Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

On 6/24/2020 at 7:12 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

I think he could make more money by waiting for larger caps and other QBs reseting market.   I am still not sure he is viewed as elite QB by his own Team.  They obviously want him, but they clearly don't want him at any price.

I could be wrong, but aren't they offering at least 35 mil/yr which is more than 2 tags?  And wouldn't he get a huge chunk of any long term deal upfront on signing?   So time value of money, especially big money, makes the up front cash more desirable?  In addition a greater sum would be guaranteed - probably at least first 3 years.   

He could also have a bad year or suffer a horrible Alex Smith like injury.  Or perhaps Cowboys have rare opportunity to trade up or have an injury plagued year that allows them to draft a hot college QB they really like.    NFL could suffer problems due to Covid or politics and revenue could conceivably drop along with salaries.   There could be war or massive terrorist attack that takes all football off board.  

So plan to wait is not without risk.   If it was me I would sign even a 5 year contract.   You eliminate risk however remote and I don't think it is extremely remote.   From a team standpoint you allow long term roster planning giving you chance at more successful teams which leads to greater earnings outside of football as Cowboys QB.

I think being Cowboys QB of successful teams carries a real monetary value and probably a guarantee of lifetime employment if desired - Aikman and Romo are making millions in TV booth far past playing days.   And a greater one than being QB of mediocre or bad teams.  

But as a non Cowboy fan I hope they pay him everything he wants and more.   Above are my objective thoughts.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think he could make more money by waiting for larger caps and other QBs reseting market.   I am still not sure he is viewed as elite QB by his own Team.  They obviously want him, but they clearly don't want him at any price.

Youve got it backwards.. We are willing to make him the #1 paid QB in the NFL. But we want him to sign for *5* years. Dak only wants to sign for 4. Thats the entire dispute.

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Youve got it backwards.. We are willing to make him the #1 paid QB in the NFL. But we want him to sign for *5* years. Dak only wants to sign for 4. Thats the entire dispute.

I said if I was Dak I would be willing to sign 5.  

37 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Mahomes just totally reset the market!!! 

LMFAO

This actually is good news for us in a way. I still want to see $ amounts but this means unless Dak and the team wants to go 9-10 year contract there is zero correlation to Dak.  And it might convince Dak that maybe a 5 year deal is not a bad thing

5 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Indeed. Hence why I didn't care if we signed him to 35-38 Million. It was only going to go up.

Dallas seems to be struggling lately with the whole timing of paying players.  For a long time they gave out crap contracts too late, now they seem to struggle with getting it right early.  Collins was a great sign, Jaylon TBD as last year was rough.  Dak should have been signed, and if they are really going to risk finding a better QB I think they are downplaying just how much luck goes into that. 

4 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Dallas seems to be struggling lately with the whole timing of paying players.  For a long time they gave out crap contracts too late, now they seem to struggle with getting it right early.  Collins was a great sign, Jaylon TBD as last year was rough.  Dak should have been signed, and if they are really going to risk finding a better QB I think they are downplaying just how much luck goes into that. 

We have a very different view.

Dallas has been really good about signing players early. Smith, Collins, etc.But their desire to set the market can burn them, see Crawford.

It just seems Dallas wanted years and Dak did not. Frankly, I don't think Dak bought into Dallas like other players have.

Dallas wants 7 years. Dak counters with 3.

Dallas wants 5 years. Dak counters with 4.

5 was a perfect medium. And now with Patty going for 12 years...(10+2)...it only signals Dallas was right that the length needs to be there.