Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

12 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Material assets as in?? Daltons start to his career in terms of win loss record is on par with Daks. Hell maybe even a game or two better. Both had horrible coaches. But both had talent around them on offense. They're more comparable than you think. 

They finished 8-1 because of Rodgers or do you not remember his ridiculous close out to that season throwing hail Mary's and carrying the team on his back down the stretch. He willed them to victory. 

Literally everything. Net worth of ownership, quality of facilities. Access to the best doctors, analytics teams. Ability to attract free agents through your incredible marketability (plus no state income tax) That the most valuable franchise in sports has 0 conference title game appearances in over two decades is laughable, and when you look at the grander picture of futility, pinning anything on the QB going into Year 5 is a pretty narrow outlook.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Literally everything. Net worth of ownership, quality of facilities. Access to the best doctors, analytics teams. Ability to attract free agents through your incredible marketability (plus no state income tax) That the most valuable franchise in sports has 0 conference title game appearances in over two decades is laughable, and when you look at the grander picture of futility, pinning anything on the QB going into Year 5 is a pretty narrow outlook.

The Bengals and Cowboys are in the same boat. Just take away ownership net worth (which has nothing to do with it in terms of building up a team. Jerry cant use his own money), take away state tax, marketability and what do you have? 2 franchises that havent won or been to a conference championship let alone a superbowl in over 2 decades. Again dude they're a lot closer in terms of winning than you realize

Just now, buddy_z34 said:

The Bengals and Cowboys are in the same boat. Just take away ownership net worth (which has nothing to do with it in terms of building up a team. Jerry cant use his own money), take away state tax, marketability and what do you have? 2 franchises that havent won or been to a conference championship let alone a superbowl in over 2 decades. Again dude they're a lot closer in terms of winning than you realize

... I realize how close they are in terms of winning. I'm saying that's incredibly freaking damning of the Cowboys and shows how little damage Dak's contract can do in the grand scheme of things. What's the worst he can do, not win the Super Bowl? Usually not make the playoffs? Used to it. I'll take those risks over betting on our FO, who completely lucked into him and Romo, to find and develop someone better

I guess these are also arguments for letting Dak leave, but I find that people just don't like seeing professional athletes get paid in general, and it's pretty thinly veiled

2 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Hope to continue our back and forth chatter later. Just remember when it comes to sports it's all objective. Nobody is ever wrong or right unless you're dealing with only win loss records. 

I think you mean subjective. And you are subjectively wrong - because I am always right.

2 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Uhhhh.... Dude the Bengals dont even have a scouting department. But they had a fantastic coaching staff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001112799/article/nfls-top-10-offenses-chiefs-ravens-pulling-away-from-pack

Leading the league's most efficient offense by Football Outsiders' metrics through the first half of the 2019 season, Prescott played well enough to keep his name on the periphery of the MVP discussion until the Thanksgiving debacle versus Buffalo. Should the franchise quarterback go down with an injury, the surrounding talent is strong enough to elevate newfound backup Dalton to the first postseason victory of his career.

5 years at 33 would be fair I guess. Although I don’t always think what’s fair is good for business. Dak wants 4 years at 33 so he can cash in again at 30 and still able to sign long term. I suppose that’s fair as well, but better for Dak. 

What’s our cap space if Dak signs the tag?

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

5 years at 33 would be fair I guess. Although I don’t always think what’s fair is good for business. Dak wants 4 years at 33 so he can cash in again at 30 and still able to sign long term. I suppose that’s fair as well, but better for Dak. 

What’s our cap space if Dak signs the tag?

OTC has him listed at $31.5MM right now, with our available cap at $9.61MM. 

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

You mean if we basically cut him? Somewhere around $40MM, I guess. 

If he holds out LeVeon Bell style and we at least try Dalton for a game or two... 

Can he sign the tag and not report?

Edited by DaBoys
Tag sorry

17 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If he holds out LeVeon Bell style and we at least try Dalton for a game or two... 

Can he sign the tag and not report?

I don't think we ever see a situation like that again. Certainly not at any position besides RB. Bell knew the Steelers were about to go 2014 DeMarco Murray on him, give him 500 touches and effectively end his career. Dak's not turning down $2M/week