Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

19 minutes ago, Northland said:

You're a Cowboys fan.  You should be thrilled with being competitive.

See this is my thing. I get the fixation on QB cap percentages with all the recent trends, but, really, what's the endgame here?

*You* might be able to go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl 58-0 in Madden after replacing Dak with another mid-round QB and splurging the $30M in savings on defense. But here in reality, Dak has been the QB for 4 of 24 straight years that did not end in a Final Four appearance for the Dallas Cowboys

So cry all you want. Who knows, maybe we do take the Cousins approach and let him go after two tags, and the he goes and disappoints some other team on a market-setting three year deal. All that would really show is how comparable we are to the Redskins

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

See this is my thing. I get the fixation on QB cap percentages with all the recent trends, but, really, what's the endgame here?

*You* might be able to go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl 58-0 in Madden after replacing Dak with another mid-round QB and splurging the $30M in savings on defense. But here in reality, Dak has been the QB for 4 of 24 straight years that did not end in a Final Four appearance for the Dallas Cowboys

So cry all you want. Who knows, maybe we do take the Cousins approach and let him go after two tags, and the he goes and disappoints some other team on a market-setting three year deal. All that would really show is how comparable we are to the Redskins

Your Redskins comparison was kind of my point too.

1 minute ago, CAPJ said:

@Matts4313

Which QB do you have ranked over Dak for one season?

Im assuming you mean for 2020?

Wilson

Mahomes

Brees (assuming his body isnt broken)

Brady (assuming his body isnt broken)

Rodgers (assuming his body isnt broken)

Watson

Jackson

1 minute ago, CAPJ said:

Which QBs would you want to have over Dak for the next 3 years?

Wilson

Mahomes

Watson (assuming his body isnt broken)

Jackson (assuming his body isnt broken)

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Im assuming you mean for 2020?

Wilson

Mahomes

Brees (assuming his body isnt broken)

Brady (assuming his body isnt broken)

Rodgers (assuming his body isnt broken)

Watson

Jackson

Wilson

Mahomes

Watson (assuming his body isnt broken)

Jackson (assuming his body isnt broken)

Yes sir I meant for 2020.

Assuming health, the only additional  I would take over Dak for this year would be Stafford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

And Goff was only $10m this year. So you cant blame the contract. Just Saying. 

And Dak has only cost us 5 million total since 2016. I wonder how paying him 35 million is going to magically put us over the edge, is this like Popeye's spinach and he's just to become superhuman? I mean if Dak is already the greatest ever and yet we have still failed to get anywhere with him, what good is giving him 35 million going to do?

I would like this one explained. If the results have been much of the same when we have made out like a bandit with him on the roster for 4 years and yet have diddly to show for it, and now it's going to limit roster spots/contracts by upwards to what, 20M per year at best. How exactly do we build around that if we haven't been able to do it with the 3 years we've already had with arguably the best scouting department in the NFL along with such a great coach that JG was?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

The Redskins flipped to Alex Smith, which was working until he had a gruesome injury that set them back at quarterback to where they are today

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

And Dak has only cost us 5 million total since 2016. I wonder how paying him 35 million is going to magically put us over the edge, is this like Popeye's spinach and he's just to become superhuman? I mean if Dak is already the greatest ever and yet we have still failed to get anywhere with him, what good is giving him 35 million going to do?

1. Read the tweets that @D82 posted.

2. Because he has "eaten spinach" every season and has improved dramatically.

3. Ive recently learned this: *COACHING HELD BACK EVERY OTHER SINGLE PLAYER ON THE TEAM* So now that those schmucks can live up to their potential, we should be fine. 

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I would like this one explained. If the results have been much of the same when we have made out like a bandit with him on the roster for 4 years and yet have diddly to show for it, and now it's going to limit roster spots/contracts by upwards to what, 20M per year at best. How exactly do we build around that if we haven't been able to do it with the 3 years we've already had with arguably the best scouting department in the NFL along with such a great coach that JG was?

The same way literally 60-75% of championship/superbowl caliber teams have the last 25 years. Its amazing, teams seem to figure it out. You wanna know why? Managing the cap is 100x's easier than finding another top 10 QB.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

1. Read the tweets that @D82 posted.

2. Because he has "eaten spinach" every season and has improved dramatically.

3. Ive recently learned this: *COACHING HELD BACK EVERY OTHER SINGLE PLAYER ON THE TEAM* So now that those schmucks can live up to their potential, we should be fine. 

The same way literally 60-75% of championship/superbowl caliber teams have the last 25 years. Its amazing, teams seem to figure it out. You wanna know why? Managing the cap is 100x's easier than finding another top 10 QB.  

This is false because teams haven't "Built" around a Top Paid QB and had success winning the Superbowl

They either got there before they paid him (Wilson, Flacco, Mahomes, Wentz/Foles, or he was the Final piece to an already loaded roster (Manning) or he was Tom Brady on an under market contract with the greatest roster builder of all time (Belichick)

Then you got the losers on cheap deals like, Goff and Kaepernick, 

The teams that had a Top Paid QB that made it there, were 1 and dones like the Falcons, Panthers. Started losing pieces as soon as they made it the 1 time and sunk down to mediocrity

So unless you think the 49ers built around JimmyG and not their vastly underpaid defence, you have to go to Eli Manning (who we all know got it done with their defensive front) or 10 years  back to Rodgers/Roethlisberger (and I have no idea where they were in terms of money)

Building around Top paid QB's gets you a good record, but it doesn't get you Superbowls

The window is when they are on the cheap, You luck into one of them and ride them until you have to pay them. Once you do, you're up against the next team that lucked into their "on the cheap" QB

Edited by TheGame316