Which team do you think is overrated and will underachieve?

DigInBoys

17 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Maybe the Chargers or the Saints?  Both are good teams and should do well, but could one of those old QB's have a "Peytonesque" drop off this season?

Another possibility could be the Eagles.  Again, a very good team, but they have a lot riding on how Wentz comes back.

Peyton has his drop-off because he had a noteworthy injury that further resulted in nerve issues.  Rivers hasn't had a noteworthy injury since he played the Pats in the playoffs with a torn ACL.  And Brees hasn't, to my memory, had one since he was a Charger and the shoulder injury was the issue.  Either way, we're talking pretty much a decade since either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Peyton has his drop-off because he had a noteworthy injury that further resulted in nerve issues.  Rivers hasn't had a noteworthy injury since he played the Pats in the playoffs with a torn ACL.  And Brees hasn't, to my memory, had one since he was a Charger and the shoulder injury was the issue.  Either way, we're talking pretty much a decade since either.

True, but like my Great Uncle used to say about getting old: "the years are there, and you can't change that."  I'm not saying it will definitely happen for either one of them, but the years are there for both of them.  Saints fans were saying that Brees was starting to show his age last year.  Rivers came out in the same draft as Eli and we all know where he is at.  Then again, as you said, both of them could be just fine and have their best year ever.  I acknowledge that possibility as well.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

True, but like my Great Uncle used to say about getting old: "the years are there, and you can't change that."  I'm not saying it will definitely happen for either one of them, but the years are there for both of them.  Saints fans were saying that Brees was starting to show his age last year.  Rivers came out in the same draft as Eli and we all know where he is at.  Then again, as you said, both of them could be just fine and have their best year ever.  I acknowledge that possibility as well.

Eli and Ben started nearly 2 more years than Rivers. The drop is sudden with age. But honestly Rivers has looked more athletic than ever before. His arm looks about the same.

I think with the rules in the NFL, QBs are gonna play alot longer at a higher quality for awhile. I can see 3 or 4 of the active QBs in their late 30's playing at 42 to 43. But who knows, age is undefeated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The years are also there for Tom Brady... and yet he's conspicuously absent from this number.  Just saying.  Rivers' 3/4-motion, last I was aware from people that actually studied kinesthetics, actually will have caused less stress on his shoulder than guys throwing with a full-motion or a pitcher's delivery.  Brees' throwing has obviously been scaled back, but when he's been asked to rifle it in there, he's shown he can still do it.  Of the two, he's perhaps more likely to go "cooked-pasta-arm" like Peyton did, but there's legitimately no telling how much of Peyton's loss of strength in the arm was due to a CNS issue or cumulative stress on the joint and surrounding ligaments.

I'm not saying I can't see a scenario in which the Chargers stagnate or take a step backwards this season because of Rivers, but that scenario being triggered by physical diminishing simply wouldn't be close to the reason, it would be - as it has been in the past - Rivers pressing too much to compensate - as he is want to feel the need to do - for the running game not having a force opposition feels the need to gameplan for or that is capable of flat out taking over a game.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

The years are also there for Tom Brady... and yet he's conspicuously absent from this number.  Just saying.  Rivers' 3/4-motion, last I was aware from people that actually studied kinesthetics, actually will have caused less stress on his shoulder than guys throwing with a full-motion or a pitcher's delivery.  Brees' throwing has obviously been scaled back, but when he's been asked to rifle it in there, he's shown he can still do it.  Of the two, he's perhaps more likely to go "cooked-pasta-arm" like Peyton did, but there's legitimately no telling how much of Peyton's loss of strength in the arm was due to a CNS issue or cumulative stress on the joint and surrounding ligaments.

I'm not saying I can't see a scenario in which the Chargers stagnate or take a step backwards this season because of Rivers, but that scenario being triggered by physical diminishing simply wouldn't be close to the reason, it would be - as it has been in the past - Rivers pressing too much to compensate - as he is want to feel the need to do - for the running game not having a force opposition feels the need to gameplan for or that is capable of flat out taking over a game.

Fair enough.  You know a lot more about the Chargers than I do.  I have no ill will toward them. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, Bolts223 said:

Rams are in trouble if Goff doesn't improve in his ability to read defenses without McVay whispering into his ear. The Pats pretty much showed the entire league on the biggest stage how you shut their offense down.

That’s what they said last year wtf. 

Specially after the Vikings game where Zimmer waited after the 15 second cut off, and their D went into a different set. This crap and narrative is getting super old. Goff is an elite QB. Yet he gets ish on because people are non creative with their opinions on what’s actually false! Dude went into the saints home turf in which they were undefeated with no run game and no cooper Kupp! And brought us back and put us in prime position to win in OT.

He’s a 24 year old stud who ish the bed against the greatest sports dynasty ever. Phillips Rivers looked like Nathan Peterman against them! Yet there’s no backlash! Sheesh. 

Edited by ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

On 8/12/2019 at 8:58 PM, warrenblue said:

Browns. They're not winning the division and I wouldn't be surprised if the finish 4th in the AFC north even behind the Bengals.

They're like the 2013 Lakers with Nash, Kobe, Artest, Gasol and Howard. Too much hype, ego and no substance.

No substance? That doesn't make sense. Best rookie QB by far from last year. One of the best rookie RBs from last year. Best rookie CB from last year. Myles Garrett. OBJ. Hunt. Landry. Randall.

A decent O-Line./ A great receiving group. Great running back group. Great pass rushing group. Decent LBs. Very good secondary. Where do they lack substance?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No substance? That doesn't make sense. Best rookie QB by far from last year. One of the best rookie RBs from last year. Best rookie CB from last year. Myles Garrett. OBJ. Hunt. Landry. Randall.

A decent O-Line./ A great receiving group. Great running back group. Great pass rushing group. Decent LBs. Very good secondary. Where do they lack substance?

I think the big question for the Browns is the coaching staff.

25 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Specially after the Vikings game where Zimmer waited after the 15 second cut off, and their D went into a different set. This crap and narrative is getting super old. Goff is an elite QB. Yet he gets ish on because people are non creative with their opinions on what’s actually false! Dude went into the saints home turf in which they were undefeated with no run game and no cooper Kupp! And brought us back and put us in prime position to win in OT.

He’s a 24 year old stud who ish the bed against the greatest sports dynasty ever. Phillips Rivers looked like Nathan Peterman against them! Yet there’s no backlash! Sheesh. 

I don't like that your new handle makes me think of Bananas, playboi.

11 minutes ago, Starless said:

I think the big question for the Browns is the coaching staff.

On the defensive side? I think we all saw what happened to the Browns offense when Freddie took over. I have zero concerns on that side of the ball. He is also huge on special teams preparation. The defense has done really well in camp but Freddie has been letting them know what play the offense is running (besides the 2 minute drill) so while that will give the offense a real challenge it doesn't seem like it is the best idea for the defense as far as read and react.

The offense should be well prepared and actually get an easier challenge in actual games which hopefully leads to early leads and letting the pass rushers do their thing. It also should be a good coverage defense so my main concern is stopping the run. I can see the Browns being anywhere from decent against the run all the way to bad which is the only aspect of the team that should have the possibility of being below average. Well, that and kicker. 

That article makes a pretty convincing case for the Chargers, actually.  I still really like them going into this season, if Rivers doesn't fall off.

With Luck dealing with more problems the Colts might be boned.  If he just misses the first two weeks, they still probably lose to the Chargers and the Titans.  If he misses four, he sits out two winnable games against the Falcons and Raiders, and even if he comes back then, it's to travel to the Chiefs and then host the Texans.  Luck misses more than one or two games, and they'll be in a serious hole.  And in what should be a competitive division, that might keep them from the playoffs.

The more I think about it, the more I want to say the Steelers and Saints will underachieve too. Old QBs and rising rivals.

23 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I stopped taking you seriously the second you called Goff an elite QB.

He's certainly shown promise, but calling him an elite QB is laughable. He's a good QB, but elite QB implies that he would be in the same league as QB's like Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, etc. He's not even close.

And while the Chargers defense certainly had it's flaws in that game, Philip Rivers did way better against the Patriots defense than Goff did. Not saying he played great or anything, but the Chargers went down and scored a TD on the first offensive drive of the game before the defense proceeded to give up 4 straight touchdowns on 4 straight drives. The Chargers were also playing in Foxboro in about zero degree weather.

That alone is more than Goff or the Rams offense did all game.

Edited by Bolts223