Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You might think it’s logical that he got hurt and that puts him in a worse negotiating position than what he had a year ago. But that’s not the entire picture.

The Cowboys are now one year away from having their franchise QB walk out of the door and getting nothing in exchange, and Dak is one year away from having a dozen teams competing for his services and a salary cap primed to explode. That gives him a ton of power. 

The Cowboys have absolutely botched this, and Dak, very likely, has set himself up to maximize his career earning.

His injury actually gives him more leverage. Jerry and Stephen botched this royally. While I’m not a fan of his game, a smart GM would’ve signed him 2 years ago because he would’ve been paid a contract value indicative of the mediocre player he is. Now? He’d be the second highest player in the league. I honestly don’t see any way this ends differently than a tag and trade or he walks like Kirk Cousins did from Washington.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You might think it’s logical that he got hurt and that puts him in a worse negotiating position than what he had a year ago. But that’s not the entire picture.

The Cowboys are now one year away from having their franchise QB walk out of the door and getting nothing in exchange, and Dak is one year away from having a dozen teams competing for his services and a salary cap primed to explode. That gives him a ton of power. 

The Cowboys have absolutely botched this, and Dak, very likely, has set himself up to maximize his career earning.

If it gets to that I'm sure both sides will come to agreement to have Dak sign the tender to get him traded to the team of his choice. Dallas would then get compensated. 

5 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

His injury actually gives him more leverage. Jerry and Stephen botched this royally. While I’m not a fan of his game, a smart GM would’ve signed him 2 years ago because he would’ve been paid a contract value indicative of the mediocre player he is. Now? He’d be the second highest player in the league. I honestly don’t see any way this ends differently than a tag and trade or he walks like Kirk Cousins did from Washington.

I do agree they should have gave him an extension after year 2. 

4 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

If it gets to that I'm sure both sides will come to agreement to have Dak sign the tender to get him traded to the team of his choice. Dallas would then get compensated. 

In which case, Dak gets a humongous contract from his new team, therefor making his decision not to sign last year... yep, you guessed it... a good business decision.

4 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

I do agree they should have gave him an extension after year 2. 

You are literally not allowed to redo a player’s rookie contract until after their 3rd season. 

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

In which case, Dak gets a humongous contract from his new team, therefor making his decision not to sign last year... yep, you guessed it... a good business decision.

You are literally not allowed to redo a player’s rookie contract until after their 3rd season. 

Dak is getting paid no matter what, albeit from the Cowboys or some other team. No matter how you spin it him not signing last year could of been detrimental for him if his injury had been career ending or if his injury leads to a decline in play. Sure it's a good business decision for Dak, it turned out good for him. Not so much to whatever team pays him. They still have that what if lingering

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I read the information I looked up on google too fast. Undrafted players can extend after year 2. But yes you are correct Dak would of needed to wait until year 3. 

You didnt let me finish though. I said after year 2 since it takes Dak an the Boys a full years time to come around on agreeable terms for a contract it seems lol

48 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Sure it's a good business decision for Dak, it turned out good for him.

I can’t keep the thread of what point you are trying to make. You literally have been arguing that we should blame Dak because he made a bad business decision for himself that has screwed up everything, including himself. See:

On 3/5/2021 at 12:34 AM, buddy_z34 said:

Dak lost his leverage. I dont care what every sports analysts says on TV, I see no logical explanation to where anyone can change my mind on that.

And...

21 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

It's a bad business decision is what I'm trying to say. 

So, I don’t know. But it seems that we are now in agreement that Dak and his agent have likely set him up to maximize his career earning potential.

46 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

You didnt let me finish though.

Sorry to have... interrupted you mid-post...?

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

Dak can still lose his leverage but still have made a good business decision in the long run. He was going to get paid. Dallas is going to pony up 40 million a year or some other team will. Whatever decision Dak made or makes doesnt matter. The guy plays THE premium position in all of sports. Hes getting his no matter what. Some team willing to roll the dice on a QB coming off a major injury will pay him the 40 million he wants. The leverage he lost was demanding any more money from Dallas when he didnt sign last year an rolled his ankle 180 degrees the other way. 

Dak in essence said I'm better than what you're offering me so I refuse to sign. The guy got injured. No way in hell you can tell me hes better than last year?? That's exactly what he is saying by asking for Mahomes money

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

Dak can still lose his leverage but still have made a good business decision in the long run. He was going to get paid. Dallas is going to pony up 40 million a year or some other team will. Whatever decision Dak made or makes doesnt matter. The guy plays THE premium position in all of sports. Hes getting his no matter what. Some team willing to roll the dice on a QB coming off a major injury will pay him the 40 million he wants. The leverage he lost was demanding any more money from Dallas when he didnt sign last year an rolled his ankle 180 degrees the other way. 

Dak in essence said I'm better than what you're offering me so I refuse to sign. The guy got injured. No way in hell you can tell me hes better than last year?? That's exactly what he is saying by asking for Mahomes money

Again, no one is telling you he’s better than last year. They are telling you he has more leverage this year to demand a bigger contract than he did last offseason, due to being 1 year away from unrestricted free agency. 

And if you agree with the conclusion that he’s almost certain to end up with a higher payday than the Cowboys were willing to give him last year, then I don’t understand why you disagree with that premise.

55 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Deadlines make deals. Got about 30 hrs to get something done. I have zero confidence anything gets done.

2 points on this:

• Sounds like the deadline might get pushed because they haven't set the salary cap yet, haha
  • Even if they do tag him, they can continue to negotiate a deal. Tagging him doesn't really functionally change anything, so the parties might not view this as a hard deadline, anyway.

Well in around 30 I guess it’s tag time. Odd slim to none a deal has been done.  Does having him work out at the ranch help things any.  While I see the point the injury gave Dak leverage I also can see the injury also cost him getting a deal done as Jones is a idiot and will use any reason to avoid making decisions.  
        How many think the 5 year 2 years voidable  contract where he gets 120 guaranteed is a possibility.   That could fit both sides.  Dak can get his three year window to get a new contract and gets paid his 40 M.  The team gets a more reasonable cap hit this year and next and three more years to think and renegotiate before the huge money of the last two years plays in.  Still that would leave huge money the final two in the 50 -60 M if we don’t restructure first and a cap hit of around 24 M a year for two years in dead money if those years are voided.  
    To me this is the best option. This also makes it easier to keep Gallup lamb and Coop the next two years then let Coop and his insane contract go by 2024. We also could dump Zeke by then easily enough.   The only other large contracts on the book beside Coop and Zeke for 2024 are Jaylon, L Collins and Jack Martin.  High odds Martin is the only one left of those.  I would also add DLaw as his will most likely be restructured this off season.  By then only other new “large” would be Diggs Lamb and Gallup.  And any new FA’s.