He is an outlier, an anomaly that will rarely ever occur again. Both on the field and most definitely off the field Financially with a spouse. Hell apparently Gisele "only" made $10M last year and now Tom coincidentally gets a new contract??  Yeah 👌😎

Let's be real, Brady and any top player can "afford" to take a slight paycut because they are getting paid millions of dollars.  Just because they choose to also have the lifestyle that stretches those millions doesn't mean they they couldn't "afford" to take less.  If you are making the league minimum even, there is 0 reason you should be struggling with paying bills etc unless you just don't live within your means.  It's not like he's a WalMart employee making barely over minimum wage trying to take care of his family that way and struggling, let's be real here ok.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raves said:

Let's be real, Brady and any top player can "afford" to take a slight paycut because they are getting paid millions of dollars.  Just because they choose to also have the lifestyle that stretches those millions doesn't mean they they couldn't "afford" to take less.  If you are making the league minimum even, there is 0 reason you should be struggling with paying bills etc unless you just don't live within your means.  It's not like he's a WalMart employee making barely over minimum wage trying to take care of his family that way and struggling, let's be real here ok.

Let's be more real, any owner could afford to hand out a huge contract to a QB, because they own teams worth billions that pull in tens of millions in profits yearly. Just because they choose to negotiate like hell for a salary cap that puts a cap on their expenses doesn't mean they couldn't "afford" to give more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Let's be more real, any owner could afford to hand out a huge contract to a QB, because they own teams worth billions that pull in tens of millions in profits yearly. Just because they choose to negotiate like hell for a salary cap that puts a cap on their expenses doesn't mean they couldn't "afford" to give more.

I agree with this too.  I don't blame players taking the money they can, or even owners since they are trying to maximize their value as well, which everyone everywhere in life does, I'm just saying when we are talking about "afford to" it doesn't really mean the same at their level than it does at those making even 70k and less a year. 

I can "afford to" stay at my current job where I like my coworkers and know what is expected of me rather than going to another company that might pay more but doesn't have those other aspects I find a bonuses, though I can't "afford to" go to a company where I would make less money than I am but I enjoy the work more, because then I'll lose my house, car, and not be able to eat.

So kudos to players that decide to get the max that they can, but talking about "affording" just has a different context.  Brady has had the luxury of an independently wealthy spouse as well as a desire more for team success than maximizing individual earnings to still maintain the ridiculous lifestyle regardless, but other players could do so as well, it's their choice not to, which is also perfectly fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Raves said:

I agree with this too.  I don't blame players taking the money they can, or even owners since they are trying to maximize their value as well, which everyone everywhere in life does, I'm just saying when we are talking about "afford to" it doesn't really mean the same at their level than it does at those making even 70k and less a year. 

I can "afford to" stay at my current job where I like my coworkers and know what is expected of me rather than going to another company that might pay more but doesn't have those other aspects I find a bonuses, though I can't "afford to" go to a company where I would make less money than I am but I enjoy the work more, because then I'll lose my house, car, and not be able to eat.

So kudos to players that decide to get the max that they can, but talking about "affording" just has a different context.  Brady has had the luxury of an independently wealthy spouse as well as a desire more for team success than maximizing individual earnings to still maintain the ridiculous lifestyle regardless, but other players could do so as well, it's their choice not to, which is also perfectly fine.

Fair enough. 

In general, what drives me nuts in these conversations is that people talk about a player taking less "to save the cap space" as if the salary cap is some mythical thing instead of a budget put in by ownership. It divorces the ownership from the negative fan reaction to what the owners negotiated.

19 hours ago, G said:

Would rather pay Zeke and Cooper under 30 combined (if possible) than Dak 30+ but that's me. This is getting out of hand quickly. I blame the Skins with Cousins and Minny putting the cherry on top. It EXPLODED after that and makes me wish we paid Kalil Mack. Word of advice...Extend your players before they've got you in a corner. KC needs to draft Pat's replacement because he'll break the bank if they wait. O.o

Zeke would get 14-16, Amari Cooper probably 18-20 with Michael Thomas' recent deal. 

When school's have a low budget, nobody ask teachers, principals or anyone else to take less money.  And none of those people ever offer to take less money.  What do they do?  They cut programs and funding in other places and a lot of time that directly negatively impacts the students - the same students they're are supposed to be serving.

Nobody else is asked to take less salary at other jobs because that's seen as unreasonable.  Yet, we ask professional athletes to take less money all the time.  Dak Prescott generates and will generate hundreds of millions of dollars, yet this is the guy who should take the pay cut? 

Miss me with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can we please stop making Brady look like some sort of Saint that was looking out for the best interest of the "Team" instead of his Wallet. The only reason Tom Brady was able to take less the past decade, is because he has a Wife who made even more money then him annually!!!! Anyone who thinks that's not really the deciding factor that allowed him to not fleece the Patriots, is fooling themselves. 

He is an outlier, an anomaly that will rarely ever occur again. Both on the field and most definitely off the field Financially with a spouse. Hell apparently Gisele "only" made $10M last year and now Tom coincidentally gets a new contract??  Yeah 👌😎

Because, without his wife he'd be flat broke right now only taking 18 million in those years he coulda gotten 25?

He's probably made 350 million ish in his career including endorsements, Had he fleeced the Pats for every cent he could have got he might have made 400 million

He's not a welfare Queen who could only make it work because thank god Gisele also collected a paycheck

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Zeke would get 14-16, Amari Cooper probably 18-20 with Michael Thomas' recent deal. 

Michael Thomas's actual deal is 3 years 45 million. The rest of it is all hogwash and salary manipulation

The breakdown of it makes it 3 years 45, then he'll be renegotiating or he'll be cut

3 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Michael Thomas's actual deal is 3 years 45 million. The rest of it is all hogwash and salary manipulation

The breakdown of it makes it 3 years 45, then he'll be renegotiating or he'll be cut

Looking at it, I can't see any reason why the Saints would back out of it on the 4th year, and I expect the 5th year will play out too. Year 6 really depends on how he's doing at that age since his contract isn't guaranteed at that point.

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

When school's have a low budget, nobody ask teachers, principals or anyone else to take less money.  And none of those people ever offer to take less money.  What do they do?  They cut programs and funding in other places and a lot of time that directly negatively impacts the students - the same students they're are supposed to be serving.

Nobody else is asked to take less salary at other jobs because that's seen as unreasonable.  Yet, we ask professional athletes to take less money all the time.  Dak Prescott generates and will generate hundreds of millions of dollars, yet this is the guy who should take the pay cut? 

Miss me with that.

Asking teachers and principles who are probably making near poverty level to begin with, as well as expecting them to help provide supplies for their classrooms when there isn't funding available, is completely different than asking an athlete to take a few million less so that the team can bring in more help elsewhere and win a championship, which is supposed to be goal of professional teams.

I mean in one scenario, a person taking a paycut means they might not be afford to live, in the other scenario someone might not be able to afford another Bentley.  Also there is plenty of outrage when major corporations cut jobs only for their board members to get multimillion dollar bonuses, the same money that they "saved" by cutting those jobs.

-edit-

Just to add, I think schools in general are vastly underfunded and we should be focused on providing a better education to the young people of our country while they are still in the public education system before going to the for profit secondary education system.

The Cowboys can let Dak walk and not make the playoffs anymore.  Or they can pay him what he deserves and continue to make the postseason.  Yea, Dak's salary looks like it'll be a lot, but in a few years it'll probably be looked at as a good deal.

Remember when Andrew Luck signed the largest QB contract ever years ago?  What does that rank right now?  I think several guys have jumped that deal since Luck signed his. 

3 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Because, without his wife he'd be flat broke right now only taking 18 million in those years he coulda gotten 25?

He's probably made 350 million ish in his career including endorsements, Had he fleeced the Pats for every cent he could have got he might have made 400 million

He's not a welfare Queen who could only make it work because thank god Gisele also collected a paycheck

You're missing the point. Name me another NFL player who at the Top of their game and next in line for a new contract, that intentionally didnt try to reset the Market for the position? Try to be highest paid each contract?

Every single FA QB, WR, RB ,DE, OT , Ect...is trying to be the highest paid at their position. Why, because for most players NFL careers don't last long. For every single other player in the NFL over the past 2 decade, has not had a Wife making 40M a year to compensate for the extra 3-5M "He" could be making.

This isnt about being considered flat broke at only 18M compared to 25M or the average Joe down the street . You joke about Brady going from 350 to $400M potentially had he tried to fleece the Patriots. Yet ignore the Fact 99.9% of the NFL players would kill for an extra 50M over their careers. Why, because their wives didnt make that alone in a single year. 

Monumental difference when comparing Brady to everyone else!  In fact their is no comparison in Sports to the Power Couple of Tom and Gisele Brady, period! The main reason he hasn't squeezed the Patriots to be the highest paid QB in NFL history despite 6 SB rings!

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You're missing the point. Name me another NFL player who at the Top of their game and next in line for a new contract, that intentionally didnt try to reset the Market for the position? Try to be highest paid each contract?

Every single FA QB, WR, RB ,DE, OT , Ect...is trying to be the highest paid at their position. Why, because for most players NFL careers don't last long. For every single other player in the NFL over the past 2 decade, has not had a Wife making 40M a year to compensate for the extra 3-5M "He" could be making.

This isnt about being considered flat broke at only 18M compared to 25M or the average Joe down the street . You joke about Brady going from 350 to $400M potentially had he tried to fleece the Patriots. Yet ignore the Fact 99.9% of the NFL players would kill for an extra 50M over their careers. Why, because their wives didnt make that alone in a single year. 

Monumental difference when comparing Brady to everyone else!  In fact their is no comparison in Sports to the Power Couple of Tom and Gisele Brady, period! The main reason he hasn't squeezed the Patriots to be the highest paid QB in NFL history despite 6 SB rings!

I'm pretty sure it's not because their wives didn't make that, but more because they wasted their money and end up broke because of it and wishing they just had that one more year to continue living that lifestyle.

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'm pretty sure it's not because their wives didn't make that, but more because they wasted their money and end up broke because of it and wishing they just had that one more year to continue living that lifestyle.

No it's not just those you describe.  Even the most frugal, penny pinching best of them in the NFL if given the opportunity to make an extra 50M over the course of their careers, would jump at the chance. Let's not pretend otherwise,  please?

Did Aaron Donald piss away his rookie money? JJ Watt? Rodgers? Julio? Wilson? I'm 100% positive Carson Wentz didn't!

This is about maximizing the financial rewards in what limited time you have as a Professional Athlete. Well for most Athletes that is!

Edited by Nabbs4u