Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

12 minutes ago, eagles suck said:

Alex Smith 1st 3 yrs

19TDs   31INTs  (Got better with time)

Daks 1st 3yrs

67Tds  25Ints ( Still advancing his game)

This doesn't add up. Don't compare the 2

The comp that Daks floor is peak/current (before injury) Alex Smith is pretty commonly accepted. Their conservative nature isnt too far from eachother. 

Edited by Matts4313

I'm a Bengals fan and we got the Andy Dalton comparisons for the first 3 years of his career to players like Marino and Manning.  Anybody who watched the games knew Dalton wasn't in their class even if his numbers were similar. Prescott isn't an elite QB and wouldn't find much of a market if he was a free agent. If I were the Cowboys, I'd let him play this year for 2 mil, then give him the non-franchise tag and shop himself. If someone else signs him to a big deal, the Cowboys can match or receive 2 first round picks. They could also let teams know they'd take less, say a 1st and 2nd.

My guess is no other team bites, and Dak signs his tender. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'm a Bengals fan and we got the Andy Dalton comparisons for the first 3 years of his career to players like Marino and Manning.  Anybody who watched the games knew Dalton wasn't in their class even if his numbers were similar. Prescott isn't an elite QB and wouldn't find much of a market if he was a free agent. If I were the Cowboys, I'd let him play this year for 2 mil, then give him the non-franchise tag and shop himself. If someone else signs him to a big deal, the Cowboys can match or receive 2 first round picks. They could also let teams know they'd take less, say a 1st and 2nd.

My guess is no other team bites, and Dak signs his tender. 

I, obviously, strongly disagree with this. Daks floor is Alex Smith the last few years. Dak at his peak was Tom Brady-lite. Obvi not Tom Brady, dont misconstrue the post. But that type of play style. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I, obviously, strongly disagree with this. Daks floor is Alex Smith the last few years. Dak at his peak was Tom Brady-lite. Obvi not Tom Brady, dont misconstrue the post. But that type of play style. 

So which teams would give Dak 30-35 mil next offseason and send Dallas a first round pick+?

There will be several teams perhaps looking for starting QBs. But most will go after a rookie like Tua, Herbert, maybe Fromm. If they hit, a cheap QB is a competitive advantage. My guess is that most of the league sees Dak as the beneficiary of surrounding talent and not a guy who lifts a team by himself. But it only takes one..

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

So which teams would give Dak 30-35 mil next offseason and send Dallas a first round pick+?

There will be several teams perhaps looking for starting QBs. But most will go after a rookie like Tua, Herbert, maybe Fromm. If they hit, a cheap QB is a competitive advantage. My guess is that most of the league sees Dak as the beneficiary of surrounding talent and not a guy who lifts a team by himself. But it only takes one..

Dak isnt under contract for next year. So if you are assuming a franchise tag then getting a single 1st... then we have some flexibility in trade terms right? Either way, West coast to East:

1. 9ers could be in the QB market if they admit the Jimmy G experiment has been a bust

2. Broncos

3. Chargers, if Rivers retires. Thats a loaded roster for right now

4. Colts if Brisset sucks

5. Jags/Titans - unlikely, but ya never know when teams arent settled

6. Bucs - if they give up on Jameis

7. Bengals

8. Ravens if Jackson doesnt develop as a passer

9. Dolphins

10. Pats - assuming Brady retires

Are all teams that could have interest in Dak

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Why roll the dice on a rookie when the league already knows Dak can play. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Dak isnt under contract for next year. So if you are assuming a franchise tag then getting a single 1st... then we have some flexibility in trade terms right? Either way, West coast to East:

1. 9ers could be in the QB market if they admit the Jimmy G experiment has been a bust

2. Broncos

3. Chargers, if Rivers retires. Thats a loaded roster for right now

4. Colts if Brisset sucks

5. Jags/Titans - unlikely, but ya never know when teams arent settled

6. Bucs - if they give up on Jameis

7. Bengals

8. Ravens if Jackson doesnt develop as a passer

9. Dolphins

10. Pats - assuming Brady retires

Are all teams that could have interest in Dak

1 Jimmy G has played well when healthy. I doubt the 49ers are looking to replace him.

2 Broncos took Lock this year as Flacco's replacement.

3 Chargers won't want to pay top dollar for a free agent QB. 

4 Colts are a maybe. They have lots of cap room.

5 Jags have Foles. Titans are giving Mariota a last chance so they're a possibility.

6 Buc will probably draft a new QB if Winston flops.

7 Bengals ain't happening. They love Dalton for some reason and drafted Finley as a fallback option.

8 Ravens would be a good fit for Dak but aren't going to throw in the towel on Jackson unless he's worse in year 2 than year 1.

9 Dolphins are tanking for Tua

10 Pats have their future QB in Stidham.

Saints might be a possibility if Brees retires and Teddy struggles this year.

Again, Dak for 30 mil without his Cowboy surrounding cast isn't a bargain to most teams. 

IMO the Cowboys should hire a new coach for 2020 and let him choose his QB, whether Dak or someone else.

The team is coming off 3 straight winning records, a division championship, our cap situation is solid, and our roster is as strong top-to-bottom as it’s been since our Super Bowls, but we’ve got people wanting to fire the coach and trade the QB after the season before we’ve even played one game. 

Seek help.

• Like 3