Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

Wow... so much drama in here.  I actually respect both sides on this one.  Right now, I don’t believe Dak is worth the contract he’s demanding.  So, good for the cowboys for not giving in.  Dak put up great stats against horrible teams last year.  Against average and good teams, he was below average.  If Dak shows if can play great against good teams... Jerry will have to pay Dak.  But they are not there yet.

Dak thinks he’s on the verge of being a great nfl qb.  It’s up to him to go out and prove it this year.  If he does, he will get a huge contract next offseason.  

this is the perfect spot for a franchise tag.  I’m personally very happy that there’s a temporary middle ground.  It’s better than guaranteeing way too much of the cap to one player who might now be more than average.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29467620/no-deal-dak-prescott-cowboys-picking-winners-losers-dominoes

Losers: Us

The most likely scenario for Prescott's 2020 season is that he plays well enough to keep the Cowboys competitive without winning an MVP or the Super Bowl. If that happens, we're going to have all the same debates about Prescott we were having this offseason next year, too. Chances are that the people who are skeptical about Prescott now are still going to be skeptical of Prescott 12 months from now.

There is not enough liquor in the world for this

• Like 1

I’m not upset with this at all. Like I’ve said for the last 18 or so months, if we were that invested in him, we would’ve gotten a deal done. People can get wrapped up in that 4 or 5 year deal garbage all they want. It was never about the duration of time. It came down to the team not believing in him and him wanting more than what he’s really worth.

Coping skills, folks. Get some. He’s. Just. Not. That. Good. 

• Like 1

Well, no doubt about it.  He thought he was betting on himself last offseason?  Pssht, he and his agent just doubled-down hard. If this season even happens and the cap is still on the up and up is the first gamble.  With this top WR Corp, top-3 RB, above average (yet overrated) O-Line, Horse-teeth Wunderkind calling a diverse offense and finally a HC less inept than Garrett?  

Dak has piled his plate full and only has 1 season to do what Romo never could...get past the divisional rd of the playoffs.    I wish him well and I’ll be rooting for him (because it benefits the team) but if he doesn’t get it done...after turning down commensurate deals to focus on a mega-deal? Well, partner, you made your bed. 

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I’m not upset with this at all. Like I’ve said for the last 18 or so months, if we were that invested in him, we would’ve gotten a deal done. People can get wrapped up in that 4 or 5 year deal garbage all they want. It was never about the duration of time. It came down to the team not believing in him and him wanting more than what he’s really worth.

Coping skills, folks. Get some. He’s. Just. Not. That. Good. 

I feel the statistics train warming up again trying to prove you wrong.  It's not that tough.  I listed the projected starters and either put them ahead or behind him .  I ended up with him at 15.  He's good. Not great.  If we wouldnt pay him $35, we wont pay him $40+ next year.  

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Can't they tag him again in 2022 or no?

I'm no expert but I think if he gets tagged again next year he gets a 20% increase on this year's salary of $31 million taking him to $37 million and change.for 2021.  Then I think if no long term deal is reached he's free like Kirk Cousins.

7 minutes ago, Northland said:

I'm no expert but I think if he gets tagged again next year he gets a 20% increase on this year's salary of $31 million taking him to $37 million and change.for 2021.  Then I think if no long term deal is reached he's free like Kirk Cousins.

"But the Caps going up, 37 will be a steal in a year"

He gets the non exclusive tag next year. Go find some sucker willing to pay you and we'll take the picks. Should have got it this year

10 minutes ago, Northland said:

It's why the current deal offered didn't make sense for Dak.

Two years, nearly 70 M, all of which is guaranteed - and then gets to re-cash in once Watson & Russell re-set the market? Wise.