Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

On 8/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, resilient part 2 said:

One reason why I wasn't apposed to drafting a QB high last season was just this. Having an insurance and leverage against Dak and demands like this as well as having some real competition for Dak vs late rd projects. Even if Dak gets signed and has a solid season, I want Dallas to consider a legit backup through the draft (cheaper than a proven FA)

Problem with that is Garrett is on the hot seat.   He doesn't want to spend time or picks on a guy that wouldn't help him during his tenure.  That's where its up to Stephen and McClay to make the move that's best for the team.

11 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Problem with that is Garrett is on the hot seat.   He doesn't want to spend time or picks on a guy that wouldn't help him during his tenure.  That's where its up to Stephen and McClay to make the move that's best for the team.

so basically it's Garretts fault. team first, damn JG

Edited by resilient part 2

As an outsider (Bengals fan), why has Jones kept Garrett around so long? If you have the most valuable sports franchise in the world and the amount you can pay players is capped, I'd think he would spend big on coaching.  Give Sean Payton 12-15 mil to go to Dallas. Or Andy Reid, etc. What competitive advantage does Garrett offer? 

Regarding Prescott, if I were Jones, I'd pay the going rate for Elliott and Cooper, and lowball Dak. Offer him 25 mil per new year on a 5 year extension but with 50-60 mil in signing bonus. The low average salary helps the cap and keeps Dak's supporting cast intact. It also shows a team first mentality and leadership. He's likely to see every cent of that deal and get 35 mil on his next 5 year deal. He could earn over $300 mil in his career while having success with a high profile team. Dak's agents would hate that but the player himself might not.

56 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

As an outsider (Bengals fan), why has Jones kept Garrett around so long? If you have the most valuable sports franchise in the world and the amount you can pay players is capped, I'd think he would spend big on coaching.  Give Sean Payton 12-15 mil to go to Dallas. Or Andy Reid, etc. What competitive advantage does Garrett offer? 

Regarding Prescott, if I were Jones, I'd pay the going rate for Elliott and Cooper, and lowball Dak. Offer him 25 mil per new year on a 5 year extension but with 50-60 mil in signing bonus. The low average salary helps the cap and keeps Dak's supporting cast intact. It also shows a team first mentality and leadership. He's likely to see every cent of that deal and get 35 mil on his next 5 year deal. He could earn over $300 mil in his career while having success with a high profile team. Dak's agents would hate that but the player himself might not.

Many believe it's simply because JJ is stubborn. JJ hand picked him. JG was actually hired has OC even before a HC was hired (Phillips).

Getting 35M on his second  5year is unlikely. Depending on CBA.....no way 35M will cover having  a Quality QB. I mean that would be 2024.

Or I'm misunderstanding your post and my math is off.

No, your math is right. I'm suggesting the Cowboys lowball Prescott with a 25 mil per year 5 year deal now and something on the order of a 35 mil per year 5 year deal when his next contract ends. As you note, those are well below top dollar amounts. But QBs play longer than other positions and he'll have plenty of chances for endorsements. Including this year's salary, Dak has made about 4 mil so far in his career. He'd make 125 on the contract I suggest and 175 mil on the one after that. Up to this point in his career, he's carried the injury risk. I suggested the Cowboys take that risk on via a huge signing bonus in return for him agreeing to a lower than usual annual average. If he kept playing well and made it possible for the team to surround him with more talent, then a SuperBowl win isn't out of the question and his career could parallel Aikman's, but with Dak of course making a lot more money. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

No, your math is right. I'm suggesting the Cowboys lowball Prescott with a 25 mil per year 5 year deal now and something on the order of a 35 mil per year 5 year deal when his next contract ends. As you note, those are well below top dollar amounts. But QBs play longer than other positions and he'll have plenty of chances for endorsements. Including this year's salary, Dak has made about 4 mil so far in his career. He'd make 125 on the contract I suggest and 175 mil on the one after that. Up to this point in his career, he's carried the injury risk. I suggested the Cowboys take that risk on via a huge signing bonus in return for him agreeing to a lower than usual annual average. If he kept playing well and made it possible for the team to surround him with more talent, then a SuperBowl win isn't out of the question and his career could parallel Aikman's, but with Dak of course making a lot more money. 

Yeah good luck with that ...  

i still see 33-36 as the number and am okay with that.  NO way would I pay market setting dollar to a RB 

• Like 1

He certainly has the right to bet on himself.  But he's not a better QB overall than Luck, Rodgers, etc. He's a high quality trailer or game manager. It's part of a QB's job to manage a game but it's not an esteemed skill. If Dak has a big year, the Cowboys will franchise him and perhaps do it again in 2021. If he has a worse than expected year, then nobody will pay him 33 mil or more. 

Dak has a good set of skills that are probably best suited for the Cowboys. An offer that makes him a local hero, maybe even a Hall of Famer, and let's him earn hundreds of millions of dollars shouldn't be scoffed at. 

For Elliott, if it's simply an ego thing and he wants a bigger contract for bragging rights, it's easy enough. Offer him a 5 year extension with salaries of 16 mil per year. No money up front. Pay as you go. Of course he'd turn that down. Zeke is arguably the best RB in the league so being paid the most isn't unreasonable. But he's 2 years from free agency and has had off field issues. I'd offer him a deal with 4 new years for 60 mil with 20 mil paid now in signing bonus. That gives him more money now while raising his cap hit only $5 mil in 2019. The team could add some NLTBE incentives for the last couple years of his rookie deal and clawback language if he's suspended again.

Cooper is easy enough. Pay him 17 mil per new year for 4 or 5 years with a quarter to a third of the money in signing bonus. 

If no new deal is done with Dak, consider extending Jaylon Smith. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 2:53 AM, Matts4313 said:

Definitive Guide to Defending Dak to the Haters

Step 1 - Show that he is pretty good:

Daks league-wide rankings in 2016-18, 32 games played minimum

• 8th in passer rating

• 11th in ANY/A

• 6th in CMP%

• 5th in INTs

• 7th in combined TDs

• 2nd in wins

• 1st in GWD

PFR

Step 2 - Refute "the best supporting cast ever" argument:

1. Starting Falcons '17 through 2018 the pressure rate on Dak DOUBLED

2. F.O. ranked us the #28 worst pass blocking OL in 2018

3. PFF ranked us #22 pass blocking OL in 2018, but the 27th worst at giving up sacks/pressures

4. NFL.com rated our WR's DEAD LAST at getting open in 2018, excluding Amari Cooper

5. Zeke was #22 in facing a stacked box (25% of the time). The notion that "Dak has it easy because defenses focus on Zeke" is verifiable false.

Step 3 - Show how the above affected him:

Source 1

Source 2

Step 4 - If they bring up Romo:

Prescott’s stats 2016-18: 96 passer rating, 66.1% completion percentage, 67 passing touchdowns, 7.52 adjusted yards per attempt

Tony Romo’s stats 2010-12: 95.7 passer rating, 66.4% completion percentage, 70 passing touchdowns, 7.57 adjusted yards per attempt

Source

Step 5 - Accolades:

• Rookie of the Year (2016)

• 32-16 regular season record

• 1-2 playoff record

• Been to Divisional Round twice

• 2 NFC East titles

• 2-Time Pro Bowler

• First player in NFL history with 20+ passing TDs & 5+ rushing TDs in each of his first 3 seasons

• 7th most wins all time for a 3rd year QB

• 5th most TDs all time for a 3rd year QB

• Highest passer rating when tied in the 4th/overtime in the past 25 years

• Most game winning drives since entering the league on the 8th fewest opportunities

Step 6 - the Meme:

Explain that you know he isnt worth $40m/yr. Thats not the point. The point is that he is a franchise QB and deserves a contract that pays him as such.

still sux

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, quiller said:

Thank u Matt’s.  But the haters still hate. Just like today was 6-6 team scored a TD on his only drive that at one point was at their own two and all the comments that mentioned Dak were negative.  

He looked good, however was short on that deep ball to Gallup.

Very similar to last year.

2 hours ago, quiller said:

Thank u Matt’s.  But the haters still hate. Just like today was 6-6 team scored a TD on his only drive that at one point was at their own two and all the comments that mentioned Dak were negative.  

All this done with no Zeke or Amari

9 hours ago, quiller said:

I feel like most of our fanbase are godawful at judging QBs with proper expectations. They hated Romo also. 

True for a lot of fans to be honest - none of them see take the time to watch the all 22. So their perspective is entirely results driven and fueled by emotions. Emotions make a person illogical.