Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

7 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I'm sorry am I supposed to be impressed with 2/4 playoff experiences?

What are we? The Jets? Browns? Jags?

I'm a cowboys fan of course I have high expectations

You asked what's Dak's excuse for not making the playoffs when the division always sucks. Well, he's made it twice, and 1 of the other years, the Super Bowl winner was in our division. So, your post was just not reflective of reality, and I called it out.

And your response is, "am I supposed to be impressed by 2/4?" That's moving the goal posts.

I'm not telling you whether or not to be impressed by 2 playoff appearances. I don't find that conversation to be particularly interesting. I entered one conversation, and you are trying to make it a different one.

You can criticize Dak, but do it with arguments that resemble reality.

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

I hope this team makes a decision on Dak, sooner rather than later. Deshaun Watson wants out and Dallas can franchise Dak, then offer him plus a draft pick to the Texans for Watson. 

I think Watson and Dak are in the same general ballpark as players. But, that said, Watson is cheaper and a few years younger. So it would be intriguing. 

59 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think Watson and Dak are in the same general ballpark as players. But, that said, Watson is cheaper and a few years younger. So it would be intriguing. 

If you traded Dak for Watson straight up, I might consider it because Dak's contract will be bigger and they are the same tier of player. I'm certainly not giving up Dak and a pick.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I would have Deshaun higher than Dak. Deshaun is younger. I believe if traded, Deshaun's cap hit would only be $27.5 million as Houston would have to eat all the guarantees/bonus. 

With all that said, I dont think I would give up #10 and Dak for Deshaun. I also dont think Houston would do it. They have lots of holes and very few draft picks. Now you would have to pay Dak plus eat Deshaun's dead cap.

I think its lose/lose.

As far as our team goes, my main takeaway from the Stafford/Watson trade talk and all the other teams that might be changing quarterbacks this offseason (Schefter says it'll be 18 or more) is that it gives Dallas more of an alibi to sneak in Dak's ousting amidst the chaos. I mean hell if there's this much turnover at QB, they might just let him hit unrestricted free agency so as not to make things too hard on themselves with a complicated tag and trade. I hope I'm wrong but I could absolutely see it.

Edited by matt79511
typo

20 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

As far as our team goes, my main takeaway from the Stafford/Watson trade talk and all the other teams that might be changing quarterbacks this offseason (Schefter says it'll be 18 or more) is that it gives Dallas more of an alibi to sneak in Dak's ousting amidst the chaos. I mean hell if there's this much turnover at QB, they might just let him hit unrestricted free agency so as not to make things too hard on themselves with a complicated tag and trade. I hope I'm wrong but I could absolutely see it.

tbh, I wonder how the locker room would handle a Dak trade? Or even if the team continues to drag their feet with re-signing him. I suspect it would not go very well.  

40 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I dont see this as plausible. They will tag and trade him before letting him walk. 

11 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

tbh, I wonder how the locker room would handle a Dak trade? Or even if the team continues to drag their feet with re-signing him. I suspect it would not go very well.  

Yeah, you kinda get the vibe that this is Dak's team and him getting jerked around isnt going to fly. 

25 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

They have dragged their feet and it's not gone well.

idk maybe I'm catastrophizing but this pretentious af article (https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2021/01/27/a-volatile-qb-market-leaves-the-cowboys-with-only-two-options-sign-dak-prescott-soon-or-move-on/) just has me a little shaken. "We know you're all very emotional about Dak but this is a business and there's a salary cap so there's no hard feelings." Also implies the tag will *not* be used a second time and both sides will go their separate ways if a deal is not struck by March 9. It also cites "market volatility" as a valid reason for a split, which coincidentally is being cited elsewhere right now for some major bull****.

The absolute worst scenario for Dallas: it doesn’t trade Prescott, it doesn’t draft a quarterback and allows him to play this season on the franchise tag. Once a player gets to the second franchise tag, he’s gone.

"The absolute worst case scenario is we pay another $30M to our bum QB who can't win a Super Bowl and let him walk. Tag and trades are too complicated for our lazy arses" (the possibility of a tag and trade is never mentioned as this is the only instance of the word "trade" in the entire article)

Moore is Stephen's mouthpiece, so maybe that makes this a bluff, but it pisses me off to no end how they use the media to negotiate while ghosting players and their agents for literal months. It's just hard to believe it's even gotten to this point. Some major, major egos involved.

To me, it's like, if you're the Joneses, so thoroughly out of touch that you think doing free agency from the Bahamas and drafting from your yacht is conducive to football success, is it such a stretch to believe that you're actually geniuses for landing consecutive franchise QBs outside of the first three rounds of the draft? I can't shake the feeling that that's why we're here at all. They just think Dak isn't all that and they can do better than him despite legitimate evidence to the contrary.

Edited by matt79511

10 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

They have dragged their feet and it's not gone well.

idk maybe I'm catastrophizing but this pretentious af article (https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2021/01/27/a-volatile-qb-market-leaves-the-cowboys-with-only-two-options-sign-dak-prescott-soon-or-move-on/) just has me a little shaken. "We know you're all very emotional about Dak but this is a business and there's a salary cap so there's no hard feelings." Also implies the tag will *not* be used a second time and both sides will go their separate ways if a deal is not struck by March 9. It also cites "market volatility" as a valid reason for a split, which coincidentally is being cited elsewhere right now for some major bull****.

"The absolute worst case scenario is we pay another $30M to our bum QB who can't win a Super Bowl and let him walk. Tag and trades are too complicated for our lazy arses" (the possibility of a tag and trade is never mentioned as this is the only instance of the word "trade" in the entire article)

Moore is Stephen's mouthpiece, so maybe that makes this a bluff, but it pisses me off to no end how they use the media to negotiate while ghosting players and their agents for literal months. It's just hard to believe it's even gotten to this point. Some major, major egos involved.

To me, it's like, if you're the Joneses, so thoroughly out of touch that you think doing free agency from the Bahamas and drafting from your yacht is conducive to football success, is it such a stretch to believe that you're actually geniuses for landing consecutive franchise QBs outside of the first three rounds of the draft? I can't shake the feeling that that's why we're here at all. They just think Dak isn't all that and they can do better than him despite legitimate evidence to the contrary.

Our offensive production went down 11 points a game after Dak was injured. *11*! Thats huge. And our schedule got easier as well. If the Jones' dont fix this then we should all be prepared for a decade of sucking.

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Our offensive production went down 11 points a game after Dak was injured. *11*! Thats huge. And our schedule got easier as well. If the Jones' dont fix this then we should all be prepared for a decade of sucking.

I guess that's my overall point. I am prepared for multiple decades of sucking. In, like, most facets of life. lol

Reading between the lines, it sure seems like Old Jer needs to seize control here to get the deal done as Stephen has been nickel and diming to our continual detriment. So basically, we're screwed regardless.

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Good. A trade like this would give these Cowboys players a reality check that they need from their "holier than thou" attitude. Just because we overpaid for Lawrence, Zeke and Cooper doesn't mean that they have to with Dak. Either get with the program with Watson or get fined/cut. It's a tough stance, but a organizational and culture change needs to happen. I feel like these players think they have it made in Dallas. 

Only in Dallas can a player:

1. Hold out all of TC for a new contract (while still under one), not pay any fines and underperform once given the new contract.

2. Openly admit to the media that you don't go full speed on every play and is still a starter on gameday.

3. Bypass what your Head Coach says or does by going to talk to Jerry Jones (the GM & Owner). 

4. Continually do a celebration for making one play while down multiple scores. 

5. Get coddled by your owner when you underperform for multiple games.

Edited by Tony7188

6 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Good. A trade like this would give these Cowboys players a reality check that they need from their "holier than thou" attitude. Just because we overpaid for Lawrence, Zeke and Cooper doesn't mean that they have to with Dak. Either get with the program with Watson or get fined/cut. It's a tough stance, but a organizational and change needs to happen. I feel like these players think they have it made in Dallas. 

Only in Dallas can a player:

1. Hold out all of TC for a new contract (while still under one), not pay any fines and underperform once given the new contract.

2. Openly admit to the media that you don't go full speed on every play and still is a starter on gameday.

3. Bypass what your Head Coach says or does by going to talk to Jerry Jones. 

4. Continually do a celebration for making one play while down multiple scores. 

Dak is one of very few guys on this team that doesn't pull **** like that. His refusal to hold out in 2019 or '20 is probably the single biggest reason he hasn't received an extension.

I was trying to say above that, yeah, maybe letting Dak hit UFA as early as this offseason would constitute a bizarre attempt by the Joneses to "send a message" to all the malcontents and general disappointments in our locker room. It would obviously backfire because the sad reality is they're the ones who've fostered this circus-like atmosphere.