Jump to content
WizardHawk

Prescott seeking $40m/yr

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

BTW - With how quickly Daks representation denied this to like 3 different news agencies... it seems highly unlikely Dak really wanted $40m. 

Which means I am sticking to what I said above. As long as his AAV is in the $27m range we should be fine. We can go slightly higher AAV than Wentz and pull that off because Dak is owed $2m in 2019 compared to Wentz @$8.5m. That means we can mirror Wentz's cap hits but actually pay ~$1-2m/year more. 

Dak at $33m x 4 years = $132M

+ 2019 $2m

-------------------------

5 years at $134m = $26.8M/yr

$27m/190m cap = 14.2%

 

That appears to be more than Wentz at $32m/year, but its actually a bit cheaper. Wentz is 4 year @128 + 8.5m 2019 = $136.5 or 14.4% of cap. Additionally Wentz has another $12m in incentives he can earn, which I assume we would offer Dak. 

 

Edited by Matts4313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm Dallas I put 28 million times 5 years, 100 million guaranteed on the table and let him sign it whenever. No State tax and all the endorsements from being the Cowboys QB can make up the difference

 

If he doesn't sign it then I'll franchise him at the end of the year if he's worth it, or maybe I'll let him walk and sign a 15 million dollar game manager and build a really great defense and pay Zeke

 

See if any other team wants to give Dak 30plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

BTW - With how quickly Daks representation denied this to like 3 different news agencies... it seems highly unlikely Dak really wanted $40m. 

Which means I am sticking to what I said above. As long as his AAV is in the $27m range we should be fine. We can go slightly higher AAV than Wentz and pull that off because Dak is owed $2m in 2019 compared to Wentz @$8.5m. That means we can mirror Wentz's cap hits but actually pay ~$1-2m/year more. 

Dak at $33m x 4 years = $132M

+ 2019 $2m

-------------------------

5 years at $134m = $26.8M/yr

$27m/190m cap = 14.2%

 

That appears to be more than Wentz at $32m/year, but its actually a bit cheaper. Wentz is 4 year @128 + 8.5m 2019 = $136.5 or 14.4% of cap. Additionally Wentz has another $12m in incentives he can earn, which I assume we would offer Dak. 

 

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

 

Dumping money into this year to lower the cap hits for future years doesn't make a differance anymore now that you can roll unused capspace into the next year

 

If Dak wanted a better rookie contract, then he should have had a better college career. If he wanted to get noticed and go to a "Big School" then he should have played better in high school

 

We don't owe anything to Dak for the previous 3 years or this one. He should be grateful Romo got hurt when he did or for all we know Romo could have played the last 2 or 3 seasons and Jerry might have replaced him with a big name FA and Dak would still be the backup

 

He fell into a perfect situation with a top RB, a stout O-line and an up and coming young defense. Every QB's wet dream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

If I'm Dallas I put 28 million times 5 years, 100 million guaranteed on the table and let him sign it whenever. No State tax and all the endorsements from being the Cowboys QB can make up the difference

Thats a bit off, players pay taxes in every state they play. So its only a savings on half the games.

10 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

 

If he doesn't sign it then I'll franchise him at the end of the year if he's worth it, or maybe I'll let him walk and sign a 15 million dollar game manager and build a really great defense and pay Zeke

What QB manager?

And Zekes influence on winning is significantly lower than Daks. 

10 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

See if any other team wants to give Dak 30plus

There would be. 

1 minute ago, TheGame316 said:

 

Dumping money into this year to lower the cap hits for future years doesn't make a differance anymore now that you can roll unused capspace into the next year

It matters in effect because it lower the AAV of Dak. But you are right that we could just carry over the money that would be on his signing bonus.

1 minute ago, TheGame316 said:

If Dak wanted a better rookie contract, then he should have had a better college career. If he wanted to get noticed and go to a "Big School" then he should have played better in high school

Lol. This sentiment is so ridiculous. I guess Brady shouldnt have been a "late bloomer" either? I mean, its as simple is just being the GOAT from 15 years old, right?

1 minute ago, TheGame316 said:

We don't owe anything to Dak for the previous 3 years or this one. He should be grateful Romo got hurt when he did or for all we know Romo could have played the last 2 or 3 seasons and Jerry might have replaced him with a big name FA and Dak would still be the backup

Romo couldnt finish any seasons. He was injury prone by the end of his career. Its happens to people with certain playstyles... add even more so as they get older. 

1 minute ago, TheGame316 said:

He fell into a perfect situation with a top RB, a stout O-line and an up and coming young defense. Every QB's wet dream

His rookie year. The past 1.5 years we have surrounded him with extremely mediocre, at many times awful, talent. WE give him a 5'6 #1 WR and a terrible pass blocking OL  (due to injuries) and wondered why he struggled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats a bit off, players pay taxes in every state they play. So its only a savings on half the games.

What QB manager?

And Zekes influence on winning is significantly lower than Daks. 

There would be. 

It matters in effect because it lower the AAV of Dak. But you are right that we could just carry over the money that would be on his signing bonus.

Lol. This sentiment is so ridiculous. I guess Brady shouldnt have been a "late bloomer" either? I mean, its as simple is just being the GOAT from 15 years old, right?

Romo couldnt finish any seasons. He was injury prone by the end of his career. Its happens to people with certain playstyles... add even more so as they get older. 

His rookie year. The past 1.5 years we have surrounded him with extremely mediocre, at many times awful, talent. WE give him a 5'6 #1 WR and a terrible pass blocking OL  (due to injuries) and wondered why he struggled. 

If Dak sucks this year and isn't worth the Franchise tag I'd throw a contract offer at Bridgewater on the higher end (25mill), or a guy like Mariota or Dalton on the mid tier. (12-15mill short term). I would also seriously consider Brady if New England, for whatever reason moves on

There's also the added bonus/factor that if Dak sucks, then the Cowboys probably sucked too and we'd be in the market for a new coach. Probably want that guy to have a say

Edited by TheGame316

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Some food for thought.....

https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/status/1161116924987805696/photo/1

 

The notion that there wouldn't be a deep line up of teams willing to give Dak $30m/yr is nauseating.

If that's true then I bet there is also a long list of teams with huge offers ready to trade for him

 

2 1sts and a 2nd?, Isn't that what RG3 went for?

What was the price Philly traded to get Wentz?

 

I'm ready to sell high

Edited by TheGame316

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

If that's true then I bet there is also a long list of teams with huge offers ready to trade for him

 

2 1sts and a 2nd?, Isn't that what RG3 went for?

What was the price Philly traded to get Wentz?

 

I'm ready to sell high

I'm game. We did everything we can for our players but if they don't leave us with option we'll need to face the reality of the situation.

No player is more important than our franchise.

Trade Dak for this season, maybe keep zeke, keep coop atleast. Tank & get T.Lawrence. and We'll aim for the SB again in couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing the mental gymnastics people put themselves thru regarding Dak.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I'm game. We did everything we can for our players but if they don't leave us with option we'll need to face the reality of the situation.

No player is more important than our franchise.

Trade Dak for this season, maybe keep zeke, keep coop atleast. Tank & get T.Lawrence. and We'll aim for the SB again in couple years.

I don't think we'd be bad enough to get Lawrence, but I'd let Dak play out his year and put a 1st round tender on him if we didn't want to keep him

If he plays great, then Franchise tag and we'll talk again next offseason

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

It's amazing the mental gymnastics people put themselves thru regarding Dak.  

It's just frustrating to have seen all his growth through the years for all it be boiled down to a contract dispute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

It's just frustrating to have seen all his growth through the years for all it be boiled down to a contract dispute.

Did you not expect his agent to negotiate? Thats literally his legal obligation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Did you not expect his agent to negotiate? Thats literally his legal obligation. 

Anything over 30/32 M will set this franchise back. I could care less what his legal obligation is. The reality of the situation is we are in a lose/lose situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

EB0dr-5XYAE8i7Z.jpg

I dont understand the argument for most wins in first 3 years by a QB.

There have been games where Dak played poorly and we won and games Dak played well and we lost.

Not taking anything away from Dak but this team was setup in 2016 to win games. He played very well his rookie year but most rookie QBs dont walk into the situation he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×