Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

@Matts4313 I agree, players dont need a say in who the coach or GM should be.

If you ask them for their input, you hire a consulting firm and pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to recommend someone, then go in a completely different direction because your VP of Operations with no football experience (at least to my knowledge) changes the owner's mind, then I think DeShaun has every right to ask for a trade.

I dont think they did at GM. They tried to hire Nick last year but Kraft and BillyB threatened tampering charges. 

As for Easterby, hes been with the NFL for 16 years I think. In various roles from interning/assistant all the way to his current role. Does that make him qualified? He seems incompetent to me, so no. But the accusation that he has no experience would be silly in my opinion. Especially since Belichick kept him on staff for like a decade.  You have to have learned... something.

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Yes, he did sign a contract extension. However no one knows the conversations that were had at that time. Did DeShaun keep up his end? Did the organization keep up theirs?

• Watson knew that they just traded Hopkins.
  • Watson knew that Easterby was gaining power and some players hated him.
  • Watson knew BoB was likely to be fired soon.
  • Watson knew that they had no draft capital.
  • Watson knew the young talent wasnt there.
  • So if Watson couldnt read the tea leaves, he is an idiot. Everyone else knew things were bleak.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Who ever trades for Watson would only owe like $28m/yr for the next 5 years.

This is true.  Dallas would not be on the hook for Houston’s sb, etc.  trading for staffers would only cost about $22M per year for 2 years.

my preference would still be to keep Dak on a team friendly deal.  If that doesn’t happen, I think the team has to explore trade options.  I think Watson could thrive in Dallas but I don’t love the price to get him... but if was Dak and 1 first round pick, I’m sold.  

Similarly, a trade for stafford for Dak would probably net us at least a first round pick.  

I also think we could fleece the bears, patriots, colts for Dak.  

21 hours ago, Matts4313 said:
  • Watson knew that they just traded Hopkins.
  • Watson knew that Easterby was gaining power and some players hated him.
  • Watson knew BoB was likely to be fired soon.
  • Watson knew that they had no draft capital.
  • Watson knew the young talent wasnt there.
  • So if Watson couldnt read the tea leaves, he is an idiot. Everyone else knew things were bleak.

So you’re saying DW seen dollar signs and everything else got shoved aside. That’s kinda what I’ve been thinking with the whole ordeal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

So you’re saying DW seen dollar signs and everything else got shoved aside. That’s kinda what I’ve been thinking with the whole ordeal.

He was told he'd have input on the coaching and GM decisions by the owner. Then the owner went and didn't even interview any of the guys Watson suggested. 

He's the team leader, he just signed a multi-year deal, he's the face of your franchise - and you go and tell him one thing and then do another.

Yeah, I'd be kinda upset as well. Yes, he signed the contract - because he loves the area and does a lot of good work in the community. He signed it even after they essentially traded away his #1 weapon for nothing, traded away a good bit of draft capital,  and are likely moving on from their future Hall of Fame player in Watt. Yet, through all that, he stuck with the franchise. 

He feels betrayed, and I get it. I'd be pretty upset too. 

WOW....  giving up TWO first round pics to get a QB is a high price,  Staffard is a better QB but that is still a high price.  Yes love the 1st round pics, but I would not want GOFF as our QB...  I don't see Goff as much a upgrade over Dalton.  We also could not afford even 1 first round pic to get Stafford let alone 2. 

The thing if we think this deal has any bearing on our situation with Dak, we are more like the RAMS in any deal then  DET.  I can't imagine any team trading for Dak, giving up two 1st round pics then turning around and paying him 40 mil a year for the next 4,, .  Yes Rams are paying 40 M plus but its over two years and frankly QB is the weak part of the RAMS roster. This is rolling the dice to be all in NEXT TWO years.   and DET gets Goff at a cheap 27 M a year next 4 and 2 extra 1st round pics..   I see DET trading 1 of those pics to move up and try and get a QB this summer.  

NE is the closest team I can see who might be interested in this (good roster needs QB) but please want no part of CAM.   Maybe Pittsburg would be willing to give up a 1st and 3rd and Big Ben ? The other problem is Dak is not "signed". 

12 hours ago, quiller said:

WOW....  giving up TWO first round pics to get a QB is a high price,  Staffard is a better QB but that is still a high price.  Yes love the 1st round pics, but I would not want GOFF as our QB...  I don't see Goff as much a upgrade over Dalton.  We also could not afford even 1 first round pic to get Stafford let alone 2. 

Stafford is a better QB than who? Not Dak, if thats what you are implying. 

The thing if we think this deal has any bearing on our situation with Dak, we are more like the RAMS in any deal then  DET.  I can't imagine any team trading for Dak, giving up two 1st round pics then turning around and paying him 40 mil a year for the next 4,, .  Yes Rams are paying 40 M plus but its over two years and frankly QB is the weak part of the RAMS roster. This is rolling the dice to be all in NEXT TWO years.   and DET gets Goff at a cheap 27 M a year next 4 and 2 extra 1st round pics..   I see DET trading 1 of those pics to move up and try and get a QB this summer.  

Yeah, thats the reason Detroit got so much. Staffords remailing deal is like $20m/yr, but the lions are on the hook for much more of Goffs dea.

Goff had negative value, it appears.

NE is the closest team I can see who might be interested in this (good roster needs QB) but please want no part of CAM.   Maybe Pittsburg would be willing to give up a 1st and 3rd and Big Ben ? The other problem is Dak is not "signed". 

Cam isnt under contract.

PIT has no money. Big Ben actually even came out and said "I dont care about money for the 2021 season". The league wont let him play for free, but its going to be cheap if he comes back.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/1/25/22246148/four-reasons-why-the-cowboys-front-office-is-handling-the-dak-prescott-contract-situation-correctly

Dak Prescott enters the new season as the top ranked free agent in the league and for good reason. During his last two years, which consists of just 21 games due to his injury-shortened 2020 season, Prescott has helped the Cowboys offense rack up 9,344 total yards. That’s tops in the league during that time window.

^^^ The article is about his contract. Its a good read. 

On 2/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, plan9misfit said:

He’s just another talking head who’s trying to make a name for himself by saying something outlandish and hoping he’s right so he can take the credit for saying it first.

Oh so he’s Ian CrapReport