Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Our point differential in losses this year was 40. In those games we had 30 points in missed kicks. We were #1 in the NFL in FG attempts. #32 in FG accuracy. #24 in 4th down attempts. 

Do you think that might have been a factor in winning at least 1 game?

Our defense was mid 20's in opposing QB ANY/A. Which means Even if Dak had a great game, there was a solid chance the opposing QB also had a great game. 

Do you think that might be a factor in winning 1 game?

In the vikings game specifically, Dak was on.freaking.fire! Led us down the entire field masterfully. Was perfect, truly. We get within the 10 yard line and coach decides to force it to Zeke every play. Zeke cant get 10 yards, in fact, he loses yards. We lose the game. 

Do you think better coaching would have helped us win that game?

Daks not blameless. He was terrible against the Packers and Eagles. But he was the least of our concerns last year.  

I don't really care enough about this topic to go into a debate about it (plus you'll never change my mind and I'll never change yours).  But I think you're going to be shocked how quickly fans and the media will turn on Dak once he's on an expensive contract.  I you think he gets criticized now, just wait.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't really care enough about this topic to go into a debate about it (plus you'll never change my mind and I'll never change yours).  But I think you're going to be shocked how quickly fans and the media will turn on Dak once he's on an expensive contract.  I you think he gets criticized now, just wait.   

Only if he plays poorly. If he plays like he did last year, no one will care. Just think about the Brees years. Superbowl => bad teams with 5k yards => NFC Champ game; All on pretty big contracts.

Obviously no one wants bad years. But thats just not realistic. Every HOF, superbowl winning QB ever has had bad years aside from Brady and Manning. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Only if he plays poorly. If he plays like he did last year, no one will care. Just think about the Brees years. Superbowl => bad teams with 5k yards => NFC Champ game; All on pretty big contracts.

Obviously no one wants bad years. But thats just not realistic. Every HOF, superbowl winning QB ever has had bad years aside from Brady and Manning. 

Nope.  It'll be, well he should have been better we're paying him all that money.  Kirk Cousins threw for nearly 5k yards, the fans and media crucified him.

6 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Prevent defenses tend to that. Dak is trash bro. 

In the GB game (which had by far the most garbage time) they didn’t really play prevent. Cooper and Gallup annihilated their Cover 1 to the point that they drastically dialed back their use of that coverage against S11 personnel for the rest of the year (per Brett Kollmann’s video, I don’t have the data on hand)

Edited by matt79511

10 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Prevent defenses tend to that. Dak is trash bro. 

Lol. So your explanation is prevent? 

Probably Daks best game was against the Vikings. A pretty good defense. 1 score game the entire time. 

Explain that.

Why do people keep saying Dak is the least of our worries? I understood it as a simple expression the first time, but now 4 or 5 guys have repeated it. 

What about right guard? I'd say that's the least of our worries. The RB group is stronger than the QB room. Right tackle and left tackle are up there for positions I'm not worried about. If we sign Quinn, I'm not really worried about left end or right end.

I get that Dak has improved but now he's the best player on our team to more people other than Matts?

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Why do people keep saying Dak is the least of our worries? I understood it as a simple expression the first time, but now 4 or 5 guys have repeated it. 

What about right guard? I'd say that's the least of our worries. The RB group is stronger than the QB room. Right tackle and left tackle are up there for positions I'm not worried about. If we sign Quinn, I'm not really worried about left end or right end.

I get that Dak has improved but now he's the best player on our team to more people other than Matts?

You know whats funny, I have read that said so much in here I just started using it. And I dont think Dak is the best player on the team, just the most important.

Hell the best player on the Ravens for like 5 years was their kicker. But no one cares about that compared to the more important spots. 

24 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Well the fact that he’s not signed is an issue that must be rectified and doesn’t apply to starting RG and RB positions- we don’t have “issues” there presently. Dak’s obviously not going anywhere which is what makes him the “least of worries” as it relates to retuning the roster for 2020. There’s not that much ambiguity there relative to, like, who half the defensive starters will be.

Edited by matt79511

59 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I used the term Dak is the least of our worries in response to those who say we can never win with Dak because he is mediocre and not worthy of a lucrative extension.   In response to that argument I say Dak is a productive QB, they are hard to find, we can win with Dak, let him work with the new staff, and, in light of that,  he is the least of our worries.

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

I used the term Dak is the least of our worries in response to those who say we can never win with Dak because he is mediocre and not worthy of a lucrative extension.   In response to that argument I say Dak is a productive QB, they are hard to find, we can win with Dak, let him work with the new staff, and, in light of that,  he is the least of our worries.

Is the fact that he has yet to work for the new staff giving pause to the contract process at all?

16 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Is the fact that he has yet to work for the new staff giving pause to the contract process at all?

Don't know.  Refresh my memory but I think McCarthy said the right things about Dak.  I think the pause is the reality that he's going to sign for a lot of money.  Factor in potential deals for Cooper, Jones, Cobb, Quinn and there will be a lot of dollars thrown around in big D.  Who knows the depth of the contract scenarios management is looking at. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Northland said:

Good discussion.  Purely for arguments sake I'll say Dak didn't set the market.  Why should he, or anyone else accept less than going rate?  I think it's a huge gamble to move on from a very productive QB.  Let's see what McCarthy can do with Dak and the offense vs gambling on a rookie. If we want to move on from someone what about Cooper?  We won't because of the price paid to acquire him, but he didn't produce on the road last year and it's a receiver rich draft.

Dak doesn’t have to accept less if he doesn’t want too, but at some point the F.O. needs to make a stand. They know Dak makes a ton of money just by being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Accepting a little less shouldn’t be that big of a deal if you’re the leader everyone believes you to be. The F.O. is trying to keep some of their core together but will probably lose someone thanks to caving into Lawrence and Zeke’s demands. Dak holding out into TC puts him and McCarthy at a disadvantage. At least with a rookie, you get them on a cheap 4-5 year deal.

As for Cooper, I 100% agree with you about moving on from him first. They will probably resign him to a huge deal, but he’s a soft NFL WR.

4 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Dak doesn’t have to accept less if he doesn’t want too, but at some point the F.O. needs to make a stand. They know Dak makes a ton of money just by being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Accepting a little less shouldn’t be that big of a deal if you’re the leader everyone believes you to be. The F.O. is trying to keep some of their core together but will probably lose someone thanks to caving into Lawrence and Zeke’s demands. Dak holding out into TC puts him and McCarthy at a disadvantage. At least with a rookie, you get them on a cheap 4-5 year deal.

As for Cooper, I 100% agree with you about moving on from him first. They will probably resign him to a huge deal, but he’s a soft NFL WR.

If I'm Dak's camp my position is as follows.  I never made waves about my rookie deal, i.e. tear it up because of the way I've performed.  You have gotten more than fair value out of a 4th round pick. Hell Dallas got a bargain. I've performed now pay me.  Your fallback position is Cooper Rush.  Good luck with that.  Hopefully Dak isn't looking to set the market.  A potential training camp holdout benefits no one which makes it paramount to get a long term deal done.

• Like 1