Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

Both my kids will graduate college before Dak is no longer the QB of the Cowboys. 50% of us will no longer be posters. Some will just get bored, some will quit because they cant stand @plan9misfit wit and general dissatisfaction. Jerry (and some of us) will be dead before Dak is gone. 

This is a fact of life that @TheGame316 and @5x10 need to accept. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I know your stance. But this has 0 chance of ever happening. Dak is the Cowboys QB. For a long time. He is 26... And the recent trend of QBs playing past 35 means you should get used to this idea being at least 9 years.

Thats fine. I don't have as big a problem with Dak as QB as you think. But that doesn't mean just because he's "The Guy" that he automatically gets 40 million, no if's ands or buts, and that Jerry/Stephen are "Idiots" because they don't have Dak signed yet

If Dak is insistent that he is worth 38/39/40 million, then he's going to have to find a team willing to pay him that. I personally don't think that team exists. And when it's all said and done and the best offer he has is 35 million from the Bucs, then he and his agent will have to decide if 32 million and being the Cowboys starting QB is better or worse than 35 and being the Bucs QB, State Taxes, Endorsements, National Coverage, etc all factored in

So far from what I’ve read IMO if either side says 34 ish it’s a done deal.  Cowboys 30 offer was too low.  I also don’t think Dak responded with 40, 37 maybe.  If we offer non exclusive that’s 27 or so and it’s a slap considering what Goff and Wentz got. And Dak will not show up to camp and. Mostly likely take a offer from some one else for 35.

Exclusive might save face and allow Dak to play but if we get there that to me means that we didn’t go over 34.   

50 minutes ago, quiller said:

So far from what I’ve read IMO if either side says 34 ish it’s a done deal.  Cowboys 30 offer was too low.  I also don’t think Dak responded with 40, 37 maybe.  If we offer non exclusive that’s 27 or so and it’s a slap considering what Goff and Wentz got. And Dak will not show up to camp and. Mostly likely take a offer from some one else for 35.

Exclusive might save face and allow Dak to play but if we get there that to me means that we didn’t go over 34.   

Or, slap the Exclusive tag on him and trade him, anyway.

• Like 1

Would not be totally against that ten year deal.   But prefer the three year at say 36 option if not willing to the typical 5-7 year 35 which is what it might take.   

either way clock is ticking and this will be decided real soon 6 days to sign or franchise tag.   And the tag is most probable now and I will think exclusive ...

On 3/4/2020 at 9:33 AM, Matts4313 said:

Isn't that what Tyron got on his deal? 9 or 10 years?

I remember being mad at him, because he could've got more money per year if he didn't take such a long deal.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I remember being mad at him, because he could've got more money per year if he didn't take such a long deal.

He got an 8 year extension which made his contract 10 years.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

BTW I haven't been paying any attention to the Dak contract news. Do you guys think a long term deal will get done this year or will it drag on to 2021?

I think it will get done this year. The Cowboys have said Dak is the #1 priority this offseason and have started meeting with his agent again. Rumors are weve already bumped the GTD money from ~80-90m to somewhere in the ~105-115m range. 

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:
15 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Ah okay. Yeah... I still think you guys got the better of that deal.

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think it will get done this year. The Cowboys have said Dak is the #1 priority this offseason and have started meeting with his agent again. Rumors are weve already bumped the GTD money from ~80-90m to somewhere in the ~105-115m range. 

I mean you have the $ to pay him whatever he wants. Just need to find a meeting place that both sides are comfortable with and finalize. I think it does more bad than good waiting another year and making Dak unhappy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

This is why the salary cap needs to be structured more efficiently. QB salaries have risen faster than the increase to the cap. So, either the cap should go away entirely, or it should be restructured to where QB salaries are calculated differently against it. 

27 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

This is why the salary cap needs to be structured more efficiently. QB salaries have risen faster than the increase to the cap. So, either the cap should go away entirely, or it should be restructured to where QB salaries are calculated differently against it. 

Nah. Then you get teams that have the Mahomes/Manning/Brady's of the world and get to pay them on a discount. 

Franchise QBs continue to hover around 15% of the cap. 

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nah. Then you get teams that have the Mahomes/Manning/Brady's of the world and get to pay them on a discount. 

Franchise QBs continue to hover around 15% of the cap. 

And they used to be 12%. Again, their salaries are rising at a faster rate than the cap is. Multiple outlets have stated that on NFL Radio programs. Eventually, it won’t be worth paying a AB top dollar because he’s eating too much of the cap.

23 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

And they used to be 12%. Again, their salaries are rising at a faster rate than the cap is. Multiple outlets have stated that on NFL Radio programs. Eventually, it won’t be worth paying a AB top dollar because he’s eating too much of the cap.

Going all the way back to Steve young they have hit 15%. Aikman, elway, Marino, Manning, Brady, Brees, big Ben --- all hit 15% or more