Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

Just looking at the last 6-7 Super Bowls and if it isn't Peyton Manning/Tom Brady then the QB has been on a rookie contract for both teams. It means more in todays NFL to either have a GOAT at QB or to build around a cheap/rookie deal QB. Again not saying Dak isn't a good QB but looking at our roster we have to many holes to put our eggs into that basket. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You spend so much time trying to make excuses for our crappy QB play lately. Its amazing. If you spent half as much time realizing we have a great QB on the roster already you might have a more enjoyable time. 

We literally already had a poster leave because he realized Dak carried our team...

PS: you using drops is ironic, since we led the entire league in them last year and you still gave dak hell. Where were the excuses then?

Calm down little baby boo boo. Nobody is hurting your little Daky Waky. 

Dak had a good year last year passing the ball. I don’t remember “giving Dak hell.” 2017-2018? Yes. Dak sucked. But Dak was pretty good in 2019. Should we pay him whatever he wants at the expense of our defense and OL? No. But he had a good year last year. Quit freakin crying everytime someone says something nice about another QB. Quit freaking sobbing when someone doesn’t have carpet burns on his knees over Dak.

Edited by DaBoys

Cowboys lead the league and drops, and have had a top 16 offense over the last 4 weeks against three top 10 defenses(two top 5s).

“How DARE YOU!!!!” “Can’t believe DaBoys has the audacity to suggest that our WRs are dropping passes and have a serviceable offense without the only good QB to ever exist, Dak My Precious Prescott!”

I don't think having a top-16 offence (17th if using just the last 3 weeks) means a whole lot when the gap between KC (#1) and the Boys is 150 yards per game. Even between 10th-place Indianapolis, the gap is 40 yards per game. That's a big margin to overcome. At the end of the day, the team needs to put points on the board, which they haven't been doing very well. This isn't all QB play, as people have rightfully noted. The team has a lot of issues across the board. The best teams, though, overcome mistakes. KC, for instance, has the 2nd-most drops in the NFL, but they still lead the league in offence. 

But back on QB, an important stat to note about Dak and Dalton is air yards. Dak this year averaged 6.9 air yards per completion. Dalton is just 5.0 yards. In terms of "intended air yards per attempt", Dak sat at 7.9 while Dalton is at 6.9. Dalton, though, hasn't been helped, as he has a league-leading 7.8% drop rate. Roethlisberger and Rodgers are behind him at 6.8%. Dak has a 6.0% rate. 

Dalton actually has had a lot of time to throw. He's only been pressured 15.5% of the time, which is the fifth-best percentage. Only Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Rivers have been pressured less. Dak was pressured on 21.3%, which was about league average. As an aside, Justin Herbert has been pressured the 4th-most in the league at 28.2%, which tells you that he's having an outstanding rookie campaign. 

Edited by TheStarStillShines
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheStarStillShines said:

I don't think having a top-16 offence (17th if using just the last 3 weeks) means a whole lot when the gap between KC (#1) and the Boys is 150 yards per game. Even between 10th-place Indianapolis, the gap is 40 yards per game. That's a big margin to overcome. At the end of the day, the team needs to put points on the board, which they haven't been doing very well. This isn't all QB play, as people have rightfully noted. The team has a lot of issues across the board. The best teams, though, overcome mistakes. KC, for instance, has the 2nd-most drops in the NFL, but they still lead the league in offence. 

But back on QB, an important stat to note about Dak and Dalton is air yards. Dak this year averaged 6.9 air yards per completion. Dalton is just 5.0 yards. In terms of "intended air yards per attempt", Dak sat at 7.9 while Dalton is at 6.9. Dalton, though, hasn't been helped, as he has a league-leading 7.8% drop rate. Roethlisberger and Rodgers are behind him at 6.8%. Dak has a 6.0% rate. 

Dalton actually has had a lot of time to throw. He's only been pressured 15.5% of the time, which is the fifth-best percentage. Only Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Rivers have been pressured less. Dak was pressured on 21.3%, which was about league average. As an aside, Justin Herbert has been pressured the 4th-most in the league at 28.2%, which tells you that he's having an outstanding rookie campaign. 

😳

I agree with just about everything here.

• Like 1

No, a top 16 offense isn’t great by itself, but if we had a top 5 caliber defense, having an above average offense{which we still have without Dak(and should get better with health)}could be a league winner. Obviously we don’t have a good defense and we haven’t allocated resources to accomplish that, but you see how it could work. A roster built in that fashion is more sustainable, and less reliant on the health of just one player. Unless you have a Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning type QB.... this is the best option. It’s your only dance move. 

On 12/7/2020 at 3:06 PM, The_Slamman said:

I never said Cam is better than Dak.  Go ahead and research this one.  We'll wait patiently while you never find it.  Again, I said that Cam at $1M is better than Dak at $31M.  Why?  Because that extra $30M can provide a helluva supporting cast.  

You're literally comparing them, keep insinuating bro youre jumping all over the place. You're saying "Cam is better than Dak for this price tag because Cam won a super bowl years ago"

By that logic, why sign Lamar Jackson to a huge extension? Just bring Flacco back he won a SB in 2013.

50 minutes ago, Drained said:

You're literally comparing them, keep insinuating bro youre jumping all over the place. You're saying "Cam is better than Dak for this price tag because Cam won a super bowl years ago"

By that logic, why sign Lamar Jackson to a huge extension? Just bring Flacco back he won a SB in 2013.

I just want one person to come on and tell me when Jones is going to spend a extra 20 million a year on Defense bringing in pro-bowl level talent. Also when was the last time.   Between Aikman and Romo's big contract I sure didn't see a ton of ''HUGE" spending on D.   

Yes there have been a number of QB's on rookie deals making it to the super bowl over the past 7 years. Flaco won year 5,  Goff lost year 3 and Mahomes won year 3.   Wilson won year 2,

I am not saying you can't win with a rookie QB...   or by signing one as a free agent.

All I am saying is right now people seem to think not signing Dak is some how going to free up huge amounts of money that is then going to be spent on FA's improving the defense. I am saying the odds of that happening are slim to none. 

People also seem to think signing a "vet" QB and drafting a rookie QB to is the answer and not signing Dak.   I say well good luck with that.  1st drafting anything but a defensive starter in the first round would be a huge mistake considering just how BAD our Defense is in all levels...   WE need HIGH QUALITY help at DL, LB, Safety and CB...   that means top three pics need to be on D... and we can hope they actually sign a legitimate starter as well.   

Right now with a legitimate off season and a influx of three new starters on D, plus getting back everyone who is hurt on the OL as well as Signing Dak is the best chance this team has of being competitive and or winning more then 1 play off game.    

IF we do not sign Dak I see this team being 5-11 for a long time...  IMO a lot of mid level players have already given up on the season...   if the rest of the team sees that OWNERSHIP and Management has also "given up" by not resigning Dak then they also are not going to be too interested ...   

YOU THiNK Gallup, Lamb want to sign a second contract with a team that is not WINNING... and seemingly is more interested in saving money then winning by not bringing back a QB who was playing at all pro level.. and instead wants to bring in a QB who was not good enough to start for another TEAM...  or a Rookie who might be JUNK>..

Edited by quiller
forgot Wilson.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

No, a top 16 offense isn’t great by itself, but if we had a top 5 caliber defense, having an above average offense{which we still have without Dak(and should get better with health)}could be a league winner. Obviously we don’t have a good defense and we haven’t allocated resources to accomplish that, but you see how it could work. A roster built in that fashion is more sustainable, and less reliant on the health of just one player. Unless you have a Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning type QB.... this is the best option. It’s your only dance move. 

Agreed. When we look at all the dead cap space on the team, how some of the FA signings on defence have worked out (or not worked out) this year, and how so many players have underperformed plus injuries, maybe the issues go beyond Dak's contract. Every team has experienced injuries, but some are better equipped to handle them. The Chiefs, for instance, have lost 3 starting OL for the year but they continue to chug along. 

1 hour ago, Drained said:

Bro, here’s the thing... I’ve never insinuated anything.  I’ve been very clear that paying Dak $31.4M this year HURT the football team as a whole.  By paying Dak, it caused us to lose 4 starters on defense... two of which were pro bowl players.  I’ve been saying that keeping Dak was not worth the losses.  Sure enough, we went from having an average defense last year to league worst defense this year.  

Cam is an example that teams don’t need to spend $31M on a qb to be successful.  I predicted at the beginning of this season that the patriots would be better paying Cam $1M than the cowboys while paying Dak $31M.  Yes, Dak is better than Cam.  But he’s not $30M better.  

As far as Jackson goes, the ravens will have a tough decision to make.  Personally, I’m not sold on giving Jackson a huge contract.  Granted the ravens are a better organization than the cowboys.  That being said, signing Flacco long term didn’t improve their team, it hurt their team.  I could see the same thing happening the Jackson.

My point is that people need to get it out of their heads that teams can only win with a veteran, high priced QB.  That’s not the case.  We are seeing more and more teams win with QBs on their rookie deal.  Why?  Because teams have more money to support their young QB.

• Like 1

Cowboys Ex: Dak Should Get Out of Dallas

ESPN Analyst Marcus Spears Goes Off Following Jerry Jones Interview, Insisting QB Dak Prescott Should Leave The Dallas Cowboys

"Dalton will be just as good" - We score like half as many points and our offense sucks now.

"Cam beat the ravens so he is amazing" Cam benched by the greatest football mind of our generation. 

"dont pay dak so that jerry can sign other people".. also the same people who hate jerry

This website is so dumb. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 10:55 PM, Matts4313 said:

"Dalton will be just as good" - We score like half as many points and our offense sucks now.

"Cam beat the ravens so he is amazing" Cam benched by the greatest football mind of our generation. 

"dont pay dak so that jerry can sign other people".. also the same people who hate jerry

This website is so dumb. 

With that said... we need to get rid of Dak.

There are plenty of veterans than can hold down the fort. I would go with Stafford or Cam if McCarthy can adjust... if the money is right. If it's 35 vs 15 it might be worth it. Especially since we won't be locked down with other guys as opposed to signing Dak long term. We don't want another Wentz situation on our hands. We can use the resources elsewhere. Hell, even Cousins knows the division well enough.

Unless we have a really deep draft board where they can take need and strength together, it's unlikely you will get any immediate contributor straight out of the draft next year. If the money is 2:1 Dak vs the other guys, I would consider a Drew Brees/SD type of deal. Just let him go. If they can wiggle the money around and get that annual ratio down for the next 2-3 years, then sign him by all means, but I'm inclined to move on so long as our O-line doesn't have career threatening injuries this off season. 

Edited by WheatieMan