Which team do you think is overrated and will underachieve?

DigInBoys

8 hours ago, Buckweath said:

Yeah between Mahomes playing very good in that week 17 game against the Broncos, Louis Riddick saying in the offseason that he would take the league over by storm, Peter Schrager saying he was going to torch the league, John Dorsey drafting him and a GM I regard as good as any at talent evaluation, comments from Chiefs players about how he looked amazing in practice, the whole Chiefs staff being very high on Mahomes, a plethora of weapons, etc.

...so if last off-season the Rams called and said, "We'll give you Mahomes for Goff straight up!" you would have hung up the phone?

There should be memes of you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

...so if last off-season the Rams called and said, "We'll give you Mahomes for Goff straight up!" you would have hung up the phone?

Call me a homer but I wouldn’t have

I loved the player. His on field performances had me hooked, and I felt he was an MVP sleeper for 2018.

Winning in Denver with inferior talent in freezing weather—that’s when I knew Mahomes was the guy

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 9:06 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

Yeah, it could be the Browns because their hype is very high.Not always easy to handle big expectations, especially with a young locker room and an rookie head coach.

Another team, the Packers...Even if they finished at 6-9-1 last year and have not won over 10 games since 2014, many think they'll be at least in the race for the NFC North.

I may be wrong, but I do not think it will be the case again this year.

I don't know what to expect from the Pack this year mainly because it takes time for a team with a new coach to gel.  We'll know more in 2020.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:24 AM, Superduperman said:

I've been watching the Packers all off season and thinking they are going to continue to be mediocre or maybe even worse. Rodgers will still win them some games but it's going to be rocky with him and Lafleur this season imo.

What evidence is there that Rodgers and MLF's relationship is going to be rocky?  Just because Rodgers and McCarthy's relationship went south doesn't automatically say this will be a repeat.  

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I would definitly have said no. 

Watson was drafted just two spots after Mahomes and had that great rookie season while Mahomes was sitting on the bench. I don't think there's many Chiefs fans at any point in time that would have switched Mahomes for Watson.

If you knew the Chiefs official forum, Chiefsplanet, you would know how high the Chiefs fans have been on Mahomes all along.

And you be the one to create the first meme of me. It will be an honour.

15 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Rivers is Elite. If youve had 4 or more seasons with 100 plus passer rating, while throwing for 400 attempts, you are elite. If you made the probowl and playoffs in the same year, with 4 different head coaches, you are elite. Quick, name all the active QBs who have done that.

If you measure elite by mvp, all pro or superbowl, than i guess he isnt elite. But if you use a more consistent streamline formula, he is absolutely ELITE to the highest degree.

Being elite isn't all cut and dry. Being Elite is to be viewed as the top tier. 

Elite right now consists of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Patrick Mahomes*, Aaron Rodgers**, and perhaps Russell Wilson
*Still needs to do it one more season
**May legit not be the same guy he used to be though still a very good QB.

16 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Yes. Absolutely far worse.

PFF had the Rams o-line ranked 6th overall in 2018, Chargers was ranked 30.

Sacks and sack percentage often have just as much to do with the QB himself rather than the O-line. 

Chargers o-line was better in run blocking than it was in pass blocking.

Rivers put up slightly better numbers with worse overall talent around him on offense and without one of the best offensive minds in the game on his side. If they were actually equal Goff would have comfortably higher numbers than Rivers in 2018.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The OL was a big factor in the offense declining, and was downright bad against the Bears, Eagles and Patriots.

It's cool that PFF ranked them 6th, but that's a bit deceiving. I also don't think it's possible for the 30th ranked offensive line to also be a top 10 offense.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. The OL was a big factor in the offense declining, and was downright bad against the Bears, Eagles and Patriots.

It's cool that PFF ranked them 6th, but that's a bit deceiving. I also don't think it's possible for the 30th ranked offensive line to also be a top 10 offense.

It is when you have a veteran QB who can get rid of the ball extremely fast and have got WR's and RB's to go along with it.

The Chargers o-line was absolutely awful, and still is my biggest concern on this team.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:44 AM, Danger said:

Being elite isn't all cut and dry. Being Elite is to be viewed as the top tier. 

Elite right now consists of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Patrick Mahomes*, Aaron Rodgers**, and perhaps Russell Wilson
*Still needs to do it one more season
**May legit not be the same guy he used to be though still a very good QB.

Thats all suggestive. Depends on how individuals view elite players. 

Not sure how in 2019 you can put Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers but not Rivers.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, Danger said:

What was the formula? Audible the defense? 

Pederson has always just outgunned McVay but Schwartz never really but the kabosh on them.

2. Adaptability: A surprise coverage

Matt Patricia, the Lions head coach who worked under Belichick, shares his mentor’s tactical ingenuity. Patricia left the Patriots after their loss to the Eagles in Super Bowl LII, but the defensive blueprint he created this year helped his former team avenge that defeat, which Belichick admitted after the game.

“We felt like if we could make them drive it, make ‘em earn it — similar to what the Lions did — to make them just run a lot of plays and get them into third down, we felt like we could get them off the field on third down. Ultimately, we were able to do that.”

This may be the closest the Lions get to winning a Super Bowl in a while, so enjoy it, Detroit. But seriously, Patricia’s gameplan for the Rams offense was a good one, and it’s easy to see its influence on what New England did to stifle McVay’s offensive machine. One of the tactics Belichick borrowed from his former pupil was a special coverage I had not seen the Patriots, Lions or any other NFL defense run outside of New England’s and Detroit’s games against the Rams this season.

In a typical zone defense, there are two levels of coverage, so offenses will run three-level stretches to create a numbers advantage.

The bulk of the Rams’ play-action passing game is made up of three-level stretches. So, against Los Angeles, Patricia simply added a third level to his zone defense, with the strong safety (black circle) playing in between the second- and third levels of the defense in order to defend the intermediate crossing routes (yellow circle) that power the Rams’ play-action game.

Though Patricia’s coverage calls did put his safety in a position to cover those crossing routes, it’s a big ask to have him run with burners like Brandin Cooks and Robert Woods — or in this case, even Josh Reynolds.

Not wanting to ask too much of a safety, Belichick put cornerback Jonathan Jones, who ran a 4.33 at the NFL combine, in that role. He believed he was best suited for the job of chasing Cooks and Woods across the field.

The plan mostly worked. The one play where Jones’ inexperience as a safety showed was on Jason McCourty’s touchdown-saving pass break-up. A miscommunication between Devin McCourty and Jones let Cooks run wide open down the middle of the field.

Bill Belichick is the league’s most resourceful coach. He doesn’t look at players at the bottom of his roster, like Jones, and see lesser versions of his starters. He sees a player with a specific skill-set who, when the situation calls for it, can carry out a job that will help the Patriots win a game.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/super-bowl-53-bill-belichick-gameplan-genius

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 2:05 PM, SBLIII said:

Bears imo. Elite defenses are less sustainable than elite offenses and I don't trust Trubisky.

I believe I read that since 1986 there have only been like 8 or 9 teams that had a higher defensive DVOA than Chicago had last year.  They were literally a historically great defense last year.  So if they decline to like the top 5 to top 10 range, they would still be a good/great defense for that individual season obviously....but that's a hugeeeee drop-off from where they were the pervious year.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:47 PM, Bolts223 said:

I stopped taking you seriously the second you called Goff an elite QB.

He's certainly shown promise, but calling him an elite QB is laughable. He's a good QB, but elite QB implies that he would be in the same league as QB's like Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, etc. He's not even close.

And while the Chargers defense certainly had it's flaws in that game, Philip Rivers did way better against the Patriots defense than Goff did. Not saying he played great or anything, but the Chargers went down and scored a TD on the first offensive drive of the game before the defense proceeded to give up 4 straight touchdowns on 4 straight drives. The Chargers were also playing in Foxboro in about zero degree weather.

That alone is more than Goff or the Rams offense did all game.

Goff was 4th in passing yards last year, how is that not elite?