Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

That feels like a straw man argument. They were talking about wanting the extension done over a year ago, and Covid wasn't around yet.

I know, I just can't help but wonder if, in a normal year, the FO would have caved at the deadline as they have many other times. But, as Barnwell put it in the conclusion of the article I linked, this does ultimately come down to a fundamental disagreement on both sides about the quality of the player and both sides' desire to disprove the other.

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I know, I just can't help but wonder if, in a normal year, the FO would have caved at the deadline as they have many other times. But, as Barnwell put it in the conclusion of the article I linked, this does ultimately come down to a fundamental disagreement on both sides about the quality of the player and both sides' desire to disprove the other.

Yeah, it's always felt to me about the organization not having full faith in his abilities to lead the team on his own, and his heavier reliance on a supporting cast. I feel like a broken record at times, but I can't think of any other scenarios which would lead me to a different conclusion due to the length of time that these extension discussions have been going on. If the talks were only within the last ~6 months, then I'd argue that Covid-19 is playing a significant role. But we know that's not the case. If anything, the Jones's will merely use that as additional leverage to support their position.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

That feels like a straw man argument. They were talking about wanting the extension done over a year ago, and Covid wasn't around yet.

Dak's contract has always been complicated

Why wasn't he done after 2 years at the same time as Wentz? Well, he was coming off a 13-3 season as a game manager and a 9-7 season where he has mediocre stats. That didn't scream 30+ million like Wentz/Goff made. Easy to say in hindsight that was the time to strike a deal, but at the time the jury was still out

Then he came off 10-6 season 18 months ago and it was clear he was a good/capable QB but  Dak was wanting 35 million, which was steep considering he still had mediocre stats

I'll give Dak full credit for his stats last year (They were bonifide franchise QB stats) but the teams record was 8-8 and Dak stuck to wanting to be a 35+ million dollar guy on his terms

Throw in COVID and the values of 2 franchise tags being less than the AAV of the contract Dak was demanding and it just didn't make sense to give Dak a big deal. Jerry gets to keep the $$ in his bank account and pay Dak by the week. Dak sinks, and Jerry can cut bait easily, Dak swims and Jerry can just tag him again

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Yeah, it's always felt to me about the organization not having full faith in his abilities to lead the team on his own, and his heavier reliance on a supporting cast. I feel like a broken record at times, but I can't think of any other scenarios which would lead me to a different conclusion due to the length of time that these extension discussions have been going on. If the talks were only within the last ~6 months, then I'd argue that Covid-19 is playing a significant role. But we know that's not the case. If anything, the Jones's will merely use that as additional leverage to support their position.

Yeah I didn't realize the guy I quoted said COVID was the *only* reason, that's obviously not right. Just saying the cap potentially going down next year (while Dak's second tag number is  locked in at $37.7M) doesn't *not* factor into this. But really, that would have been motivation to go through it and get both his 2020 and '21 numbers down, if they fully believed in him.

The Joneses are also more in the know than we are about the likelihood the season is shortened, how much the cap is going to drop, revenues etc. If it had anything to do with it on the FO's side, I think it's a matter of cash, not cap.

So short term it does look like Dallas is saying that they don't believe Dak is the answer at QB.   That is certainly their prerogative. I say short term because who knows maybe Dak has a monster year and gets that deal from the Cowboys.   However something tells me that ship has sailed.  I'm not going to debate the merits or lack thereof of Dak anymore.  Lord knows we are at what 144 pages.  I will say this.  I don't know if I trust the personnel decisions of a franchise that has not come close to a championship in almost 25 years.  We find ourselves in some dubious company when it comes to the last quarter century of futility.  Drama and Dallas goes hand in hand, however gambling with the QB spot is questionable to put it mildly.

• Like 1

Dak has 50 million in endorsements for being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. If we ever win a Super Bowl with him at the helm that number would double in the least. He is no idiot and if playing for a winner matters and money matters the Cowboys will be the only place but he will have to factor endorsement money into his bottom line regardless of the team he plays for. 

However, it is worth noting that Prescott rakes in over $50million in off the field endorsements according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. This, of course, is a benefit of playing for America's Team. In his three years as starting quarterback for Dallas, Prescott has never missed a game.Se

16 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

However, it is worth noting that Prescott rakes in over $50million in off the field endorsements according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. This, of course, is a benefit of playing for America's Team. In his three years as starting quarterback for Dallas, Prescott has never missed a game.Se

One of the reasons I hope he ends up in Jacksonville wondering where all that free money went to

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Thats already been disproved 400 times. He made roughly $3m last year in endorsements. The rest of it was an insurance policy incase he had a career ending injury. 

Brady topped off the league at ~$3.5m

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats already been disproved 400 times. He made roughly $3m last year in endorsements. The rest of it was an insurance policy incase he had a career ending injury. 

Brady topped off the league at ~$3.5m

3.5 Million seems low. NBA players seem to make so much more. That is interesting.

You know, I'm going to be honest. I don't have the 1st damn clue as to why Dallas should sign Dak or not, at least as far as you all are texting.

But what I do know is this, we had Aikman, then a host of zeros, then Romo, and now Prescott.

Things could be a whole lot worse.

But looks like you all know better because Dak hasn't produced a Lombardi trophy yet.

Okay, roll the dice.

I hope you all take it right in the arse!!!

This kid has balled out to the best of his ability with everyone second guessing him the whole way.

WTF kind of fan are you??? Let's get rid of our QB, for what? A sure thing???

Yeah, that happens.

Get on board with your guy. Show your support. THIS is when you need to be A fan! That critical moment that maybe puts him over the top. Support your team and it's QB!

Maybe he's not just some stop gag, or hold over, maybe hes the guy. Just one time.

But show up damn it! Where I come from, a fan isn't fair weather. You all want to quit on this kid because?????

It's okay, i'll wait.

7 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

You know, I'm going to be honest. I don't have the 1st damn clue as to why Dallas should sign Dak or not, at least as far as you all are texting.

But what I do know is this, we had Aikman, then a host of zeros, then Romo, and now Prescott.

Things could be a whole lot worse.

But looks like you all know better because Dak hasn't produced a Lombardi trophy yet.

Okay, roll the dice.

I hope you all take it right in the arse!!!

This kid has balled out to the best of his ability with everyone second guessing him the whole way.

WTF kind of fan are you??? Let's get rid of our QB, for what? A sure thing???

Yeah, that happens.

Get on board with your guy. Show your support. THIS is when you need to be A fan! That critical moment that maybe puts him over the top. Support your team and it's QB!

Maybe he's not just some stop gag, or hold over, maybe hes the guy. Just one time.

But show up damn it! Where I come from, a fan isn't fair weather. You all want to quit on this kid because?????

It's okay, i'll wait.

It’s time to remind you what your username is.  Try to be a little rational.  So Jerry should have just paid Dak whatever Dak wanted?  Jerry should have just caved in no matter what Dak was asking for?  Is that how you think business is run?  Jerry made very competitive offers; Dak said no.  Right now both sides are happy.  Dak is getting huge money next year.  Jerry gets one more year to evaluate.  What’s the problem?  

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

It’s time to remind you what your username is.  Try to be a little rational.  So Jerry should have just paid Dak whatever Dak wanted?  Jerry should have just caved in no matter what Dak was asking for?  Is that how you think business is run?  Jerry made very competitive offers; Dak said no.  Right now both sides are happy.  Dak is getting huge money next year.  Jerry gets one more year to evaluate.  What’s the problem?  

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

Im not talking about paying him as much as keeping him. It sounds to me like everyone just wants to trade him and get a new QB.

I get they need to work out a deal. But it looks like everyone on here just flat out wants to move on from him. 

Why?

5 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Im not talking about paying him as much as keeping him. It sounds to me like everyone just wants to trade him and get a new QB.

I get they need to work out a deal. But it looks like everyone on here just flat out wants to move on from him. 

Why?

Because they go hand in hand

I LOVE Dak at 25 Million, I think Dak is OK at 30 Million. I think he would struggle (and thus the team as well) at 35 Million. (That 10 Million invested in surrounding talent will make Dak a better QB. It will help us keep Gallup, or Collins, or Cooper, or fit a guy like Adams on the roster, etc, etc) I see the way Dak has handled this negotiation and I can tell had Jerry caved to the 4 year deal, Dak would want to reset the market again next time he was up (Think 45-50 Million or more). I see this being an ongoing problem

I don't think Dak can be a good QB if we have to lose the weapons that he so far has proven he can't win without (or with, depending on who you ask) We've seen him without Zeke, Without Cooper, down an Olineman, etc. The results haven't been great

So, at the prospect of constantly having to re-up Dak at top of the market prices, for a guy who is not a top of the market QB, I'd just rather move on and try to get a guy with a higher ceiling, on a low cost deal for 4-5 years where we can surround that guy with talent, and possibly have that guy be worth top of the market $$, or be willing to sign a fair, reasonable deal to keep the talent around him. This doesn't have to exclusively be a shot in the dark rookie either. Cam/Dalton/Bridgewater were all QB's who can play and succeed with the offensive roster we have, at significantly lower prices

Get it?

Edited by TheGame316
  • Like 1