Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I think it would be a gamble. I too would probably use the non-exclusive. But there are a lot of QB hungry teams that have a lot of $$. It could just as easily blow up in our face. Did you see the tweet were a Colts exec (allegedly) said they wouldnt bat an eye at giving Dak $35m/yr? Think about a team like the Dolphins. If they could get a QB and keep most of their draft capital, that would be worth a lot of money to them. 

I’d happily take two 1sts from Miami. Next year’s first could very well be the #1 overall pick given how little talent that team has.

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I’d happily take two 1sts from Miami. Next year’s first could very well be the #1 overall pick given how little talent that team has.

You know my stance on Dak, so you know that I dont believe there will ever be a chance in hell that he will QB a team to the #1 pick. Which is what you are proposing. 

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You know my stance on Dak, so you know that I dont believe there will ever be a chance in hell that he will QB a team to the #1 pick. Which is what you are proposing. 

Miami has virtually zero talent across the entire team. Very few individual players in the history of the league have the ability to lift a team and carry them for an entire season. And we know that we don’t have that guy given his play over his career, so he’d fare much worse given the massive dropoff in talent in Miami. No running game, no o-line, and no receivers. They’d be lucky to put up 10 points a game.

Edited by plan9misfit

Just now, plan9misfit said:

Miami has virtually zero talent across the entire team. Very few individual players in the history of the league have the ability to life a team and carry them for an entire season. And we know that we don’t have that guy given his play over his career, so he’d fare much worse given the massive dropoff in talent in Miami. No running game, no o-line, and no receivers. They’re lucky to put up 10 points a game.

And yet they beat the Eagles and Pats. Something that puts a smile on my face.

With Dak at QB they would be no less than a 6 win team. Which is never going to get you the #1 overall. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

And yet they beat the Eagles and Pats. Something that puts a smile on my face.

With Dak at QB they would be no less than a 6 win team. Which is never going to get you the #1 overall. 

I honestly don’t believe that, but the 5th overall pick next year would be fine, too. Trevor Lawrence wouldn’t be out of reach at that spot.

I know paying Dak would be the ethical decision. But 

worst case scenario? Dak leaves and we don’t look great at all because he is in fact a good QB but

we might do so bad that we get Lawrence.

So...

Im not saying we should tank but it’s a win either way. If we waana win big you gotta put all your chips in.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think it would be a gamble. I too would probably use the non-exclusive. But there are a lot of QB hungry teams that have a lot of $$. It could just as easily blow up in our face. Did you see the tweet were a Colts exec (allegedly) said they wouldnt bat an eye at giving Dak $35m/yr? Think about a team like the Dolphins. If they could get a QB and keep most of their draft capital, that would be worth a lot of money to them. 

It would cost the Dolphins/Colts, etc their 2 1sts, which would be draft capital cost prohibitive for most teams. Paying Dak 35 AND losing their 2 1sts? I don't see it happening and if it does, it wouldn't be done by a well run franchise that has late picks. These picks could have top 15 potential, which makes it even more cost prohibitive for them

Use the non-exclusive, Let Dak float out there and not get the offers. Faced with 1 year 27 million, he eats his pie and comes back to the table at a reasonable 32 long term with large guarantees. Some idiot offers 35? I take a look at the pick projections before I match. Nobodies going to offer Dak the 38/39/40 he (allegedly) thinks he's worth

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

It would cost the Dolphins/Colts, etc their 2 1sts, which would be draft capital cost prohibitive for most teams. Paying Dak 35 AND losing their 2 1sts? I don't see it happening and if it does, it wouldn't be done by a well run franchise that has late picks. These picks could have top 15 potential, which makes it even more cost prohibitive for them

Use the non-exclusive, Let Dak float out there and not get the offers. Faced with 1 year 27 million, he eats his pie and comes back to the table at a reasonable 32 long term with large guarantees. Some idiot offers 35? I take a look at the pick projections before I match. Nobodies going to offer Dak the 38/39/40 he (allegedly) thinks he's worth

Exactly. Few teams would be foolish enough to give him that kind of contract and cough up two 1sts. And you’re correct: teams which makes those decisions are typically poorly run organizations. Just like ours was when we gave up two 1sts for Joey Galloway. 

26 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:
52 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Exactly. Few teams would be foolish enough to give him that kind of contract and cough up two 1sts. And you’re correct: teams which makes those decisions are typically poorly run organizations. Just like ours was when we gave up two 1sts for Joey Galloway. 

I think you two are severely underestimating how easily teams trade 1st round picks. Especially when they are desperate for a QB. Jalen Ramesy got 2 1st and a 4th in his worst year in the NFL. And the Rams will make him the highest paid CB in NFL history - - - in a year where you could argue he wasnt a top 20 DB. 

Edited by Matts4313

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think you two are severely underestimating how easily teams trade 1st round picks. Especially when they are desperate for a QB. Jalen Ramesy got 2 1st and a 4th in his worst year in the NFL. And the Rams will make him the highest paid CB in NFL history - - - in a year where you could argue he wasnt a top 20 DB. 

See above post about poorly run organizations

Outlook does not look good for the Rams going forward

Edited by TheGame316
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

I have no opposition whatsoever for one team to come out of the woodwork and make an offer

I think you are maybe missing what I am saying. I am saying some team is going to offer 2 first and a really absurd contract.... And we are going to be forced to match the absurd contract. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think you are maybe missing what I am saying. I am saying some team is going to offer 2 first and a really absurd contract.... And we are going to be forced to match the absurd contract. 

I'm saying the likely hood of an absurd contract being made by a poorly run and desperate team is high and I will gladly take their picks from them. 2 1sts this year and 2 1sts next year, including ours is all the ammunition we will ever need to take any QB that we want, then have him play 4 years on a rookie deal while we surround the rest of the team with talent

11 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

I'm saying the likely hood of an absurd contract being made by a poorly run and desperate team is high and I will gladly take their picks from them. 2 1sts this year and 2 1sts next year, including ours is all the ammunition we will ever need to take any QB that we want, then have him play 4 years on a rookie deal while we surround the rest of the team with talent

I know your stance. But this has 0 chance of ever happening. Dak is the Cowboys QB. For a long time. He is 26... And the recent trend of QBs playing past 35 means you should get used to this idea being at least 9 years.