Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

PFF says Daks "free market" contract would be $40m

who would pay that though?

Just from a market stand point the next couple of years..

You have what..

• Bengals - Dalton has shown not to be the answer for awhile, but would Taylor want to pin his HC career on a QB like Dak? 
    Or would he just get what will likely be a top pick in the next two years? Bengals are in a great spot to get Lawrence in a couple years or someone next year.
    Which gives him further time to get off the ground.
  • Chargers - Could there be a quick retiring from Rivers the next two year? Even if there is they have a lot of guys they need to pay. Though being in LA, they still need to try and get marketshare and are behind the Rams there. Their plethora of talent would also make them a possible trade partner in year 1 or 2 of the Cowboys tags
  • Dolphins - Would they just pull the plug on Rosen and give up the rebuild plan they had? Rosen isn't good enough not to, but they like the Bengals are in a great spot at Lawrence or other top QB. Who might actually last to outlive Brady after a decade of saying that.
  • Bucs - Unless Winston has a comeback year, probably will be in the market for a new QB soon. Is Dak an Arians type of guy? 
    Winston is more the type he's had, bigger armed and less mobile. But obviously he's vastly inconsistent.
  • Titans - Mariota/Tannehill are just question marks, and neither is very good. With Vrabel as HC, I could see him liking a guy like Dak. Could be the logical fit.
    And Cap could be made to work any of the years the Cowboys could be done with him.

So a couple teams, could be none of them, could be all of them.

I think it the other thing with this is you guys might only get a chance at one tag with the new CBA coming in year 2 on the Tag.
If no deal is done, I'm sure the Cowboys will tag him before  but could come back to 2nd tags not being a thing, making Dak a FA.
Which by then he probably would make up to $40, with Mahomes' deal and the larger cap.

19 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I think Denver would be interested in Dak

Maybe yeah, depends when he's available though.

Because you'd assume they want to see what Drew Lock has next year at least, if not the year after.
If he's awful, yeah I could see Elway wanting to fix the problem with Dak, since he clearly can't evaluate talent well enough to find a QB himself

Turning Denver into an offense based on Dak's strengths isn't a terrible idea in a division they might lose for a decade. Run based attack, with quick passes.

For 40 million a year you tag the kid at the end of the year and draft his replacement. I know these NFL players are looking at the NBA contracts being handed out but when you need to pay 56 guys on a NFL team compared to 12 on an NBA teams the contracts are apples and oranges. 

If he wants 40 million, pay Zeke, pay the defense and go back to grind it out football

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

who would pay that though?

Just from a market stand point the next couple of years..

You have what..

• Bengals - Dalton has shown not to be the answer for awhile, but would Taylor want to pin his HC career on a QB like Dak? 
    Or would he just get what will likely be a top pick in the next two years? Bengals are in a great spot to get Lawrence in a couple years or someone next year.
    Which gives him further time to get off the ground.
  • Chargers - Could there be a quick retiring from Rivers the next two year? Even if there is they have a lot of guys they need to pay. Though being in LA, they still need to try and get marketshare and are behind the Rams there. Their plethora of talent would also make them a possible trade partner in year 1 or 2 of the Cowboys tags
  • Dolphins - Would they just pull the plug on Rosen and give up the rebuild plan they had? Rosen isn't good enough not to, but they like the Bengals are in a great spot at Lawrence or other top QB. Who might actually last to outlive Brady after a decade of saying that.
  • Bucs - Unless Winston has a comeback year, probably will be in the market for a new QB soon. Is Dak an Arians type of guy? 
    Winston is more the type he's had, bigger armed and less mobile. But obviously he's vastly inconsistent.
  • Titans - Mariota/Tannehill are just question marks, and neither is very good. With Vrabel as HC, I could see him liking a guy like Dak. Could be the logical fit.
    And Cap could be made to work any of the years the Cowboys could be done with him.

So a couple teams, could be none of them, could be all of them.

I think it the other thing with this is you guys might only get a chance at one tag with the new CBA coming in year 2 on the Tag.
If no deal is done, I'm sure the Cowboys will tag him before  but could come back to 2nd tags not being a thing, making Dak a FA.
Which by then he probably would make up to $40, with Mahomes' deal and the larger cap.

Good points. I dont believe any of those QB needy teams are a QB away from contending unless that QB is Wilson, Rodgers, etc. which Dak is not.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think the idea of trading for Bridgewater is the worst one I have heard... possibly in my lifetime... and theres been like 3 of you to say.

Not saying we can't use the pick(s) we would get and draft a qb in 2020.   He would be a stop gap.  I think paying Dak $40 million is just as bad an idea.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

Good points. I dont believe any of those QB needy teams are a QB away from contending unless that QB is Wilson, Rodgers, etc. which Dak is not.

I agree, I think after writing them all down...the Titans are the only fit. Vrabel and the GM would be nearing their last chance by then. Him being a former player he would probably value the “he’s just a winner, man” thing with Dak.

would say Chargers too, because trying to get a foothold in the LA market is a big concern for them. But the money probably wouldn’t work out.

the best place with Dak is Dallas. They can let Zeke walk or trade him, get a younger cheaper RB and continue this style of offense that uses Dak as efficient secondary option.

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Not saying we can't use the pick(s) we would get and draft a qb in 2020.   He would be a stop gap.  I think paying Dak $40 million is just as bad an idea.  

Good thing there is not a chance in hell either of them happens. Were not paying $40m to Dak. Bridgewater will never be our QB. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Maybe yeah, depends when he's available though.

Because you'd assume they want to see what Drew Lock has next year at least, if not the year after.
If he's awful, yeah I could see Elway wanting to fix the problem with Dak, since he clearly can't evaluate talent well enough to find a QB himself

Turning Denver into an offense based on Dak's strengths isn't a terrible idea in a division they might lose for a decade. Run based attack, with quick passes.

Teams have given up on 2nd round QBs after just a year. The Broncos are in many ways responsible for Dak’s success by saving us from Lynch so I could see them wanting “revenge” in that sense. Elway seems more inclined to keep going after vet QBs after missing on Brock and Paxton  (and hitting on Peyton obviously) and Dak is a great fit in that ZBS/PA rollout Shanahan/Kubiak style scheme. They make the most sense to me

edit: but it’s a moot discussion beyond the fact that he would absolutely have suitors on the open market

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Teams have given up on 2nd round QBs after just a year. The Broncos are in many ways responsible for Dak’s success by saving us from Lynch so I could see them wanting “revenge” in that sense. Elway seems more inclined to keep going after vet QBs after missing on Brock and Paxton  (and hitting on Peyton obviously) and Dak is a great fit in that ZBS/PA rollout Shanahan/Kubiak style scheme. They make the most sense to me

edit: but it’s a moot discussion beyond the fact that he would absolutely have suitors on the open market

They do, especially non-1st round QBs.
But Dak isn't, as @CAPJ said, Russell Wilson or someone like that hitting the market.
Where without question he's an upgrade.

I don't particularly have faith in Drew Lock being anything, but say the Cowboys tag Dak next year and Lock has even a medium amount of success as his first full year starting.
Would they ditch him to have to overpay Dak? I don't think they would.

I just saw Daniel Jeremiah's show had a headline that wraps up the struggle people have with Dak.
Is he a "tractor"? where he's pulling the offense along and making it all work?
Or is he a "trailer"? Being pulled along by a largely solid oline and good running attack?
The opinion varies a lot. Which is the big X factor that we will never know, like which teams look at him as a "tractor"

52 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

They do, especially non-1st round QBs.
But Dak isn't, as @CAPJ said, Russell Wilson or someone like that hitting the market.
Where without question he's an upgrade.

I don't particularly have faith in Drew Lock being anything, but say the Cowboys tag Dak next year and Lock has even a medium amount of success as his first full year starting.
Would they ditch him to have to overpay Dak? I don't think they would.

I just saw Daniel Jeremiah's show had a headline that wraps up the struggle people have with Dak.
Is he a "tractor"? where he's pulling the offense along and making it all work?
Or is he a "trailer"? Being pulled along by a largely solid oline and good running attack?
The opinion varies a lot. Which is the big X factor that we will never know, like which teams look at him as a "tractor"

I don’t think that it does. They landed on “elite trailer” in that segment and I think that’s how most would reasonably assess Dak. He does everything right from an intangible standpoint that puts those pieces around him in a position to succeed, but he still needs those pieces to be pretty good across the board.

I feel like that caliber of QB does probably go for $35M/yr on the open market, especially given his youth and durability. Only need one team. 

One reason why I wasn't apposed to drafting a QB high last season was just this. Having an insurance and leverage against Dak and demands like this as well as having some real competition for Dak vs late rd projects. Even if Dak gets signed and has a solid season, I want Dallas to consider a legit backup through the draft (cheaper than a proven FA)

• Like 1