Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

34 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I don’t think that it does. They landed on “elite trailer” in that segment and I think that’s how most would reasonably assess Dak. He does everything right from an intangible standpoint that puts those pieces around him in a position to succeed, but he still needs those pieces to be pretty good across the board.

I feel like that caliber of QB does probably go for $35M/yr on the open market, especially given his youth and durability. Only need one team. 

There is always a team willing to spend.

Does the team that spends $40 mill on Dak become an instant contender?

51 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

There is always a team willing to spend.

Does the team that spends $40 mill on Dak become an instant contender?

Of course not. Which is why it’d have to be a team like Denver or maybe Tennessee that can reasonably say they have good talent outside of that position. Whether said talent would be enough if Dallas’ wasn’t is not for me to decide.

Paying Dak isn’t about making us a contender, it’s about preventing all hell from breaking loose in the next two years. I’m as skeptical of Dak as anyone but the fact of the matter is that guy’s teammates would run through a wall for him, it’s hard to overstate that.

Our team is in a pretty serious bind. I don’t know why anyone would trust them to go back into the QB wilderness, I don’t wanna tank next year for Lawrence. But if our FO thought Dak was anything close to a Rodgers or Wilson level QB this deal would be done by now. The tacit admission that he’s not makes for some palpable tension

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Our team is in a pretty serious bind. I don’t know why anyone would trust them to go back into the QB wilderness, I don’t wanna tank next year for Lawrence.

Just think how close Dallas is to being in QB purgatory. If they had gotten their wish and traded back into rd 1 and they'd have saddled themselves to Paxton Lynch. They were also hot for Connor Cook.  That's not to say this is a reason to pay Dak $40m/yr or whatever, but insinuating Dallas should just trade him and/or sign Bridgewater and all will be ok is naive at best. 

But if our FO thought Dak was anything close to a Rodgers or Wilson level QB this deal would be done by now. The tacit admission that he’s not makes for some palpable tension

I'd disagree with this. I believe the organization has made it clear Dak is their man going forward, while also making it clear they have no intentions of setting the  market for any player.  

Edited by WizardHawk

I hope that a lot of this is just postering by his agent who job it is to get Dak the largest contract he can.   I just finale is it interesting that this gets “leaked” just days after Jerry says they won’t be a market setter which 40 would mean.  

Either way I am a little bummed. I was hoping 25 range at one time then we quickly hit 30 with QB’s who haven’t even proved themselves any more then Dak.  So now I guess I can hope for 32-33

53 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Put a 1st round tender on Dak at the end of the year. If he signs elsewhere we have the right to match or we get a 1st round pick

Then we will find out what the "market" really is, and so will he

How would you put a first round tender on him? Unless you are from the future and know he gets hurt the next couple weeks.
(If you are; hey...did I ever do my work and stop procrastinating by coming to the Cowboys Forum this much?)

No you mean the non-exclusive franchise tag? 

NON-EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE TAG: The non-exclusive Franchise Tag is the Tag that is used most often. It does not preclude the player from negotiating with other teams, but does allow the player’s present team to match any offer sheet or receive two first round draft picks if they decline to match. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:22 AM, Kiltman said:

I agree, I think after writing them all down...the Titans are the only fit. Vrabel and the GM would be nearing their last chance by then. Him being a former player he would probably value the “he’s just a winner, man” thing with Dak.

LMFAO!

If you don't know something about a franchise, don't try to pass it off as if you do.

Vrabel may pan out or he may not, but Jon Robinson took us from a top 5 pick team into a playoff contender. Regardless of Vrabel, he's not going anywhere. But the fact that you don't even know his name makes it clear you don't understand the dynamic for that franchise.

59 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

LMFAO!

If you don't know something about a franchise, don't try to pass it off as if you do.

Vrabel may pan out or he may not, but Jon Robinson took us from a top 5 pick team into a playoff contender. Regardless of Vrabel, he's not going anywhere. But the fact that you don't even know his name makes it clear you don't understand the dynamic for that franchise.

Calm down Ruskie, it's not that serious

I'm in the Cowboys forum, I don't expect them to know  Robinson's name...and why should they?
Taking an awful team and turning them into a middle of the road AFC wildcard team isn't a newsworthy feat outside of Tennessee. 

Was just spitballing who, of the 32 teams, might have some level of interest. With various factors having to happen for each.

I like a lot of what they've done, but if Mariota continues to get hurt and doesn't continue to get better...
Is Tannehill really going to lead them past the good team's in the AFC?
Probably not.

Therefore they would be in limbo, Mariota being shut down or just too unreliable to pay.
Good enough roster to not pick top ten, easy enough to beat to stay in the middle. 
In that state, if Dak was a FA next year to 2 years from now.....Would the titans go after him hard with really no better options?
Or would they ust trade the farm to go get a guy in the draft? Potentially losing the talent they built on offense and defense to time and Free Agency?
Even the greatest GMs have only so long until they deliver. And in those times of desperation , signing a guy like Dak makes a lot of sense to them.
"A guy who just wins and who stays healthy" would be a change from Mariota if he continues to get banged up.

11 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

Put a 1st round tender on Dak at the end of the year. If he signs elsewhere we have the right to match or we get a 1st round pick

Then we will find out what the "market" really is, and so will he

Have to play less than 3 seasons for a tender. So he isnt eligible. 

Definitive Guide to Defending Dak to the Haters

Step 1 - Show that he is pretty good:

Daks league-wide rankings in 2016-18, 32 games played minimum

• 8th in passer rating

• 11th in ANY/A

• 6th in CMP%

• 5th in INTs

• 7th in combined TDs

• 2nd in wins

• 1st in GWD

PFR

Step 2 - Refute "the best supporting cast ever" argument:

1. Starting Falcons '17 through 2018 the pressure rate on Dak DOUBLED

2. F.O. ranked us the #28 worst pass blocking OL in 2018

3. PFF ranked us #22 pass blocking OL in 2018, but the 27th worst at giving up sacks/pressures

4. NFL.com rated our WR's DEAD LAST at getting open in 2018, excluding Amari Cooper

5. Zeke was #22 in facing a stacked box (25% of the time). The notion that "Dak has it easy because defenses focus on Zeke" is verifiable false.

Step 3 - Show how the above affected him:

Source 1

Source 2

Step 4 - If they bring up Romo:

Prescott’s stats 2016-18: 96 passer rating, 66.1% completion percentage, 67 passing touchdowns, 7.52 adjusted yards per attempt

Tony Romo’s stats 2010-12: 95.7 passer rating, 66.4% completion percentage, 70 passing touchdowns, 7.57 adjusted yards per attempt

Source

Step 5 - Accolades:

• Rookie of the Year (2016)

• 32-16 regular season record

• 1-2 playoff record

• Been to Divisional Round twice

• 2 NFC East titles

• 2-Time Pro Bowler

• First player in NFL history with 20+ passing TDs & 5+ rushing TDs in each of his first 3 seasons

• 7th most wins all time for a 3rd year QB

• 5th most TDs all time for a 3rd year QB

• Highest passer rating when tied in the 4th/overtime in the past 25 years

• Most game winning drives since entering the league on the 8th fewest opportunities

Step 6 - the Meme:

Explain that you know he isnt worth $40m/yr. Thats not the point. The point is that he is a franchise QB and deserves a contract that pays him as such.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2