Report - Dak Seeking 40m Per Year Deal

goldfishwars

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I do not get the hype of Dak. Yes he has played some what decent, he is a middle of the pack qb not a top tier. In no way would or should any team put a 3 in front of an 8 figure amount, he is a mid 20s at best per year. He is not a game changing qb and he shouldnt be paid like one. Teams caving to overpaying mediocre players can only lead to a higher salary cap for teams or handicap the team permanently with a contract of this magnitude 

Reading this thread, I'm more inclined to say that Dak is being underrated. Is he a top 5 or elite QB? No. But he is much better than he is being given credit for. Given the 40m a year is bogus, I think Dak at $30m-$34m a year over 5 years would be a good contract for the team.

20 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Reading this thread, I'm more inclined to say that Dak is being underrated. Is he a top 5 or elite QB? No. But he is much better than he is being given credit for. Given the 40m a year is bogus, I think Dak at $30m-$34m a year over 5 years would be a good contract for the team.

how is 30-34 good for the team? Im sorry but he is not top 5 money in the league. Statistically he was 15th in yards in 2018, 16th in TD, 13/14 in completion and attempts......2017 16 and 14th, 2016 19th and 15th....He is middle of the pack as I said. I think giving him mid 20s is the appropriate credit he deserves and 30 is putting a label on him to carry the dallas team to a superbowl if not he will be on the Jimmy G bust train. Until he can prove he is on the same level as the top talented Qbs in the league who constantly produce at a high level deserve 30 mil or more not someone riding middle of the pack thats how the league gets out of hand. Look at all these NBA mediocre players getting paid Elite money because teams are desperate to land someone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

how is 30-34 good for the team? Im sorry but he is not top 5 money in the league. Statistically he was 15th in yards in 2018, 16th in TD, 13/14 in completion and attempts......2017 16 and 14th, 2016 19th and 15th....He is middle of the pack as I said. I think giving him mid 20s is the appropriate credit he deserves and 30 is putting a label on him to carry the dallas team to a superbowl if not he will be on the Jimmy G bust train. Until he can prove he is on the same level as the top talented Qbs in the league who constantly produce at a high level deserve 30 mil or more not someone riding middle of the pack thats how the league gets out of hand. Look at all these NBA mediocre players getting paid Elite money because teams are desperate to land someone.

And as every year that goes by 30m will be middle of the pack by the beginning of 2021.

I mean hell, look at the highest QB contracts from the 2017 season.. 2 seasons ago.

Your top 5 QB salaries are:

1. Joe Flacco - $24.5m
2. Carson Palmer - $24.13m
3. Kirk Cousins - $23.94m
4. Matt Ryan - $23.75m 
5. Ryan Tannehill - $20.3m

He has produced efficiently enough throughout his rookie contract to get this type of contract and I you can put me in the camp of people who thinks it would be stupid to not extend him. 

17 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I don't think Dak wants it though, it's the Cowboys using the fact that he's not worth anywhere near that to check him.
Fairly obvious the sports world would collectively laugh

Running tally this offseason

Let's assume for a moment the $40M/AAV rumor came from the Joneses/Dallas front office when Dak didn't accept the $30M AAV deal (something that I could see them offering)

If you leak disparaging information about me/my client, my hackles are going to go up. I'm going to be less inclined to negotiate because I/my client do not think you are treating me/him fairly.

If this was their strategy to try and force Dak's contract down, it could easily backfire on them if Prescott decides that they aren't negotiating in good faith.

22 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Trade him and draft someone next year. 

who trade for him? Who wants to trade for that comtract mess? If you do trade him, it wont be for much.

Like the Browns got Landry for cheaper because of the contract he was looking for. Who wants to trade for a QB who will be seeking $30m/$40m deal

26 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

And as every year that goes by 30m will be middle of the pack by the beginning of 2021.

I mean hell, look at the highest QB contracts from the 2017 season.. 2 seasons ago.

Your top 5 QB salaries are:

1. Joe Flacco - $24.5m
2. Carson Palmer - $24.13m
3. Kirk Cousins - $23.94m
4. Matt Ryan - $23.75m 
5. Ryan Tannehill - $20.3m

He has produced efficiently enough throughout his rookie contract to get this type of contract and I you can put me in the camp of people who thinks it would be stupid to not extend him. 

And look at those organizations that paid him the only one worth a damn was Matt Ryan who actually carried his team to a superbowl and put them in a position to win where the defense cost them the game. Joe Flacco made it to the playoffs via defense and he carried them to a superbowl game but then counted on the defense to win it and that was before he got paid. After that he has done nothing. The only person that deserved their paycheck is Matt Ryan the rest are over paid. Which is why i think the continuation of overpaying mediocrity is going to be bad for business in the long run unless the league continues to increase the salary cap.

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

who trade for him? Who wants to trade for that comtract mess? If you do trade him, it wont be for much.

Like the Browns got Landry for cheaper because of the contract he was looking for. Who wants to trade for a QB who will be seeking $30m/$40m deal

exactly no one wants middle of the league that is essentially a glorified clock manager. He is on Andy Dalton level then on top 5 Qb level. So why trade and pay him all this?

10 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

exactly no one wants middle of the league that is essentially a glorified clock manager. He is on Andy Dalton level then on top 5 Qb level. So why trade and pay him all this?

I would say he is above Dalton.

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

sorry should have said he is closer to andy dalton level then top 5 qb level. either way dak shouldnt be sniffing 30 mil a year 

Disagree. 30-32 mil a year for five/six years will look like a bargain really soon. The Cowboys will be at a huge advantage again once the new CBA Ros around if Dak and Zeke get paid NOW. Prices are only going to go up. Even if Dak doesn't progress, the cost for a league average QB will balloon, and Dak is a top half of the league QB with potential to get better. Look at how he did once he had a weapon in the passing game.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

Let's assume for a moment the $40M/AAV rumor came from the Joneses/Dallas front office when Dak didn't accept the $30M AAV deal (something that I could see them offering)

If you leak disparaging information about me/my client, my hackles are going to go up. I'm going to be less inclined to negotiate because I/my client do not think you are treating me/him fairly.

If this was their strategy to try and force Dak's contract down, it could easily backfire on them if Prescott decides that they aren't negotiating in good faith.

We would yeah, but it's just kind of business in the league

They'll deny it, blame it on reporters thirsty for a scoop.
But a ridiculous number like that doesn't come from nowhere.

The Cowboys aren't without leverage, they can control him for a couple years still.
And I'm not positive what teams would pay $33+ for him either, so there is leverage there of "You can get that $30 mil a year deal here, and be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys...which will be some of the biggest markets, exposure and brand deals you can get."  

33 minutes ago, Duoathome said:

Disagree. 30-32 mil a year for five/six years will look like a bargain really soon. The Cowboys will be at a huge advantage again once the new CBA Ros around if Dak and Zeke get paid NOW. Prices are only going to go up. Even if Dak doesn't progress, the cost for a league average QB will balloon, and Dak is a top half of the league QB with potential to get better. Look at how he did once he had a weapon in the passing game.

Unless the cap dramatically moves up over the next few years, no it won't.  It'll move up at a decent clip, but eventually, teams won't be able to pay more than 20% of their cap money on a QB, because other players deserve to get paid too.  Not every QB is Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady and can win in spite of the rest of their team.  Dak Prescott isn't in that class and doesn't deserve to be paid like it.  Kirk Cousins' money, sure...but more than Rodgers-level money?  Absolutely not.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Unless the cap dramatically moves up over the next few years, no it won't.  It'll move up at a decent clip, but eventually, teams won't be able to pay more than 20% of their cap money on a QB, because other players deserve to get paid too.  Not every QB is Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady and can win in spite of the rest of their team.  Dak Prescott isn't in that class and doesn't deserve to be paid like it.  Kirk Cousins' money, sure...but more than Rodgers-level money?  Absolutely not.

I mean, the salary cap has been consistently rising at at least 10m a year since 2013. It has increased by $55m in the past 5 years. 

Oh, it certainly has, but I do think it'll slow down for a little bit, unless they can squeeze some more money out of streaming rights, considering how TV ratings are going down.  TV networks may not want to pay as much next go-around.  But, we'll see.

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Oh, it certainly has, but I do think it'll slow down for a little bit, unless they can squeeze some more money out of streaming rights, considering how TV ratings are going down.  TV networks may not want to pay as much next go-around.  But, we'll see.

With the way player rights have been trending in both the NBA and the NFL, I fully expect the NFLPA to hold out for higher CBA percentages of revenues. It could stagnate I suppose, but the NFL has shown no signs of slowing down, even in recent years filled with off field negative publicity.