Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

We signed Poe and McCoy for cheap and paid Dak, while letting Byron walk. 

The Giants brought in Bradberry who is probably one of the best CBs this year, and DT Leonard Williams who has 6 sacks so far. 

I’d rather have Byron, Bradberry, and Williams, than almost any 1 QB. 

I wouldn't. But I would rather have those players over Zeke, Poe, McCoy, Jaylon and possibly Cooper/DLaw.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

We didn’t sign anyone when we were paying Dak so little because we had a high priced QB in Tony Romo. We paid Romo like $108M when he was in his 30s already. So when we had to cut him a few years later his money stayed on the books for 3 of Daks first 4 years. 

Bad QB contracts can haunt you. 

Injuries can hurt you.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I wouldn't. But I would rather have those players over Zeke, Poe, McCoy, Jaylon and possibly Cooper/DLaw.

Injuries can hurt you.

Jones cap hit this year is $17.6MM. The cap hits of Zeke and Jaylon are $18.67MM. Had we not re-signed those two, we could have extended Byron and probably fit in another depth player somewhere. 

14 minutes ago, D82 said:

Jones cap hit this year is $17.6MM. The cap hits of Zeke and Jaylon are $18.67MM. Had we not re-signed those two, we could have extended Byron and probably fit in another depth player somewhere. 

How long do we have before we can reasonably get out of those contracts?

4 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

How long do we have before we can reasonably get out of those contracts?

Well, if we trade Zeke after June 1st we'd save about $9.6MM and only have around $4.6MM dead money. A pre-June 1st trade would result in about $14.9MM in dead money and a -$1.2MM cap hit. If we wait until after next season, we can cut him and save $5.7MM. 

Jaylon we can cut after this season. Only frees up about $400,000 next year but adds more money in future seasons. 

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We signed Poe and McCoy for cheap and paid Dak, while letting Byron walk. 

The Giants brought in Bradberry who is probably one of the best CBs this year, and DT Leonard Williams who has 6 sacks so far. 

I’d rather have Byron, Bradberry, and Williams, than almost any 1 QB. 

Didnt the Giants trade a 3rd for Williams? Who didn't have to move at all given it was the Jets to Giants. 

3 hours ago, D82 said:

Well, if we trade Zeke after June 1st we'd save about $9.6MM and only have around $4.6MM dead money. A pre-June 1st trade would result in about $14.9MM in dead money and a -$1.2MM cap hit. If we wait until after next season, we can cut him and save $5.7MM. 

Jaylon we can cut after this season. Only frees up about $400,000 next year but adds more money in future seasons. 

What would Zeke net in a trade, given his position, production, and the market for Lev Bell being so stagnant. Drake netted a 6th but didn’t have a huge contract. If we get that much of a $ break in the event of a trade then I assume the trade partner isn’t so lucky. That may mean we don’t find a partner at all. 

Edited by DaBoys

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

What would Zeke net in a trade, given his position, production, and the market for Lev Bell being so stagnant. Drake netted a 6th but didn’t have a huge contract. If we get that much of a $ break in the event of a trade then I assume the trade partner isn’t so lucky. That may mean we don’t find a partner at all. 

Guess it depends. There may be a team who thinks they can get something out of him. But likely we're stuck for Zeke until at least 2022. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D82 said:

Guess it depends. There may be a team who thinks they can get something out of him. But likely we're stuck for Zeke until at least 2022. 

We need to focus on preventing any more huge long term contracts for potentially under performing players if we have a chance. 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

I can’t believe people think paying Jones 17 M makes any kind of sense.  Jones is okay but no where near a top 5 corner.  Yes we need Secondary help but I hear people complaining about bloated over paying contracts on one hand then signing Jones to 17 Mil!   And Aldon Smith is a upgrade over Quinn.  The problem I feel was not getting signing help to LVE Smith and Lee.  We are not over paying for Smith but yes he has been mostly trash sense middle 2019.   We will never know but I think Mckoy but I feel his injury really hurt 

I still cannot believe that people think paying Jones 17 M a year for the next 5 is a better option then signing Dak. 

I have no problem with dumping Zeke when it makes financial sense  

for record I would have loved us spending 4 M on Bradbury ...   as depth ..    I also wanted us to spend on a safety.   I still am interested to know what happened to Clinton-Dix.   

but also I would have loved having Lewis Awuzi and Brown not miss all those games beginning of year and Diggs not miss all the games he has.  

I just don’t think people understand how important it was that we had so many injuries to our expected experienced staters to start the year with zero effective training camp to figure it all out. With a new coaching staff

8 hours ago, quiller said:

I can’t believe people think paying Jones 17 M makes any kind of sense.  Jones is okay but no where near a top 5 corner.  Yes we need Secondary help but I hear people complaining about bloated over paying contracts on one hand then signing Jones to 17 Mil!   And Aldon Smith is a upgrade over Quinn.  The problem I feel was not getting signing help to LVE Smith and Lee.  We are not over paying for Smith but yes he has been mostly trash sense middle 2019.   We will never know but I think Mckoy but I feel his injury really hurt 

I still cannot believe that people think paying Jones 17 M a year for the next 5 is a better option then signing Dak. 

for record I would have loved us spending 4 M on Bradbury ...   as depth ..    I also wanted us to spend on a safety.   I still am interested to know what happened to Clinton-Dix.   

but also I would have loved having Lewis Awuzi and Brown not miss all those games beginning of year and Diggs not miss all the games he has.  

I just don’t think people understand how important it was that we had so many injuries to our expected experienced staters to start the year with zero effective training camp to figure it all out. With a new coaching staff

Jones is definitely a top five CB, or at least pretty close. He may not generate turnovers, but he essentially shuts down his side of the field. 

Someone mentioned on Twitter that Xavien Howard saw his number of targets significantly increase since Jones has been on the opposite side, and he's leading the league in interceptions right now as a result. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, quiller said:

I agree with D82 above, also not sure how you think Aldon Smith is such an upgrade over Quinn. I heard you say it’s because Quinn only has 1 sack in Chicago? He’s playing a completely different position in Chicago as well. He was a 4-3 end here. He’s playing outside backer in Chicago. You can’t just assume he’d be producing the same here as he is there. We have seen what he can do here. I don’t need to watch his Chicago tape to determine that.

Speaking of just 1 sack, Aldon Smith has just 1 sack in his last 8 games. 

7. JAMES BRADBERRY, NEW YORK GIANTS — 80.5

Bradberry had one of the toughest gauntlets of receivers to cover during his career with the Panthers, so the chances were always likely that his overall play would improve in New York, and that’s precisely what we have seen. Even with those expectations, Bradberry has been better than most anticipated, and he has been tested plenty. Bradberry is tied for the league lead in combined interceptions and pass breakups with 11, and he has yet to be beaten for a pass longer than 28 yards over the course of the season, despite 41 targets coming his way.