Jump to content
WizardHawk

Prescott is seeking a lot of money, but not $40m/yr. Probably gonna be more like $35-36m/yr

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is not true. This happened one time in recent history. Last year. Every other year the majority of playoff teams were with second contract QBs. 

You want your QB to be somewhere in the 13-15% range of cap when they sign their deal. The reason being is that:

1. If its an extension, the number is lower averaged out (5 year @$30m/yr is actually 6 year, $152m for Dak - - or $25m/yr)

2. The cap goes up every year, making the contract a lesser portion of total spending.

3. There is about to be a new CBA, which could dramatically increase the size of the cap. 

Regarding what D82 said - I dont think it will be a bargain. But it will be manageable. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but 2017 according to Over the Cap here were the top 10 QBs by salary cap hit:

Flacco

Palmer

Cousins

Ryan

Tannehill

Rodgers

Newton

Eli

Luck

Brees

Only Brees Ryan and Cam made the playoffs. Do you take Dak over those 3?

Can he win games single handedly?

Not trying to have a Dak debate at all.

Just seems that when you pay big money to a QB, he needs to be in an elite tier to make up for the lack of resources elsewhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but 2017 according to Over the Cap here were the top 10 QBs by salary cap hit:

Flacco

Palmer

Cousins

Ryan

Tannehill

Rodgers

Newton

Eli

Luck

Brees

Only Brees Ryan and Cam made the playoffs. Do you take Dak over those 3?

Can he win games single handedly?

Not trying to have a Dak debate at all.

Just seems that when you pay big money to a QB, he needs to be in an elite tier to make up for the lack of resources elsewhere.

 

None of the other contracts matter though. Wilson and Wentz are the most recent signings and they basically set the floor for Dak and his agent. Dak compares favorably with both and betters Wentz in numerous categories. Dak's agent could careless about "single-handedly" winning games. Nobody does this anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but 2017 according to Over the Cap here were the top 10 QBs by salary cap hit:

Flacco

Palmer

Cousins

Ryan

Tannehill

Rodgers

Newton

Eli

Luck

Brees

Only Brees Ryan and Cam made the playoffs. Do you take Dak over those 3?

Can he win games single handedly?

Not trying to have a Dak debate at all.

Just seems that when you pay big money to a QB, he needs to be in an elite tier to make up for the lack of resources elsewhere.

 

This is a bit faulty because cap hits can vary crazily from year to year. A simple restructure bonus can wildly affect cap hits in a given year. Going by the fact that they are on a second contract is much more reliable as a measure. 

There are 12 teams that make playoffs. In 2017 all of them were on 2nd contracts except Mariota and Goff. Maybe Bortles as well, I dont remember when he signed. But again, the vast majority were on 2nd contracts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

None of the other contracts matter though. Wilson and Wentz are the most recent signings and they basically set the floor for Dak and his agent. Dak compares favorably with both and betters Wentz in numerous categories. Dak's agent could careless about "single-handedly" winning games. Nobody does this anyway.

Its not even a good way to measure contracts. Technically Brees is paid 25M this year.. Because the other $38m his hidden. Specifically $20m is hidden 2 years from now. 

Brady is $21m.... Because the other $14m is hidden on dead years. He is really getting paid $35m. Its just creative accounting. 

By @CAPJ's way of measuring, they are barely top 10 paid. In reality, they are the highest paid QBs in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not even a good way to measure contracts. Technically Brees is paid 25M this year.. Because the other $38m his hidden. Specifically $20m is hidden 2 years from now. 

Brady is $21m.... Because the other $14m is hidden on dead years. He is really getting paid $35m. Its just creative accounting. 

By @CAPJ's way of measuring, they are barely top 10 paid. In reality, they are the highest paid QBs in the league. 

It wasnt my way if measuring. I thought that's what you were going by. I was trying to compare what you said to the numbers, I just misunderstood what you were saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I see a lot of noise with this topic from everyone. I'll try to sum my thoughts in one post.

We can't pay Dak 40m/year. We'd set our franchise back for years. That being said if we are unable to sign any of our big three this year, our title hopes are very gone. Maybe for years. 

We might need to throw a tank year for Trevor Lawrence.

We'll sit through another painful year saying next year. Tough decision for our FO but I believe they have always done the smart decisions and will continue to do so.

Its just sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Alright I see a lot of noise with this topic from everyone. I'll try to sum my thoughts in one post.

We can't pay Dak 40m/year. We'd set our franchise back for years. That being said if we are unable to sign any of our big three this year, our title hopes are very gone. Maybe for years. 

We might need to throw a tank year for Trevor Lawrence.

We'll sit through another painful year saying next year. Tough decision for our FO but I believe they have always done the smart decisions and will continue to do so.

Its just sad. 

Conversely - Keep them on prove years and then get hella comp picks/traded picks when they all leave us. 

#brightside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matts4313 said:

Conversely - Keep them on prove years and then get hella comp picks/traded picks when they all leave us. 

#brightside.

update:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there should be a cap on QB contracts. it's starting to get ridiculous. I'm not mad at Dak im mad at this QB market.

We should have max contracts like the nba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Conversely - Keep them on prove years and then get hella comp picks/traded picks when they all leave us. 

#brightside.

No joke I think thats the only thing we can do. Ride or die with our defense. They got us the wins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I think there should be a cap on QB contracts. it's starting to get ridiculous. I'm not mad at Dak im mad at this QB market.

We should have max contracts like the nba

Teams let the market get this way, their own fault.

Can't blame guys for wanting to get paid, the NFL makes too much money for them not too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Teams let the market get this way, their own fault.

Can't blame guys for wanting to get paid, the NFL makes too much money for them not too

Yeah. Cap space exists for the NFL execs to keep more money in their pocket. With exceptions like Jerry Jones who are willing to spend everything...

Ahhh. Such a sad realization.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kiltman said:
32 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I think there should be a cap on QB contracts. it's starting to get ridiculous. I'm not mad at Dak im mad at this QB market.

We should have max contracts like the nba

Teams let the market get this way, their own fault.

Can't blame guys for wanting to get paid, the NFL makes too much money for them not too

The reality is that QB contracts really arent out of control. Wentz got 15%. Dak will hopefully take 15% (thats $33m in new money prorated over his cheap year this year). 15% against the cap has been standard for a while. Its what Brees and Brady make when you take out the funky dead years. 

Hell Steve Young won the superbowl over 13%. So its been this way for 25 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The reality is that QB contracts really arent out of control. Wentz got 15%. Dak will hopefully take 15% (thats $33m in new money prorated over his cheap year this year). 15% against the cap has been standard for a while. Its what Brees and Brady make when you take out the funky dead years. 

Hell Steve Young won the superbowl over 13%. So its been this way for 25 years. 

Again, not trying to make this a Dak debate.

Using your examples above, Dak is not in the same class as Brady, Brees or Young.

Wentz is debatable at best but we havent seen them win anything yet with him accounting for so much.

I dont think we can keep the players we need to keep in order for Dak to succeed while paying him 15%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Again, not trying to make this a Dak debate.

Using your examples above, Dak is not in the same class as Brady, Brees or Young.

Wentz is debatable at best but we havent seen them win anything yet with him accounting for so much.

I dont think we can keep the players we need to keep in order for Dak to succeed while paying him 15%.

Its 15% year 1. It will be ~10-12% by year 3. 10% is considered cheap for a QB. 

To put that in perspective Luck made 16% on his record setting deal 3 years ago. Now his $24m/yr looks like a huge bargain compared to Wilsons $35m/yr.

Of course the new CBA could make all these contracts look cheap in just 2 years. The players are expected to get a larger part of TV contracts. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I want to point something out. Brady is making a real $35m this year. Brees is making like $40m and they are hiding it in voidable years. If we sign Dak for $33m/yr in new money, it will actually be prorated to include his $2m this year. It brings him down to $27m. So Dak is not as good as Brady, but he will actually be making 25% less as well. 

Edited by Matts4313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×