Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

22 hours ago, JWingate said:

Is this really a hot button topic. We have a top 5-8 QB in this league. Pay the man the money and lets compete.

It’s not that simple when he wants $40M, hasn’t earned it, and is in a year and when the salary cap is going down. When a QB (or any player, for that matter) consumes 22-25% of the cap, it makes it very difficult to surround him with talent.

We were 2-3 with him and then went 4-7 without him. Honestly, how is that any different? 

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

It’s not that simple when he wants $40M, hasn’t earned it, and is in a year and when the salary cap is going down. When a QB (or any player, for that matter) consumes 22-25% of the cap, it makes it very difficult to surround him with talent.

We were 2-3 with him and then went 4-7 without him. Honestly, how is that any different? 

He hasn’t earned his contract? If you extended his numbers through out the entire league year he would have been MVP. It also took an historically bad defense to make us that record. 

Who are you bringing in that will help us win? Dak is the guy and the future. I think you put too much care into the cap there is always a way around it.

56 minutes ago, JWingate said:

He hasn’t earned his contract? If you extended his numbers through out the entire league year he would have been MVP. It also took an historically bad defense to make us that record. 

Who are you bringing in that will help us win? Dak is the guy and the future. I think you put too much care into the cap there is always a way around it.

No, he hasn’t earned it. Most of his numbers were garbage time stats; just empty calories. Nearly every analyst (which includes former players) has pointed that out. Multiple times. One doesn’t post mediocre win-loss records with stats like that unless there’s something fundamentally wrong with the QB as well as the rest of the team. Look no further than Jameis Winston and his 5000 yard, 30 TD season in 2019. Even with the turnovers, why discount the other numbers? Because the numbers don’t tell the entire story. His erratic play led to impressive fantasy numbers but a 7-9 record. We went 8-8 in 2019 and were 2-3 in 2020 due to inconsistent QB play and because we crapped the bed both offensively and defensively every time it mattered. It wasn’t just the defense that failed. 

The games showed that the Cowboys’ offense was streaky, inconsistent, and damn near invisible 1) in the 2nd and 3rd quarters; and 2) against good teams. That doesn’t scream “pay the QB $40M” to me. That screams “replace the QB” to me.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

1) His win-loss record is mediocre

A) Um, no it’s actually been pretty good

2) I can’t believe you think wins are a QB stat

B) Ok, here’s all these other stats to show he’s a legit top-10 QB.

3) But he’s not a winner 

Rinse and repeat. Into eternity. Until the sun blows up.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

No, he hasn’t earned it. Most of his numbers were garbage time stats; just empty calories. Nearly every analyst (which includes former players) has pointed that out. Multiple times. One doesn’t post mediocre win-loss records with stats like that unless there’s something fundamentally wrong with the QB as well as the rest of the team. Look no further than Jameis Winston and his 5000 yard, 30 TD season in 2019. Even with the turnovers, why discount the other numbers? Because the numbers don’t tell the entire story. His erratic play led to impressive fantasy numbers but a 7-9 record. We went 8-8 in 2019 and were 2-3 in 2020 due to inconsistent QB play and because we crapped the bed both offensively and defensively every time it mattered. It wasn’t just the defense that failed. 

The games showed that the Cowboys’ offense was streaky, inconsistent, and damn near invisible 1) in the 2nd and 3rd quarters; and 2) against good teams. That doesn’t scream “pay the QB $40M” to me. That screams “replace the QB” to me.

They do post mediocre win-loss records with those stats if the defense is historically bad. Again, he is a top 5-8 QB in this league out of 32 find me a better QB and for cheaper and I will be willing to do it, but you wont be able to.

7 minutes ago, JWingate said:

They do post mediocre win-loss records with those stats if the defense is historically bad. Again, he is a top 5-8 QB in this league out of 32 find me a better QB and for cheaper and I will be willing to do it, but you wont be able to.

Tom Brady was available last year. He’s better and cheaper.

18 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

funny....  hey lets see if Brees wants to come here also...  also.. who wins...

TB with Dak   or    Dallas with Brady....    

28 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Tom Brady wasn't even looking at Dallas. He wanted to go to a ready to win team that he could be the difference. He only left the Patriots because he knew they went all in for him the last few years and now they were going to rebuild. Give me someone available in this years off season that you would be comfortable with having over Dak Prescott. 

4 minutes ago, JWingate said:

Tom Brady wasn't even looking at Dallas. He wanted to go to a ready to win team that he could be the difference. He only left the Patriots because he knew they went all in for him the last few years and now they were going to rebuild. Give me someone available in this years off season that you would be comfortable with having over Dak Prescott. 

You asked for a QB who was better and cheaper. I gave you one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JWingate said:

He is not a player in this off season that is cheaper. I am not looking in the past I am looking in the future.

And I’m not going to handicap the entire team by sinking $40M into a guy who isn’t worth that investment, regardless of timeframe. And clearly, neither is the front office. There’s no future in flushing nearly 25% of your cap away on a guy who doesn’t win. 

• Like 1

Just now, plan9misfit said:

And I’m not going to handicap the entire team by sinking $40M into a guy who isn’t worth that investment, regardless of timeframe. And clearly, neither is the front office. There’s no future in flushing nearly 25% of your cap away on a guy who doesn’t win. 

Ok so that tells me you don't have an answer. You can say don't spend the money, but you can't say what you would do to solidify the most important position on the team. There isn't a player out there you can get cheaper and plays better and there is a reason for that. 

1 minute ago, JWingate said:

Ok so that tells me you don't have an answer. You can say don't spend the money, but you can't say what you would do to solidify the most important position on the team. There isn't a player out there you can get cheaper and plays better and there is a reason for that. 

I’d draft a QB and look at possibilities of a tag and trade. 

Just now, plan9misfit said:

I’d draft a QB and look at possibilities of a tag and trade. 

Ok..Drafting a QB. So are you willing to go up to top 5 to get a Zach Wilson or Justin Fields or are you drafting a Kyle Trask, Trey Lance, Mac Jones? There is a team that went to the Super bowl, but lost most likely because of injuries and "off the field" issues that surrounded the team during Super Bowl week. They paid their QB the most money in American Sports history. The cap isn't as hard as you expect it to be and I don't believe this year the NFL is going to tell 3/4 of the league sorry covid happen figure out your rosters because there isn't any money. I see them going to an uncapped year before doing that.