Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

6 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Is she usually a franchise reporter or a players reporter?

This just seems like a story you float out there to lose Dak the fan support.

Might be a blessing in disguise though

She does have access I know that. 

• Like 1

I think the easy choice is and always has been to let him play out his rookie deal. He isn't holding out, so what's the problem? QBs don't ever really hold out, because it's a bad look for them. $2M this year for Dak and a franchise tag next year means about $16M per year over the next two. I'm all over that.

Add up $2M plus the cost of two franchise tags and then divide it by 3. Is that $40m per?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Meh, the market says he is worth the 35, given the recent contracts. And, despite the narrative that he isn't any good/not that good/whatever there is plenty on the other side of the coin too. Just depends on what and how you want to view it. 

There are contract out right now that says some DL worth more then a healthy JJ Watt that does not you want to pay premium market value.

I would just prefer to draft his replacement. Justin Hebert looks like a nice prospect. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I think the easy choice is and always has been to let him play out his rookie deal. He isn't holding out, so what's the problem? QBs don't ever really hold out, because it's a bad look for them. $2M this year for Dak and a franchise tag next year means about $16M per year over the next two. I'm all over that.

Add up $2M plus the cost of two franchise tags and then divide it by 3. Is that $40m per?

For once we agree on something concerning Dak Prescott.

Not even close. Franchise tag is like $24m. 120% the following year. So it would be 3 years total for ~$60m. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont see how this helps anything at all - either for the Cowboys or Dak. Maybe floating $40m will make it look reasonable if he signs for $35m.... but even that is a stretch. 

If he is asking for it, makes sense for the Cowboys. Fans and sports radio have already rightfully laughed it off.
Even if he wants $35, most everyone has laughed at that for Dak too.
It'd be a way to check him and what he's actually worth publically.
Happens a lot, not sure if it here...but it's what happens.

If he wants $33-35 mil it makes sense for him to leak it to get the cowboys off of sticking at $30, Cowboys can pony up a couple mil and be done with it.
Though if that as the case he doesn't have the best awareness about his value and how much people were already wary of him at $30. (I'm sure a lot of you were fine with it)

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Not even close. Franchise tag is like $24m. 120% the following year. So it would be 3 years total for ~$60m. 

But it's all 100% guaranteed. 

Which is fine I guess. That $20M for the next 3 years, oh and he'll be 29 years old going into that 4th season.

Dak has no leverage. 

But it's all 100% guaranteed. 

Which is fine I guess. That $20M for the next 3 years, oh and he'll be 29 years old going into that 4th season.

Dak has no leverage. 

Thats still young enough for a LTD. At 29 he could sign and play a ~5 year contract reasonably. 

41 minutes ago, D82 said:

The reality is he likely wants somewhere around $35MM...which will likely look like a bargain this time next year. 

Help me understand and I'm not being sarcastic at all.

Just because Dak might be a bargain to some at $35 mill next year, doesnt make it easier putting good talent around him when they will want more too.

There's a reason why most teams that are paying top money to a QB struggle fielding a solid team.

8 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Just because Dak might be a bargain to some at $35 mill next year, doesnt make it easier putting good talent around him when they will want more too.

There's a reason why most teams that are paying top money to a QB struggle fielding a solid team.

It’s because they suck at managing the cap and/or drafting well.

16 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

This is not true. This happened one time in recent history. Last year. Every other year the majority of playoff teams were with second contract QBs. 

You want your QB to be somewhere in the 13-15% range of cap when they sign their deal. The reason being is that:

1. If its an extension, the number is lower averaged out (5 year @$30m/yr is actually 6 year, $152m for Dak - - or $25m/yr)

2. The cap goes up every year, making the contract a lesser portion of total spending.

3. There is about to be a new CBA, which could dramatically increase the size of the cap. 

Regarding what D82 said - I dont think it will be a bargain. But it will be manageable. 

Edited by Matts4313