Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Yup. There are moves that could have been made to bring back Quinn and Jones in addition to the moves already made and still fit in Dak's contract. The front office opted not to make them. 

Because it involved restructures and limited flexibility in the roster once complete.

That has a lot to do with our $35m QB. 

I'm not saying it was a bad decision, but you have to recognize how a Dak, Zeke, and Amari played a HUGE role in the decision to let Byron go. And the bigger the AAV the bigger the role.

Edited by DaBoys

8 hours ago, D82 said:

1. Dak is a good QB who showed flashes of greatness throughout his career. He seemed to put it together last year and played really well for most of the season. There's promise he's only going to get better with maturity (see Romo). 

2. The cap is going to grow tremendously over the next few years. Dak being paid as the top player in the NFL this year is going to look like peanuts in two or three years. Paying him market value now is not going to prohibit us from fielding a competitive team. It only prevents us from doing so if the front office decides to play cheap. 

3. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees. Joe Burrow and the rest of the guys from this class may look promising, but one or two or maybe none will end up panning out. You know what you have in Dak, he's led you to the playoffs twice. You pay the guy. 

Why is this so hard and a continuing argument for multiple pages? 

Because the Jones's are not trying to line their pockets with extra cash, they want to win a SB period. As much as we all dislike Jerry and what he's done you cannot deny he's obsessed with the idea of getting another Lombardi to move out of Jimmy's shadow.

We know their motivation for wanting a better deal for the team. I fail to see how Dak is factoring this in with a SB run when squabbling over what appears to be just a year on the contract debates. It may seem petty to you on the Jones's part but I actually believe they are trying to work themselves into a position to win it all by maximizing the amount of talent we have. Where as Dak seems to only be interested in getting top dollar. That is not the kind of guy you can bank on to win a SB with. The Packers should have won another SB or two but Rodgers contract has choked them many times on the options they have.

And before we start defending Dak only protecting his best interest (which is fair enough), we need to do whats best for our team in the playoff run. I also hold this resentment against Zeke and to some other extent Amari as well as DLaw. Amari less so since we have a way of getting out of that contract.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

But we would be up against the cap if we did, and that has a ton to do with Dak. They knew this. YOU know that. To say that letting Byron walk had nothing to do with Dak and Amari lacks foresight.

I'm sure it does to some extent, but Dallas also left options on the table. There were restructures and Crawford still sitting there if need be. They chose not to use them for whatever reason.

As far as letting Jones walk, you and I hated the move, but can you recall at any point he was even on the radar to be re-signed over the past 2 seasons? Maybe if RM/KR had stuck around he would have been, but once the new regime came in it seemed a given he was gone. 

32 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm sure it does to some extent, but Dallas also left options on the table. There were restructures and Crawford still sitting there if need be. They chose not to use them for whatever reason.

As far as letting Jones walk, you and I hated the move, but can you recall at any point he was even on the radar to be re-signed over the past 2 seasons? Maybe if RM/KR had stuck around he would have been, but once the new regime came in it seemed a given he was gone. 

I don't understand Tyrone Crawford. How has he lasted through two regimes

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I would start fielding offers and seeing if we can get #5 from Miami.

You ask for all three of their 1st round picks, not just #5. If they're willing to give them up for a rookie, then you push for that and then some for our QB....whether he's worth it or not. Always ask for more than you're actually willing to accept.

If they came to us, I'd literally tell them that I want all five of their top picks: 5, 18, 26, 39, and 56, and go from there.

3 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

You ask for all three of their 1st round picks, not just #5. If they're willing to give them up for a rookie, then you push for that and then some for our QB....whether he's worth it or not. Always ask for more than you're actually willing to accept.

If they came to us, I'd literally tell them that I want all five of their top picks: 5, 18, 26, 39, and 56, and go from there.

For sure. My comment wasnt around what we would ask for but more what could we get.

The ability to get Herbert or Tua at 5 while saving $35 million a year for the next 4 years, I am ok with. If Miami was hell bent on not moving one of their other picks this year, I would ask for one of their 1sts next.

19 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

What's the least you would take, out of curiosity....?

7 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

What's the least you would take, out of curiosity....?

This is going to sound weird, but here me out: it depends on which team is making the offer. I'd be more willing to accept fewer draft picks from teams with higher draft picks than teams with lower draft picks. If it's Miami, I'd want all three of their 1st round picks because that's what they've been rumored to be willing to give up for the #1 overall pick.

I also likely wouldn't do anything until Miami is on the clock at 5 to ensure that a player we want is still on the board. I highly doubt we'd want to make the trade early and then use those picks to trade up for Chase Young. I can't see giving up those picks to a division rival.

Edited by plan9misfit

2 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

This is going to sound weird, but here me out: it depends on which team is making the offer. I'd be more willing to accept fewer draft picks from teams with higher draft picks than teams with lower draft picks. If it's Miami, I'd want all three of their 1st round picks because that's what they've been rumored to be willing to give up for the #1 overall pick.

Just using the Miami example, If they offered 5 and 18 you'd say no?

Personally, I'd want to get 5, but I'd be happy with 18, 39 and 56 as a worst case. I'd try to lump these together and move up for Tua or Herbert. I'd use a later pick on Love and couple him with an experienced backup if the first scenario didn't work out.  I just want no part of Dak at 35 million. I think it's signing us up for 4-6 years of QB purgatory

1 minute ago, TheGame316 said:

Just using the Miami example, If they offered 5 and 18 you'd say no?

Personally, I'd want to get 5, but I'd be happy with 18, 39 and 56 as a worst case. I'd try to lump these together and move up for Tua or Herbert. I'd use a later pick on Love and couple him with an experienced backup if the first scenario didn't work out.  I just want no part of Dak at 35 million. I think it's signing us up for 4-6 years of QB purgatory

If that's their opening offer, I'd absolutely say no; and it's because they'd be willing to give up more. Under no circumstance should anyone ever accept an opening offer in a negotiation.

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

If that's their opening offer, I'd absolutely say no; and it's because they'd be willing to give up more. Under no circumstance should anyone ever accept an opening offer in a negotiation.

I'm not suggesting that would be their opening offer. I'm saying assuming you were the one calling them and you were motivated to move Dak for picks, what is the least you would accept vs keeping Dak and paying him the 35+ he's holding out for

Just now, TheGame316 said:

I'm not suggesting that would be their opening offer. I'm saying assuming you were the one calling them and you were motivated to move Dak for picks, what is the least you would accept vs keeping Dak and paying him the 35+ he's holding out for

Oh, that's a different situation. I'm sorry for misunderstanding what you were asking. If I'm the one reaching out to Miami, then I'd probably accept 5 and 18 depending on who was available at 5. As an example, if Isaiah Simmons or (by some miracle) Chase Young falls to 5, I'd be more likely to select one of them at 5, and then wait for Tua or Justin Herbert to drop to 17 and weigh my options at that point because I'd have back-to-back selections.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Oh, that's a different situation. I'm sorry for misunderstanding what you were asking. If I'm the one reaching out to Miami, then I'd probably accept 5 and 18 depending on who was available at 5. As an example, if Isaiah Simmons or (by some miracle) Chase Young falls to 5, I'd be more likely to select one of them at 5, and then wait for Tua or Justin Herbert to drop to 17 and weigh my options at that point because I'd have back-to-back selections.

If they selected a NonQB at 5 then came to us at 16 and offered 18, 26 and next years 1st I would be enticed. 

• Like 1