Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

He’s certainly in a tier with a few other guys in the debate for #4 or #5. And you are really probably splitting hairs among that group.

I think he is up there for sure. I think you could make an argument either way for Dak to be between #5 to #9 based on preference.

I have him as #7 right now with but not much distance between him and the #5 guy or #9 guy

I think one interesting thing will be to see how Wentz and Goff do with their new teams. Not that it will help as Dak's future will be resolved before then but if Wentz and Goff do better with their new teams it goes a long way in showing how current situation goes to determining the success or lack of success of a QB. While I put Dak in top 5, I always wonder about how well would Dak in a different system. I think of Tannahil. NO way did I see him succeeding like he did with Tennessee after how he looked in Miami. 

Either way 10 days left for him to be tagged.

For our hopes and dreams of this upcoming season sure hope a deal is done first.  

3 hours ago, quiller said:

I think one interesting thing will be to see how Wentz and Goff do with their new teams. Not that it will help as Dak's future will be resolved before then but if Wentz and Goff do better with their new teams it goes a long way in showing how current situation goes to determining the success or lack of success of a QB. While I put Dak in top 5, I always wonder about how well would Dak in a different system. I think of Tannahil. NO way did I see him succeeding like he did with Tennessee after how he looked in Miami. 

Either way 10 days left for him to be tagged.

For our hopes and dreams of this upcoming season sure hope a deal is done first.  

A GREAT running game and very good OL can do wonders for a QB.  Tannehill had both.  Wentz will improve in Indy.  They run the ball effectively and he won’t be playing behind a patchwork OL riddled with injury.  He may not be great but he’ll definitely be a least average or better. I expect his INTs to go way down.

I think Jerry was thrown a life line if Russel wants in. Needs to deal Dak and multiple 1sts (Seattle lost both after the Adams trade). Plug in Wilson and hope to hell the defense can get back to something halfway decent. Will be a good 3-4 year window before embarking on a total rebuild.

Edited by WheatieMan

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

I think Jerry was thrown a life line if Russel wants in. Needs to deal Dak and multiple 1sts (Seattle lost both after the Adams trade). Plug in Wilson and hope to hell the defense can get back to something halfway decent. Will be a good 3-4 year window before embarking on a total rebuild.

Haha, no

• Like 1

Here are a few thoughts on Russell Wilson.

1) he’s a better QB than Dak in every aspect of the game.  He’s a true playmaker and game changer.  

2) he had a $65M signing bonus paid by the Seahawks that Dallas would not be responsible to pay.  This equates to $13M per year over the next 3 years.  Dallas would pay Wilson $19M in 2021, $24M in 2022, and $27M in 2023.  Obviously all of that VERY doable under the salary cap and gives Dallas plenty of room to make other moves.

3) the biggest challenge would be Seattle absorbing the huge cap hit of trading Wilson while at the same time paying Dak.  I think Seattle would have around $23M in dead money in 2021.  And unless they agree to a contract extension with Dak, they’d be on the hook for $38M in Dak’s salary.  Obviously that can’t happen.

4) What’s the compensation look like?  Wilson is 32.  Dak is in his athletic prime.  Dak would like fetch 2 1st round picks on the open market.  How much more is Wilson worth?  If it’s this years first, I can live with that.  Anything more that would have to be on a conditional basis for me to fully support it.

Bottom line:  we’d be foolish not to get Wilson if we can without giving up too much.  He gives us the best chance to win regardless and he does not break the bank.  It’s a no brainer.

If you think this team is super bowl ready with Wilson as the QB next year then this is the deal. My main concern is that this team NEEDS THOSE 1st ROUND pics to be anything close to super bowl ready no mater WHO the QB is. That also applies to 2022 IMO as well. Frankly I don't think we are super bowl ready with Wilson or Dak as our QB this year. But with Dak and a good draft this year and next year I think we are or could be close in 2022. BUT WE NEED 1st round high quality DRAFT pics to get there.  

A swap with say third round pics is the only way I could see this keeping the window open while we still have all our offensive weapons. 

WILSON is not a good enough upgrade over DAK.  I would say Mahomes is the only QB who is good enough upgrade.  

19 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

You need to remember, multiple firsts are already included since he’d be on the franchise tag.

2 hours ago, quiller said:

If you think this team is super bowl ready with Wilson as the QB next year then this is the deal. My main concern is that this team NEEDS THOSE 1st ROUND pics to be anything close to super bowl ready no mater WHO the QB is. That also applies to 2022 IMO as well. Frankly I don't think we are super bowl ready with Wilson or Dak as our QB this year. But with Dak and a good draft this year and next year I think we are or could be close in 2022. BUT WE NEED 1st round high quality DRAFT pics to get there.  

A swap with say third round pics is the only way I could see this keeping the window open while we still have all our offensive weapons. 

WILSON is not a good enough upgrade over DAK.  I would say Mahomes is the only QB who is good enough upgrade.  

You’re fooling yourself if you think that Mahomes is the only QB who would be a significant upgrade over what we have. Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, and Patrick Mahomes all represent significant upgrades over what we have in various ways, and one can reasonably argue that Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert do, too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

You’re fooling yourself if you think that Mahomes is the only QB who would be a significant upgrade over what we have. Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, and Patrick Mahomes all represent significant upgrades over what we have in various ways, and one can reasonably argue that Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert do, too.

Does this website exist in some nexus between 2 parallel universes?

In the universe I occupy, probably only 2 of those names are significant upgrades and only 2 more are slight upgrades.

26 minutes ago, D82 said:

Yeah...let those guys come here and have them make the same mistakes Dak does, and fail to win with a below average defense...and let's see how much y'all like them. 

Cowboys fans are ridiculous. 

There’s a fantasy of what QB play looks like outside of Dallas, and it’s probably been aided by the fact that our defense likes to make Sam Darnold look like Joe Montana.

This fan base would *hate* some of the QBs they wax poetic about right now, if they replaced Dak in Dallas.

25 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Does this website exist in some nexus between 2 parallel universes?

In the universe I occupy, probably only 2 of those names are significant upgrades and only 2 more are slight upgrades.

Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson are instant upgrades. Watson would be a slight upgrade. Dak right now is better than the others listed but those other QBs named do have a higher ceiling than Dak.