Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

39 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I'm not blaming Dak for the record.   You're right D and ST had the lions share of failure.   I will say though, that Dak doesn't want to be paid as a top 10-15 qb.  He wants to be paid as a top 3+ qb.    That's fine, but top 3 qb's can carry their team to the playoffs with a mediocre to bad D.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm

41 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I'm not blaming Dak for the record.   You're right D and ST had the lions share of failure.   I will say though, that Dak doesn't want to be paid as a top 10-15 qb.  He wants to be paid as a top 3+ qb.    That's fine, but top 3 qb's can carry their team to the playoffs with a mediocre to bad D.  

I don't know man. I think a lot of other variables come into play and need to fall in place for that to happen. It just wasn't going to happen in Dallas especially with the coaching drama from the season. Not just the ST/D.

3 hours ago, Northland said:

30 points lost to missed field goals

Horrible special teams units

A defense that forced only 17 turnovers.

How people want to blame Dak and the offense for last year's debacle is beyond me.

Him not showing up against top opponents until very late in games hurt, but DREADFUL special teams and horrible playcalling and a lack of effort on defense were much bigger problems.

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

I don't know man. I think a lot of other variables come into play and need to fall in place for that to happen. It just wasn't going to happen in Dallas especially with the coaching drama from the season. Not just the ST/D.

You both made salient points. Garrett being an obvious progress stopper as a head coach exacerbated everyone’s problems.

5 hours ago, Northland said:

30 points lost to missed field goals

Horrible special teams units

A defense that forced only 17 turnovers.

How people want to blame Dak and the offense for last year's debacle is beyond me.

It's not blaming Dak for last year at his last years salary.

It's that we are about to pay Dak like we don't NEED a good defense and ST. Obviously, as you say, that's not close to true.

Like we might be about to lose a VERY good to elite CB. And an edge rusher that had 11.5 sacks last year because we have to pay our QB and a WR.

You guys talk out of both sides of your mouths.

"Dak was great but our defense sucked so we sucked too. We should let the few good players we have on defense walk, so we can sign Dak at all costs." 

I personally think we can sign them all, but I also believe that is wishful thinking.

• Like 3

I know us nerds are excited about our new coaching staff, but I have a hard time seeing that our roster talent on defense in 2020 will be > 2019 regardless of who is likely to be there at 17, If we lose one of Quinn or Jones. Especially if we lose both. Which is a real possibility.

I got a semi for Espensa and Kinlaw but I doubt either by themselves cover for a loss of Quinn and Jones.

18 minutes ago, Northland said:

Realistically if you were Dak or Dak's agent what would you be seeking from the Cowboys contract wise?

I have a terrible feeling that "I cant ask for those riches" Dak has ate the cheese. He/his agent are probably not looking to do us any favors. $35M+ seems like a possibility; and I hate that. 

8 hours ago, Northland said:

Realistically if you were Dak or Dak's agent what would you be seeking from the Cowboys contract wise?

Every GD Penny I could get.

But I'm not Dak. I'm not a true leader. I'm not the epitome of team player. I'm not the guy the roster would run through a brick wall for. Dak is.

He should take a team friendly deal. How would you feel if you were Quinn, Byron, la'el, Jaylon, Amari, Zack Martin, Tyron, even the over paid Zeke...    ...seeing Dak balk at an AAV of 35 when people call you overpaid at 10

Edited by DaBoys

On 2020-02-14 at 9:54 AM, Matts4313 said:

I have a terrible feeling that "I cant ask for those riches" Dak has ate the cheese. He/his agent are probably not looking to do us any favors. $35M+ seems like a possibility; and I hate that. 

Wait, you hate that?

I've been under the impression that you want Dak to be the highest paid QB of all time so you can hang a poster on your wall and validate all your fancy stats?

What do YOU want Dak to make, what do you think he deserves? If you're the GM, what is your bottom line offer?

34 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Wait, you hate that?

I've been under the impression that you want Dak to be the highest paid QB of all time so you can hang a poster on your wall and validate all your fancy stats?

What do YOU want Dak to make, what do you think he deserves? If you're the GM, what is your bottom line offer?

I was under the impression you say a lot of dumb things. I think any thing above Wilson is unreasonable. I also don't think we have any choice but to pay it. 

We can afford to extend Dak, bring back Byron and Amari and Quinn and still have money to add a few key pieces in FA - if the front office wants to. That’s where this all lies. What they want to do, because the money isn’t a problem.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, D82 said:

We can afford to extend Dak, bring back Byron and Amari and Quinn and still have money to add a few key pieces in FA - if the front office wants to. That’s where this all lies. What they want to do, because the money isn’t a problem.

Which is why I don’t believe they have confidence in him long term. We could’ve gotten this deal done a year ago and chose to wait.

33 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Which is why I don’t believe they have confidence in him long term. We could’ve gotten this deal done a year ago and chose to wait.

Which, to me, is surprising if that’s the case. Everything they’ve done says to me they like Dak and want him here.