Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

Should be noted that Matt Ryan is $42m next year. in '22 Kirk Cousins is $45m. These QBs will likely be restructured or extended. Its not uncommon to have a huge number at the end of a contract. 

Edited by Matts4313

4. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS

46.1% completion percentage, 15.2 yards per attempt, 110.2 Passer Rating

One of the areas the Cowboys’ improved passing attack manifested itself last season was in Dak Prescott’s deep passing performance. Prescott threw for the third-most yards on these plays and had the third-most completions. With CeeDee Lamb added to the mix this year, he could appear even higher on this list come next season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-deep-passing

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Should be noted that Matt Ryan is $42m next year. in '22 Kirk Cousins is $45m. These QBs will likely be restructured or extended. Its not uncommon to have a huge number at the end of a contract. 

Should be noted that Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins led teams have had incredibly mediocre levels of success. Should we follow their lead?

FWIW, one of my biggest gripes about Dak from 2018 was how he couldn’t hit Gallup on the deep ball to save his life. He REALLY improved in that area in 2019. He wasn’t perfect but noticeably improved his deep ball accuracy. That’s just the eye test

• Like 1

I get that some people don't like Dak or feel he is not worthy of the contract he's seeking.  That's fine.  Play this scenario out for me.  Dak signs his tender this year and next and then walks.  We then find ourselves rudderless at the most important position on the team heading into the 2022 season.  I hear the argument that the money we save on Dak's contract could be used to improve a number of other positions.  Keep in mind that the Dallas Cowboys I know don't make big splashes in free agency; the notion of signing an impact player won't happen.  We could very well address overall team depth at a number of positions.

Regardless should Dak sign tenders this year and next and then leave what is your plan for the QB position?  I don't think this years club tanks for Lawrence or any other highly rated prospect.  Personally I'll sign Dak to the deal that gives him $35 million a year.  I think with McCarthy and Moore Dak is going to flourish.  

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

In a world according to Matts, the running game doesn't, either.

For me it's always about having a balanced attack.  A solid running game and passing game compliment each other.  Then again I'm a dinosaur.  I got introduced to football during the Schembechler Hayes era of 3 yards and a cloud of dust baby! I won't deny how prevalent passing is in today's game but I still get charged up by a powerful running game.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Northland said:

I'm getting my popcorn ready for this one.

There really is nothing to argue. I have been challenging people for 2 years to prove me wrong. The closest they came was a stat that was like 25 years old. Nothing in this millennia shows you need a highly drafted or highly paid RB. Nothing shows that RBs greatly change the chances you win or that they help your passing games. And no one on this site has any evidence to refute that besides "We liked Emmitt and now we like Zeke". Or "everyone knows you need balance" with nothing to back that statement up.

The simple truth: QBs/Pass Game on offense and a defense that can stop the opposing QB are how you win games. Thats the 'rule' to football. It works 85% of the time. The 15% of the time that your QB sucks and the other teams QB is awesome yet you win are the exception. 

Edited by Matts4313

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

There really is nothing to argue. I have been challenging people for 2 years to prove me wrong. The closest they came was a stat that was like 25 years old. Nothing in this millennia shows you need a highly drafted or highly paid RB. Nothing shows that RBs greatly change the chances you win or that they help your passing games. And no one on this site has any evidence to refute that besides "We liked Emmitt and now we like Zeke". Or "everyone knows you need balance" with nothing to back that statement up.

The simple truth: QBs/Pass Game on offense and a defense that can stop the opposing QB are how you win games. Thats the 'rule' to football. It works 85% of the time. The 15% of the time that your QB sucks and the other teams QB is awesome yet you win are the exception. 

Nothing shows you need a franchise QB either.

20 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

No. Controlling the lines of scrimmage are what win the games.